Clicking/Ticking noise coming from driver side.

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Launch Edition #1455
I have the same sound after I did HKS springs. My guess, it's the top strut mount. Something related to the bearing.
Did you ever get this resolved? I think I have the same issue after installing Swift springs and pretty sure it's the bearings as well. It's not that bad tbh, but instead of buying new OEM mounts, I may just get the Vorshlag camber plates and be done with it.
Sponsored

Jree

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Red 3.0P
Did you ever get this resolved? I think I have the same issue after installing Swift springs and pretty sure it's the bearings as well. It's not that bad tbh, but instead of buying new OEM mounts, I may just get the Vorshlag camber plates and be done with it.
Mine was an air leak from the door seal

Tsuekasa

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium 2018 Wrx Sti Base
Hey i want to bring this thread back to life as now Iā€™m having this exact issue. Vehicle has already been brought into the dealership twice for this issue and now ordering a new wheel bearing. I do believe itā€™s not the wheel bearing as the tech wasnā€™t sure himself.

Hereā€™s what i found from the bmw forums as this was a common problem for them.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1408412

Here are two bmw service bulletins on this issue that is fixed by a ā€œfriction discā€

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10146758-9999.pdf
https://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/articles/8471-make-that-bmw-front-brake-disc-noise-go-away

The problem is that Toyota techs donā€™t have this same information yet...

reNeglect

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra, 2017 BMW X5
When I installed my H&R Lowering springs I noticed this sound as well coming from the passenger side.

I quickly disassembled the shocks and had a look at the bearings and they were "separated" I proceeded to take it all apart and clean out the bearings and inspect it for damage. After that I resembled the bearing with fresh lube and since then no sound....

0xBADC0FFE

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Just chiming in that I have a similar issue. Dealership couldn't find anything but noted that BMW and Lexus have similar issues. Asked a BMW shop to take a look at it. They mentioned the things listed above, will update if problem is fixed.

Tsuekasa

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Just chiming in that I have a similar issue. Dealership couldn't find anything but noted that BMW and Lexus have similar issues. Asked a BMW shop to take a look at it. They mentioned the things listed above, will update if problem is fixed.
Iā€™ve shown the tech about BMW t.I.S . This is what I got so far

Attachments

0xBADC0FFE

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
During front sway bar installation the hubs were cleaned and some anti-seize was used and the clicking went away... For a while... it's now starting to come back after a couple weeks but very faint right now, I'm guessing it'll start getting louder with time.

0xBADC0FFE

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is a far fetched idea but check to make sure tires are not swap from rear to front. If rear wheels are on front, it will rub against strut as well as rub inner tire wall when it's turned all the way to left.
Unfortunately that is not the issue. Issue is still barely noticeable and it seems cleaning out the wheel hub area reduces it again. Doing this each time as I complete other work on the car and it has minimized the issue.

0xBADC0FFE

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The noise is still there...

When we take off the wheels and put them back on while doing other stuff the noise tends to go away for a couple of weeks. Still no steering issues or any other problem...

1slow_mk5

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra. S2000. 328i
Ive heard this noise on a 2021 supra autox-ing. Could it be traction control not off all the way?

Zoopra

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90, TRD Pro Taco
Did anyone ever get this sorted out? Currently experiencing a ticking sound that varies with tire speed when making right turns. Best described as the sound a nail in a tire makes. Iā€™m lowered on tein springs and Iā€™m on a pure 800 with port injection, so itā€™s seen hard pulls. I jacked the car up and pulled on the rear wheels but they felt solid with no play (and no nails). Wondering if one of my stock axles let goā€¦

Tsuekasa

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
My issue was resolved on its own literally. I had my dealership have it multiple times and did not figure it out and even shown them what bmw does to resolve the issue by using a friction spacer. It wasnā€™t my tires because I replaced them and still had the issue. What ever it was, it either flew off or corrected itself after all the noise.

0xBADC0FFE

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did anyone ever get this sorted out? Currently experiencing a ticking sound that varies with tire speed when making right turns. Best described as the sound a nail in a tire makes. Iā€™m lowered on tein springs and Iā€™m on a pure 800 with port injection, so itā€™s seen hard pulls. I jacked the car up and pulled on the rear wheels but they felt solid with no play (and no nails). Wondering if one of my stock axles let goā€¦
My issue was resolved on its own literally. I had my dealership have it multiple times and did not figure it out and even shown them what bmw does to resolve the issue by using a friction spacer. It wasnā€™t my tires because I replaced them and still had the issue. What ever it was, it either flew off or corrected itself after all the noise.
Mine is worse than ever but has no effect on driving, it is only noise. It is only front wheels and only in a turn with weight on it (from cornering).

Itā€™s nice to hear one persons issue went away (presumably for a while now?). I am looking at new tires and brakes soon so maybe this time itā€™ll go away and not come back!

Afterfire

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2006 S2000, 2013 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Ive been hearing this sound for about 3+ months but only recently started investigating by swapping parts around. Its only my drivers side front under cornering load. The rhythm is speed based and is a distinct click that sounds like either plastic on plastic or heavy metal with a very small amount of movement.

I noticed it after a track event where the brake pads backed out on track (its a long story but it COULD be a factor for the noise coming from brake rotors, but I dont remember if I heard it before the pad situation or not). Ive had the wheels off, brake pads off, put factory wheels back on and have a generic idea of where the sound potentially could be but not 100% specific until I can replicate it with the car in the air.

My initial suspects are rotor ring slightly separating from the hat or the strut hat bearing clicking like popularly complained about after lowering due to separation. The hat bearing is what I would normally bet on, but arent there people in here on stock suspension hearing the noise? Thats what makes me consider its the rotor hat separating. Im going to try turning, maintain speed with throttle and gently apply brakes to see if the noise lessens. If so then I know its brake component related.

Something that might help us figure out if we're all experiencing the same issue is to list what we have for mods on the affected wheel and confirm when/how we hear it.

Consistently hearing speed dependent plastic-y clicking on front left wheel only under load:
Stock brake pads daily, HKS springs, 275 Falken rt660's, 18x10 wheel, 10mm spacer, extended lug studs, SPL LCA/caster/endlinks, Eibach FSB, 0* toe, -2.6* camber, 8.1* caster

Clicking completely gone:
OEM wheels, no spacer, Michelin PSS, daily pads, extended lug studs, SPL LCA/caster/endlinks, Eibach FSB, HKS springs

Trying next:
OEM wheel, 10mm spacer
Sponsored