Brakes making clicking/clunking noises

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
This normally has to do with the retainer clips and pads. They move back and forth on the stops and make a clicking sound on the pins. Should not impact functionality but more if an annoyance. I have a Supra and have used all kinds of pads and rotors on over 50 track days. And recently upgraded to big brakes. So happy to discuss if needed.
Have any of the pads youā€™ve used NOT had this issue? As someone suggested above, they have not had noise issues with CSG pads. Also, what BBK did you upgrade to and do those have the same issue with the pads sliding around?
I did not have this with any of the pads and stock caliper. Did you get the clips on correctly so they have tension on the top? Also I grease all the points.pad seat, back of pad and piston and even pins / clips. With high temp brake grease. I had to run upgraded calipers with no clips and got the clunking noise as it just had the pins

BE341D32-FF8B-4AB5-8286-2485E11BED25.jpeg

872D1075-C795-4C2D-A1D9-B0570C8FB79C.jpeg

282E4A28-4A22-4723-A1D1-D3FC6847C510.jpeg
Sponsored

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
If you want to chat give me a call 602. 327. 1768 as is hard to do my messages. I am happy to discuss

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
So is this frequently experienced on PowerStop Z26 installs? :crazy: Cause I have a new set and wondering if I should try them out or just return them..

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
Pads should gave nothing to do with it. I have used Z26. They are a good street performance pad and better than stock. Not really for track use but will work on track just depends on what level you are getting to.

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
All of you would hate driving Evos if a click in the pads when changing driving direction irks you. ;)
The Supra isnā€™t an Evo though and I donā€™t consider my car a track car either. I like the refinement of it in certain things if you know what I mean. It does bother me when simple things like brake pad changes result in stuff like this. And yes, Iā€™ve checked the install twice now and put the stock pads back. šŸ¤£ It still clunks.

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
So is this frequently experienced on PowerStop Z26 installs? :crazy: Cause I have a new set and wondering if I should try them out or just return them..
Iā€™d leave it with the stock pads if this would bug you. The brake dust isnā€™t as annoying as the clunk sound in my opinion.

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I did not have this with any of the pads and stock caliper. Did you get the clips on correctly so they have tension on the top? Also I grease all the points.pad seat, back of pad and piston and even pins / clips. With high temp brake grease. I had to run upgraded calipers with no clips and got the clunking noise as it just had the pins

BE341D32-FF8B-4AB5-8286-2485E11BED25.jpeg

872D1075-C795-4C2D-A1D9-B0570C8FB79C.jpeg

282E4A28-4A22-4723-A1D1-D3FC6847C510.jpeg
Yes I made sure the clips are installed correctly like stock. The front pads donā€™t have any extra shims to install. The metal plate with the Powerstop logo is already attached to the back of the pads. I did add anti squeal brake grease as well.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
The Supra isnā€™ an Evo though and I donā€™t consider my car a track car either. I like the refinement of it in certain things if you know what I mean. It does bother me when simple things like brake pad changes result in stuff like this. And yes, Iā€™ve checked the install twice now and put the stock pads back. šŸ¤£ It still clunks.
Agreed. I was just making a snarky comment. ;)

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The Supra isnā€™t an Evo though and I donā€™t consider my car a track car either. I like the refinement of it in certain things if you know what I mean. It does bother me when simple things like brake pad changes result in stuff like this. And yes, Iā€™ve checked the install twice now and put the stock pads back. šŸ¤£ It still clunks.
Okay, so the brake pads were not the issue? WTF..? :hmm:

I read the stock pads are GLUED to the front pistons.. maybe that is the reason why they glue the pads.. to eliminate clunk noise?

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
Then only other thought is double checking all bolts for caliper brackets if they are loose could get a clunk. If it is doing it on the stock ones and clips are on correctly on the top of pins then bolts are last thought. Can you take a pic of the install.

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, so the brake pads were not the issue? WTF..? :hmm:
I put the stock pads back trying to see if there was any difference between them and the Z26 pads causing the clunk. Iā€™m almost 100% sure itā€™s because they are not stuck back into place with adhesive like the stock pads were BEFORE I removed them. Any suggestions for adhesive and Iā€™ll try that next.

I think the z26 pads would be fine WITH ADHESIVE. šŸ‘

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Then only other thought is double checking all bolts for caliper brackets if they are loose could get a clunk. If it is doing it on the stock ones and clips are on correctly on the top of pins then bolts are last thought. Can you take a pic of the install.
I wonā€™t be able to take pics until the next time I find time to work on the car. Any high temp adhesive suggestions?

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dang.. I can diagnose problems over the internets! :flame:

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
I wonā€™t be able to take pics until the next time I find time to work on the car. Any high temp adhesive suggestions?
The ones I have used are permatex high temp one is purple and also an orange one
Sponsored