Clutch Slipping on stock A91 MT...

UYCR

First Name
Ubec
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91-MT
Is adding 50% more torque than stock and getting slippage surprising to you?

What torque levels are the other people running that are getting clutch slip?

Upgrading the clutch when going for big power is expected. I'd hope it would be able to handle something like a pump gas tune though. I just haven't heard of anyone talking about that scenario yet. TJ was on pump gas but obviously was putting way more stress on the clutch than a street car would see.
Not surprised, just a bit of a let down that Toyota wouldn't put in a clutch that can handle a proper pump gas tune that squeezes out what the stock turbo can do. Even on off the shelf tunes most tend to hit very close to those numbers.
Sponsored

kanaka

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 JZA80
Is adding 50% more torque than stock and getting slippage surprising to you?
This is actually pretty surprising to me. Most of the BMW guys start to see clutch slippage at close to 600wtq. For a car this new and this refined, I would expect better at numbers in the 400s

puckshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 CU Later A91-MT
This is actually pretty surprising to me. Most of the BMW guys start to see clutch slippage at close to 600wtq. For a car this new and this refined, I would expect better at numbers in the 400s
Isnā€™t that exactly what weā€™re seeing: slippage at 600wtq.

Whoā€™s slipping in the 400s? Iā€™m not trying to be a pain in the ass. I just havenā€™t seen anybody post those numbers and say theyā€™re slipping. All I heard was some other tuned manuals were seeing some slipping but no mention of numbers. That would definitely be disappointing if thatā€™s the case.

puckshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 CU Later A91-MT
Not surprised, just a bit of a let down that Toyota wouldn't put in a clutch that can handle a proper pump gas tune that squeezes out what the stock turbo can do. Even on off the shelf tunes most tend to hit very close to those numbers.
I should clarify, when I say pump gas I mean 93/91, not an E blend and definitely not meth injection. I havenā€™t seen people reaching anywhere close to 600 wtq on 93 alone.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Why does Toyota, taking a modified BMW gearbox and associated clutch owe you a tune level clutch above stock power lol? They owe you a working clutch that is designed to handle the power assigned to the specification.

To be clear from a makers point of view - Anything you add power - wise is the user/owners problem not the makers. Good luck with your logic as most dealers seeing a tune are going to zeroize the drive train/clutch gearbox rather quickly in terms of warranty. That is an utter given in this world. Dont agree with such an assessment then you will need to 'lawyer up' when the warranty is gone after you tune, and your clutch is slipping.

The slipping of a clutch on stock power is not at all unusual due to bad parts or assembly/installation. Sure thats possible. Even then we see dealers in the USA quick to not warranty that given clutch. Leaving the car stock until the clutch is out of warranty (clutch is what 12000 miles in the US) then tuning and applying the upgraded clutch would be the prudent thing to do and a much safer route.

Last edited:

kanaka

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 JZA80
Isnā€™t that exactly what weā€™re seeing: slippage at 600wtq.

Whoā€™s slipping in the 400s? Iā€™m not trying to be a pain in the ass. I just havenā€™t seen anybody post those numbers and say theyā€™re slipping. All I heard was some other tuned manuals were seeing some slipping but no mention of numbers. That would definitely be disappointing if thatā€™s the case.
Not being a pain in the ass but defending your MT to the very end, we get it..

Isaleus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CUL A91-MT , 2008 Orange GMC Canyon
Not a clutch expert here but did some research, the CDV seems to a problem when running the car at a higher threshold and has been in BMW platforms for some time. From my amateur gatherings the CDV prevents constant use of the clutch on events such as drifting. Not sure if thatā€™s a problem? But removing seems to aid the shift from 1st to 2nd which is rough.

wonder if anyone has done this yet to a supra

UYCR

First Name
Ubec
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91-MT
I should clarify, when I say pump gas I mean 93/91, not an E blend and definitely not meth injection. I havenā€™t seen people reaching anywhere close to 600 wtq on 93 alone.
Same here, I was also referring to a 93 oct tune. My friend is from PR so e85 isnā€™t something that is found at the pump anyways.

OP
OP
NitroYellowMKV

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Not sure how you came to that conclusion. I've only see 1 failure on here and he was on stock power and we got no details on the failure. Nitro hasn't had a failure yet to my knowledge. Just an intermittent issue. 1 other member seemed to be having a tune issue, not a clutch issue.

TJ was drifting the car and we don't know what failed on the clutch yet either.

So what other clutch failures have you seen?
Coming up at 5k miles and since last thread this specific issue has not come up. But I will say, for a few hours last week this thing was an absolute dog, no power, running terribly, shifts felt delayed and slow. It was in the 80ā€™s and I got on a few times but later that day on the same tank of fuel it was totally fine (rules out bad fuel, probably) like I was extremely upset the car didnā€™t feel broken in a specific sense but everything felt worse. Like I was driving a China clone a91 mt, Iā€™ve also pretty much fully taken off or apart every piece of plastic and speaker covers. The rattles on this 23 make my 20 feel like a rolls compared. I really have days where I love this car and other days where I want to go buy an m2 for the sake of build quality, Iā€™m currently in la renting an m440 and itā€™s definitely better built.

puckshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 CU Later A91-MT
Coming up at 5k miles and since last thread this specific issue has not come up. But I will say, for a few hours last week this thing was an absolute dog, no power, running terribly, shifts felt delayed and slow. It was in the 80ā€™s and I got on a few times but later that day on the same tank of fuel it was totally fine (rules out bad fuel, probably) like I was extremely upset the car didnā€™t feel broken in a specific sense but everything felt worse. Like I was driving a China clone a91 mt, Iā€™ve also pretty much fully taken off or apart every piece of plastic and speaker covers. The rattles on this 23 make my 20 feel like a rolls compared. I really have days where I love this car and other days where I want to go buy an m2 for the sake of build quality, Iā€™m currently in la renting an m440 and itā€™s definitely better built.
Well glad the clutch is behaving but that's weird about that other issue. Hopefully that was just a fluke.

I'm at 4k miles and do have a minor dash rattle that's been there since day 1. It sounds like it's the front passenger corner of the carbon fiber shifter surround. It comes and goes and hasn't bugged me too much. I'm coming from a WRX so my standards are pretty low lol

puppers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 A91-MT
I'm just about to hit 5700 miles and I do have a similar experience about 25% of the time where it just feels like the car has no power, then I park it, get back in and WOT and it's powerful again haha.

Lucky I don't have any rattles yet.

Eddy90

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra MT
Is the bogging down issue similar to the ones on the auto where the TCS was being a dick and pre-emptively messing with the throttle when moving from 1st?

Sorry to hear about the rattles. If i hear them now, i know im not alone :(
Sponsored