razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
adhesive may have used during manufacturing process
Even though you are still being hard headed and say "may have been used", I'll take this as admitting you where wrong after overwhelming evidence.

Easy to see who does and does not actually work on their own cars here.
Sponsored

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
They are definitely glued. No doubt about it. I had to use a putty knife to separate it from the pistons. Iā€™ve done countless brakes in my years and have never seen adhesive on pads before too. Also, I know the difference between the caked on anti-squeal/grease mixed with brake dust that you guys are talking about versus this sticky adhesive stuff.

If it is missing shims, then I donā€™t know what else there is because here is a pic of the z26 pads before installation and you can see the metal shims already attached to the back of the pads, exactly like the OEM pads. I will try to put more lubrication grease on the slides like suggested and give that a try.

I really really appreciate all the help and feedback guys, no need to get worked up. šŸ‘

7D00A1AA-05FC-40C7-AF7A-3CD3F147F65D.jpeg

shim is definitely there from the manufacturer. have you tried to put oem shim on it? assuming oem did not make the noise, oem shim could determine if the pad is right size. that's what I had to do. shim does work as spring.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Anyone have a service manual who can check on the brake pad replacement?

Want to see if there is any glue listed in there.. the video Iā€™ve seen definitely needed some serious encouragement using a big screw driver to pull out the pads from the front calipers.

I personally have done many pad changes, but never had to pull out a screw driver to do the work. Reminds me of my pops with a crappy set of tools pulling out a pair of pliers for everything. :crazy:

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
shim is definitely there from the manufacturer. have you tried to put oem shim on it? assuming oem did not make the noise, oem shim could determine if the pad is right size. that's what I had to do. shim does work as spring.
I did not try that but I could. Thanks for the suggestion. However, I did put the OEM pads back on and the clunk is still there.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
I did not try that but I could. Thanks for the suggestion. However, I did put the OEM pads back on and the clunk is still there.
good to know. Assuming this is not something loose within the car and only related to brake, other possibility is loose caliper or rotor which is a bit more serious concerning than pads. other steps to diagnose is below.

1. Completely lift car. preferably all 4 wheels or at least 2 wheels front or rear off the ground and nothing touches.
2. have someone gently press brake pedal.
3. try to roll tires back and forth. see if you can hear same clunk.
4. if you do, try to find out where the sound is coming from or where the movement is.

in normal condition, you should not be able to move roll the tire at all.

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
good to know. Assuming this is not something loose within the car and only related to brake, other possibility is loose caliper or rotor which is a bit more serious concerning than pads. other steps to diagnose is below.

1. Completely lift car. preferably all 4 wheels or at least 2 wheels front or rear off the ground and nothing touches.
2. have someone gently press brake pedal.
3. try to roll tires back and forth. see if you can hear same clunk.
4. if you do, try to find out where the sound is coming from or where the movement is.

in normal condition, you should not be able to move roll the tire at all.
Good idea. Iā€™ll try this too. šŸ‘

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
I just swapped out my pads this weekend with the Z23s and there was definitely an adhesive on the oem pads...turned a 5min. job into a 20 min. one :rolleyes:

I am now getting a clunk when moving forward/backward. I think I'll try slapping some CRC disc brake quiet on the backing plates, to see if that helps.

480Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 Supra
Just showing up to say that there IS in fact adhesive on the stock pads. Here's a snippet from the shop manual. So you're not insane my friend.

FrontDisc.jpg

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yep.. the reason why my aftermarket pads have been sitting on my work bench since summer.. not sure whether the noise is worth the lower dust. :hmm: ..given my Supra is driven 1k miles a year..:dunno:

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Yep.. the reason why my aftermarket pads have been sitting on my work bench since summer.. not sure whether the noise is worth the lower dust. :hmm: ..given my Supra is driven 1k miles a year..:dunno:
Surprised you donā€™t have them in your purse.

šŸ˜šŸ˜Ž

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
You might be fine swapping them to your aftermarket ones. In my efforts to get rid of that clunk I actually swapped back to NEW OEM brake pads in the front. Welp that clunk was still there, though I swear itā€™s not as loud or annoying as before. Maybe Iā€™ve gotten used to it, IDK. I now think that it might be from the floating design of my brake rotors but have no clue really.

Hereā€™s even more definitive proof of the adhesive on the OEM brake pads.
288B01D6-4686-40E9-90A9-1E4F63B3684F.jpeg
Sponsored