OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I change out pads every 4 months or so. i have tried stock, Hawk, Mu, CGS, and probably at least one more. CGS are the very best- and I am not alone in this. MU 999 are really really good also

But to answer your question- could just be a loose set for whatever reason, who knows. If you beat on your car at the track things are going to rattle and clunk. I honestly do not know how this thing has put up with my abuse (knocking on wood) for 2 seasons+
Iā€™ve never tracked my car yet but I will at Supras In Vegas this year! Well, thatā€™s just greatā€¦ā€¦. of course the Street/Performance compound of the CSG pads are on back order.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
did your new brake pads came with shims? if it didn't did you transfer shims from OEM to new?

btw, if you have R1concept or powerstop brake pads... never mind..
The shims won't stop this issue, this is from two possible things... The actual backing plate (the metal bit that the pad compound is stuck to) on the pad not fitting tight in the caliper so the whole pad can shift forward/backward when braking in reverse and then moving forward. Other possible thing are the tabs on the top of the backing plate that the two metal rods go through are bigger than the rod OD and that + the backing plate not being tight enough in the caliper creates the same problem.

You can't have the backing plate be too tight or the pads won't move in/out toward the rotor smoothly.

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. BTW, I asked the manufacturer if that issue could cause any damage or lead to brake failure and they said no. My installer, who specializes in BMW, said the same thing.
Iā€™m glad that itā€™s not a safety issue, according to them. Itā€™s just annoying though hearing that coming from your car you know?

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The shims won't stop this issue, this is from two possible things... The actual backing plate (the metal bit that the pad compound is stuck to) on the pad not fitting tight in the caliper so the whole pad can shift forward/backward when braking in reverse and then moving forward. Other possible thing are the tabs on the top of the backing plate that the two metal rods go through are bigger than the rod OD and that + the backing plate not being tight enough in the caliper creates the same problem.

You can't have the backing plate be too tight or the pads won't move in/out toward the rotor smoothly.
Yes I noticed a little bit of play on those holes for the metal pins. Itā€™s definitely a combination of both issues you mention.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Yes I noticed a little bit of play on those holes for the metal pins. Itā€™s definitely a combination of both issues you mention.
Good news is it's just an annoyance, not an actual mechanical problem. I had the same sounds on most of the cars I have tracked for decades with zero issues.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota

The backing plate you referring to might be the shim I'm talking about. had exact issue recently and transplanted shims from stock pad and the noise is gone.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
The backing plate you referring to might be the shim I'm talking about. had exact issue recently and transplanted shims from stock pad and the noise is gone.
No, the backing plate is the thick steel plate the pad material is adhered to.

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
that would be a major defect from manufacturer which this issue doesn't sound like.

try shims. it should be a simple fix if it's still available.
It is a very minor defect that probably got missed by QA. As I mentioned above, Power Stop customer service said it was not dangerous in any way and they sent me replacement front pads, free of charge.

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
Hi all,

So I replaced my brake pads and rotors a few weeks ago and now I am hearing some odd noise when I press the brakes. It happens only when I change from going forward to reverse, then again from reverse to forward. So for example, I am going to reverse so I press the brakes, start to reverse then clunk, I hear the sound. Then go from reverse to forward, I still have my foot on the brakes, shift to drive, release the brakes then clunk, I hear that sound again. It only happens when changing direction. After going forwards I never hear any noise again while Iā€™m driving unless I try to reverse.

Have any of you guys that have changed your pads heard any weird noise like this? I checked for anything that could be loose and couldnā€™t find any obvious issue. I wonder if itā€™s because the new pads are not glued to the calipers like OEM?

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Well guys I tried to put the stock pads back this weekend and the issue is still there. I know itā€™s not a safety issue but Iā€™d like to fix it because to me it gives the car that cheap feeling hearing weird noises like that. I really think this is why they glued the pads to the calipers. Anybody have any idea what kind of adhesive to use in this situation?

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
This normally has to do with the retainer clips and pads. They move back and forth on the stops and make a clicking sound on the pins. Should not impact functionality but more if an annoyance. I have a Supra and have used all kinds of pads and rotors on over 50 track days. And recently upgraded to big brakes. So happy to discuss if needed.

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
This normally has to do with the retainer clips and pads. They move back and forth on the stops and make a clicking sound on the pins. Should not impact functionality but more if an annoyance. I have a Supra and have used all kinds of pads and rotors on over 50 track days. And recently upgraded to big brakes. So happy to discuss if needed.
Have any of the pads youā€™ve used NOT had this issue? As someone suggested above, they have not had noise issues with CSG pads. Also, what BBK did you upgrade to and do those have the same issue with the pads sliding around?
Sponsored