Clutch Slipping on stock A91 MT...

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Being the devil's advocate - how low are the rpms? Accelerating in High Gear/Low RPM scenarios is a recipe for a bad time. It's almost always better to downshift. 5th gear is 1:1.
Hmm.. In my Type R I have been driving on the same clutch for over 200,000kms and occasionally I do exactly this: I sometimes leave it in fourth from relatively low speed/rpm and enjoy pulling all the way up to redline at 8600rpm. Sure, if the revs are way too slow you judder but if not, I don't see a problem with doing this when the revs start high enough. Am I missing something?
Sponsored

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2007 4Runner
Hmm.. In my Type R I have been driving on the same clutch for over 200,000kms and occasionally I do exactly this: I sometimes leave it in fourth from relatively low speed/rpm and enjoy pulling all the way up to redline at 8600rpm. Sure, if the revs are way too slow you judder but if not, I don't see a problem with doing this when the revs start high enough. Am I missing something?
It's more of an issue on turbo motors than N/A.

kingdooksdb

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
I have around 4500 milesā€¦ Iā€™m partial unlocked with intake downpipe Chargepipe and OTS aggressive tune from BM3ā€¦. I give her sauce often the only time I feel loss of power is when I donā€™t turn off traction control and the car goes hey buddy we are spinningā€¦. Once VSC is off so are all the betsā€¦ car been driving fineā€¦ā€¦ DOESNT MEAN I wonā€™t upgrade my clutch though

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
I have around 4500 milesā€¦ Iā€™m partial unlocked with intake downpipe Chargepipe and OTS aggressive tune from BM3ā€¦. I give her sauce often the only time I feel loss of power is when I donā€™t turn off traction control and the car goes hey buddy we are spinningā€¦. Once VSC is off so are all the betsā€¦ car been driving fineā€¦ā€¦ DOESNT MEAN I wonā€™t upgrade my clutch though
glad you're doing fine bro. this thread needs good news lol

MKVDevo

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23' Stratosphere Blue Premium 3.0
We haven't confirmed that yet, but it's our main suspicion as of now.
Considering the symptoms sound similar to clutch damper box issues from the 90's, I would like to think the problem is in the delay valve.

kern417

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 440i
It's not just low rpm but high gears. Not sure what your Type R gearing is but if the gear is below 1:1, I always downshift to accelerate (i.e. more than 50% throttle) and use the over drive gear(s) for cruising and normal driving. That's also why the clutch tends to slip in high gears first when it's worn. When you're in low gears, the torque multiplier does all the work.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
It's not just low rpm but high gears. Not sure what your Type R gearing is but if the gear is below 1:1, I always downshift to accelerate (i.e. more than 50% throttle) and use the over drive gear(s) for cruising and normal driving.
Yeah I don't do it all the time.. just sometimes pulling onto the freeway on ramp I just let the little four pot sing all the way to red line. Generally, I gear down as needed, etc. I just don't think its that big a deal.. at least not in my naturually aspirated car. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

I've also never heard of the need to bed in a clutch.. sounds more like an excuse for Toyota's poor form to be honest.

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I've also never heard of the need to bed in a clutch.. sounds more like an excuse for Toyota's poor form to be honest.
Properly breaking in clutches has always been a thing and is arguably more important than properly breaking in the engine.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Properly breaking in clutches has always been a thing and is arguably more important than properly breaking in the engine.
I'm no expert, but just like the need to break in modern engines, I think it's one of those endless circular debates. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm no expert, but just like the need to break in modern engines, I think it's one of those endless circular debates. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
There's no debate about breaking in clutches. They will absolutely work less effectively if you don't do it properly so that all of the material is broken in evenly.

Edit: You can literally see it in this video:

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL

Quinn

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cu A91MT, 02 Spec E46, 04 Sequoia
I did complete a ~1300 mile engine and clutch break in and so far nothing wrong with my car minus I already have a moderate oil leak from somewhere under the oil filter area. Already not pleased with the Toyota service experience, which is fun! I have the NASA/Toyota track day coming up at my home track soon so we'll see what happens.

Xeros12

First Name
Abdiel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z, sti, 370z, gr supra
Following for whenever thereā€™s a aftermarket fix and getting my experience with the clutch out there in case anyone has the same issue Iā€™ve had my mt supra about 4 months now. I did a proper break in of the clutch and the engine. The car is sitting at 4500 miles and I took it to a hpde event, the clutch started slipping after the 4th heat. Hopefully thereā€™s a aftermarket replacement soon because I donā€™t think the stock clutch will last many track days. By the 6th heat anywhere near my car all you could smell was clutch.

6803E5D9-8E7A-47AC-BB38-A0E8AEC787BF.jpeg

STi_to_GRzupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra MT Premium, 2021 4Runner TRD Pro
Following for whenever thereā€™s a aftermarket fix and getting my experience with the clutch out there in case anyone has the same issue Iā€™ve had my mt supra about 4 months now. I did a proper break in of the clutch and the engine. The car is sitting at 4500 miles and I took it to a hpde event, the clutch started slipping after the 4th heat. Hopefully thereā€™s a aftermarket replacement soon because I donā€™t think the stock clutch will last many track days. By the 6th heat anywhere near my car all you could smell was clutch.

6803E5D9-8E7A-47AC-BB38-A0E8AEC787BF.jpeg
Stock?
Sponsored