Clicking/Ticking noise coming from driver side.

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
Bumping this thread for a (not really) new solution to the problem.

Even after re-torqueing the lug bolts, eventually the noise would starting coming back and gradually get louder over time. So, I took my Supra to a shop specializing in BMW cars to get this problem checked out.

There is a TSB from BMW that addresses this issue with the clicking noise:
SIB 34 05 17 - TICKING NOISE WHILE CORNERING WITHOUT THE BRAKES APPLIED
This issue is relevant for vehicles with the OEM lightweight brake discs (depicted in the link above).

The front brake discs need to come off, and a thin ring is installed on the wheel bearing flanges.
The part that will fit the Supra is the one listed for the G12/G30:
34 10 6 884 839 - Friction ring (aka Disc for Higher Coefficient)

Before the procedure was done, I had some serious clicking going on. Afterwards, it was about 95% gone. I can still hear a tiny bit of clicking if I'm intently listening for it (windows down, music off, normal driving mode).

The TSB also states to replace the lug bolts if the vehicle is more than 24 months old. My Supra does fall into that category, but the bolts were not replaced during this procedure. So my next step would be to consider doing that and see if it 100% eliminates the issue. If not, the shop suggested it might be a tie rod issue.

Untitled.png
Sponsored

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So the bad news is, after replacing the lug bolts I still get crazy clicking when cornering. Back to the drawing board for me.

vance090

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 supra,03 jeep
2021 with stock suspension clicking on both sides. toyota can't figure it out . anyone fix this yet?

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My car is back in the shop for further diagnosis of the clicking noise. Will update y'all if it ever gets solved

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well, we're probably SOL when it comes to 100% eliminating the clicking noise.

The shop tried something different by applying anti-seize lubricant in between the friction ring and the brake rotor. It has helped again, but still the noise is quite present when cornering.

It is a common issue with BMWs and the lightweight brake rotors (evidently, as there is a TSB for it). Shop owner has previously mentioned to me that it could be a tie rod issue. I've also been told that a M340i which replaced tie rods for this issue had the clicking come back after some time.

It seems to be that the issue may be exacerbated with some aftermarket wheels (I have APEX forged wheels). Which makes sense to me as I do not recall ever hearing this clicking on stock wheels.

I guess I've seen enough to feel confident that this clicking won't result in a more serious problem later on. It's just an annoyance I'll have to live with.

• Sad
Reactions: B54

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
After the last maintenance on the car I started noticing some kind of thunk.
It happens when braking slightly or letting go of the accelerator at slow speeds.
It only happens after driving for a while.

At the moment our local dealer has not located the cause of it yet.

Is the below video sounding like the issue you guys are describing?
Please note I have removed some background noise and upped the sound gain.

Quite easily heard in the 3rd (last) video fragment:

Last edited:

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
After the last maintenance on the car I started noticing some kind of thunk.
It happens when braking slightly or letting go of the accelerator at slow speeds.
It only happens after driving for a while.

At the moment our local dealer has not located the cause of it yet.

Is the below video sounding like the issue you guys are describing?
Please note I have removed some background noise and upped the sound gain.

Quite easily heard in the 3rd (last) video fragment:
No, that is a different noise. The one I am experiencing is a distinct rhythmic click.

This is just a wild guess, were your brake pads changed? I know some people started having a similar noise after brake pad change. Applying some kind of adhesive to the back of the pads solved that

Reactions: B54

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
No, that is a different noise. The one I am experiencing is a distinct rhythmic click.

This is just a wild guess, were your brake pads changed? I know some people started having a similar noise after brake pad change. Applying some kind of adhesive to the back of the pads solved that
The brakes weren't changed. Only brake fluid. All is still factory.
I'll forward the mention of adhesive to the mechanic. Thanks baagel!

3TMagnetMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
Ive been hearing this sound for about 3+ months but only recently started investigating by swapping parts around. Its only my drivers side front under cornering load. The rhythm is speed based and is a distinct click that sounds like either plastic on plastic or heavy metal with a very small amount of movement.

I noticed it after a track event where the brake pads backed out on track (its a long story but it COULD be a factor for the noise coming from brake rotors, but I dont remember if I heard it before the pad situation or not). Ive had the wheels off, brake pads off, put factory wheels back on and have a generic idea of where the sound potentially could be but not 100% specific until I can replicate it with the car in the air.

My initial suspects are rotor ring slightly separating from the hat or the strut hat bearing clicking like popularly complained about after lowering due to separation. The hat bearing is what I would normally bet on, but arent there people in here on stock suspension hearing the noise? Thats what makes me consider its the rotor hat separating. Im going to try turning, maintain speed with throttle and gently apply brakes to see if the noise lessens. If so then I know its brake component related.

Something that might help us figure out if we're all experiencing the same issue is to list what we have for mods on the affected wheel and confirm when/how we hear it.

Consistently hearing speed dependent plastic-y clicking on front left wheel only under load:
Stock brake pads daily, HKS springs, 275 Falken rt660's, 18x10 wheel, 10mm spacer, extended lug studs, SPL LCA/caster/endlinks, Eibach FSB, 0* toe, -2.6* camber, 8.1* caster

Clicking completely gone:
OEM wheels, no spacer, Michelin PSS, daily pads, extended lug studs, SPL LCA/caster/endlinks, Eibach FSB, HKS springs

Trying next:
OEM wheel, 10mm spacer
I have HKS Springs, Eibach Sway Bars and Verus Camber plates and 10mm Spacer on OEM wheel and have the clicking noise on both sides. When making right turns hard the drivers side would click. Then when making left turns hard the passenger side would click. Car handles great and no issues with drivability. Maybe I'll get a loud exhaust so I dont hear it or roll my windows up lol. My next action is the 10mm Spacers I will take them off and see if that changes anything.

Aaronfn

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
I have HKS Springs, Eibach Sway Bars and Verus Camber plates and 10mm Spacer on OEM wheel and have the clicking noise on both sides. When making right turns hard the drivers side would click. Then when making left turns hard the passenger side would click. Car handles great and no issues with drivability. Maybe I'll get a loud exhaust so I dont hear it or roll my windows up lol. My next action is the 10mm Spacers I will take them off and see if that changes anything.
I had something similar with mine after I put my sway bars on. since I did them I was sure I just didnā€™t have them tightened down to what they should be, went back hit all the nuts with and impact gun and havenā€™t heard it since

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I should add that I'm experiencing all this on stock suspension.

vance090

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 supra,03 jeep
Here is what I'm experiencing. Completely stock suspension/wheels

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor

Curious what MY everyone having this has...

That TSB doesnā€™t seem terrible. Annoying if persistent, but not like a safety issue, so thatā€™s good.