Clunking Sound at Low Speeds?

ry0de

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
So I’ve tried to get two dealerships to look at it and they’ve told me two different things. The first dealership said it was due to the brake pads shifting. The second dealership believes that it’s the aftermarket front lip that’s making that sound. Both dealerships checked my suspension system and did not find any problems. I don’t believe either claims, but I’m getting brand new brake pads this weekend, so hopefully it stops. Any thoughts on what this noise could be? The noise is worse at low speeds and occurs when going straight or turning the wheel. It also seems to be coming from the front of the vehicle.

Sponsored

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
What are you doing in the video? I see the car in D around 700 RPM. Are you just coasting to a stop? Hitting the brake? Idling? Is the AC on?

More info req'd.

OP
OP

ry0de

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
What are you doing in the video? I see the car in D around 700 RPM. Are you just coasting to a stop? Hitting the brake? Idling? Is the AC on?

More info req'd.
I was just pulling into my garage. So at low speeds. I’m lightly pressing the brakes, but this sound occurs without hitting the brakes at low speeds. The AC is on.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Brake pads shifting doesn't make sense, but brake related makes sense. The whooshing + clicking makes me think the car needs a brake bleed. There could also be a leak in the vacuum hose going to/from the brake booster, which would lead to lazy/clicky brake caliper pistons.

OP
OP

ry0de

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Brake pads shifting doesn't make sense, but brake related makes sense. The whooshing + clicking makes me think the car needs a brake bleed. There could also be a leak in the vacuum hose going to/from the brake booster, which would lead to lazy/clicky brake caliper pistons.
I’m getting new aftermarket brake pads installed this weekend (Powerstop Z16s). Typically they do brake bleeds during install right? I’ll update this thread once I get those pads installed.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I’m getting new aftermarket brake pads installed this weekend (Powerstop Z16s). Typically they do brake bleeds during install right? I’ll update this thread once I get those pads installed.
No, a pad change doesn't include a brake bleed. That's an extra service that takes about an hour (+/-30m depending on tools and staff).

OP
OP

ry0de

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
No, a pad change doesn't include a brake bleed. That's an extra service that takes about an hour (+/-30m depending on tools and staff).
Oh I see. Well they’ll inspect the brake system beforehand, so maybe they can decide if it’s necessary for a brake bleed.

OP
OP

ry0de

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I actually saw this post but I’m not sure where exactly this is located at for LHD. I know I have to get under the car, but I’m not sure where it is exactly at.
Just inside the drivers side wheel well. If you take the drivers side front wheel off you can follow the steering tie rod and it’s right in there. Hope you have tiny hands!

OP
OP

ry0de

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Will I need to apply grease or do I just need to tighten something?

RAWSupra

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
best way is to jack car up ... remove large aluminum skid plate ... you will then easily access the nut in question ... my recomendation is to turn it clockwise by 1/16th of a turn .. if its made a difference then ...remove, clean and regrease as per thread..

RHD cars have it easier as it 'can' be accessed under the airbox.

Mine is still silent after doing this regreasing a year ago.

Note: Symptoms of this issue are highlighted at low speeds over rough ground and worse when car is warm.

OP
OP

ry0de

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
best way is to jack car up ... remove large aluminum skid plate ... you will then easily access the nut in question ... my recomendation is to turn it clockwise by 1/16th of a turn .. if its made a difference then ...remove, clean and regrease as per thread..

Note: Symptoms of this issue are highlighted at low speeds over rough ground and worse when car is warm.
I have an appointment to get my brakes done by a shop. I can ask them to take a look at it since they’ll have the car jacked up anyways.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I think it's the brake pads. These cars come with adhesives on the backside to prevent rattles.

You know, I had issues on my Golf-R when I swapped to Brembo pads.. rattled/clunked like some metal to metal noise. I swapped back to stock no issue, then swapped to some Japanese brand pads and no issue.

OP
OP

ry0de

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium

I read the thread again and saw that you added grease to steering rack thrust bush. Do you think I can use this: Liqui Moly 2003 Mos2 Long-Life Grease, 100 ml https://a.co/d/dkxPJgq instead of the FB-1 from BMW?
Sponsored