Clutch Slipping on stock A91 MT...

kanaka

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 JZA80
Of course a stock clutch isn't going to hold up to that kind of abuse.
But sad it only lasted about 20 minutes. What does that translate to normal - average pulls and abuse?

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2007 4Runner
But sad it only lasted about 20 minutes. What does that translate to normal - average pulls and abuse?
He also said it was tuned to 480whp. In normal driving you aren't going to be roasting the clutch like you would drifting.

kanaka

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 JZA80
He also said it was tuned to 480whp. In normal driving you aren't going to be roasting the clutch like you would drifting.
480whp is not too big of a jump in power considering a large majority of A90 / A91 owners look to tune their car (whether the ECU is unlockable or not)

MKVDevo

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23' Stratosphere Blue Premium 3.0
what part of the clutch failed? I spent 15 years drifting a different chassis and 20 minutes of clutch kicking shouldn't kill anything.

xkyo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra MT prem/2020 AG Taco Pro/Model Y perform
Not a clutch expert here but did some research, the CDV seems to a problem when running the car at a higher threshold and has been in BMW platforms for some time. From my amateur gatherings the CDV prevents constant use of the clutch on events such as drifting. Not sure if that’s a problem? But removing seems to aid the shift from 1st to 2nd which is rough.

kanaka

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 JZA80
Not a clutch expert here but did some research, the CDV seems to a problem when running the car at a higher threshold and has been in BMW platforms for some time. From my amateur gatherings the CDV prevents constant use of the clutch on events such as drifting. Not sure if that’s a problem? But removing seems to aid the shift from 1st to 2nd which is rough.

I saw the comment on the video from his viewers and although that's probably a big issue for BMW MT owners, I think his issue might be slightly different. Time will tell once he pulls it all apart

UYCR

First Name
Ubec
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91-MT
TJ Hunt just roasted his stock clutch.

Apparently his contact at ACT will be making a clutch for these cars.

If it's not SouthBend, I'm all ears.

You can look up the video, he's popular amongst the children who use words like "drip" and "bet" and "lit".

No cap, frfr.
No surprise there. Any MT owner that has read through any of the clutch threads can pretty much agree that the stock clutch can only handle stock power. That's why pretty much anyone who has gotten a tune on theirs it taking it easy for now until the aftermarket support gets here.

puckshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 CU Later A91-MT
No surprise there. Any MT owner that has read through any of the clutch threads can pretty much agree that the stock clutch can only handle stock power. That's why pretty much anyone who has gotten a tune on theirs it taking it easy for now until the aftermarket support gets here.
Not sure how you came to that conclusion. I've only see 1 failure on here and he was on stock power and we got no details on the failure. Nitro hasn't had a failure yet to my knowledge. Just an intermittent issue. 1 other member seemed to be having a tune issue, not a clutch issue.

TJ was drifting the car and we don't know what failed on the clutch yet either.

So what other clutch failures have you seen?

kern417

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 440i
This is the key. the clutch can hold torque, but if you're doing a lot of burnouts/slamming gears/etc it wears out fast. in that case it makes more sense to get a beefier clutch with material that can handle the heat.

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not sure how you came to that conclusion. I've only see 1 failure on here and he was on stock power and we got no details on the failure. Nitro hasn't had a failure yet to my knowledge. Just an intermittent issue. 1 other member seemed to be having a tune issue, not a clutch issue.

There was another guy making 600+ ft lbs of torque that was starting to slip. I think he was using it for drag racing though.

puckshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 CU Later A91-MT
There was another guy making 600+ ft lbs of torque that was starting to slip. I think he was using it for drag racing though.
That would be asking a lot of any stock clutch. I still don't see how that means stock clutch can only handle stock power. It would be very unusual for engineers to not design in any headroom. I'm just saying so far we don't know the limits and we're not seeing widespread failures either.

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That would be asking a lot of any stock clutch. I still don't see how that means stock clutch can only handle stock power. It would be very unusual for engineers to not design in any headroom. I'm just saying so far we don't know the limits and we're not seeing widespread failures either.
I'm not saying it's only good for stock power. That was someone else.

I'm guessing this whole clutch slipping thing is going to be a non-issue in the long run. I'm sure there will be a few early build cars with issues but generally ZF clutches hold up pretty well even with a decent bump in torque.

UYCR

First Name
Ubec
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91-MT

I have posted on several occasions about my friend’s supra who is pushing 500whp and 610ft-lb and had the clutch slipping when he took it to the drag strip to try the tune. Several others who are tuned have also expressed how they are taking it easy on the car for this same reason with some even having experienced some level of slippage.

puckshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 CU Later A91-MT
I have posted on several occasions about my friend’s supra who is pushing 500whp and 610ft-lb and had the clutch slipping when he took it to the drag strip to try the tune. Several others who are tuned have also expressed how they are taking it easy on the car for this same reason with some even having experienced some level of slippage.
Is adding 50% more torque than stock and getting slippage surprising to you?

What torque levels are the other people running that are getting clutch slip?

Upgrading the clutch when going for big power is expected. I'd hope it would be able to handle something like a pump gas tune though. I just haven't heard of anyone talking about that scenario yet. TJ was on pump gas but obviously was putting way more stress on the clutch than a street car would see.
Sponsored