Coding AUX audio with Bimmercode

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
After installing a different branded (and way cheaper) android auto MMi, I also coded in the AUX.
It works perfectly. Thank you for writing this down @Branflakes123 !
Ohhhh....... not that it really matters since I already have the Bimmertech one, but what MMI box did you buy?

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
Ohhhh....... not that it really matters since I already have the Bimmertech one, but what MMI box did you buy?
When connected via Android Auto it shows the brand is LuChi, but rebranded by a local seller.
Price was 400 euro (465usd).
If you look on AliExpress the same MMi's can be bought for as low as 260 euro :oops:
Should've went that route ?

Basically I paid 140 euro for rebranding and better support/warranty.

(The only small physical difference I found is the vents used on the MMi box itself.)

Regarding the "main" software, it is less slick looking but that is just a Theme that gets set up by the seller I suppose and Android Auto / CarPlay itself just look the same on every system.

Tomm63

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus RX350, KIA Sportage, Chevy Avalance, Supra
When connected via Android Auto it shows the brand is LuChi, but rebranded by a local seller.
If you look on AliExpress the same MMi's can be bought for as low as 260 euro :oops:

(The only small physical difference I found is the vents used on the MMi box itself.)

Regarding the "main" software, it is less slick looking but that is just a Theme that gets set up by the seller I suppose and Android Auto / CarPlay itself just look the same on every system.

Nice find. Kind of a bummer with the supply chain being hosed up they give an estimated delivery date of Mid November to get it to the USA. Probably longer. Let's go Brandon.

Arrived 11/26/2021 took a full month to get here, now for the install.

Last edited:

Tomm63

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Did your unit come with a manual? I received mine with no documentation of any sort. I have no idea how the dip switches are supposed to be set.

FlynnZero

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal
Good luck on your recalls. When they did my recall, they fried my Navi and now need a new head unit. Dealer told me they have done 4 Supras and (2) had the Navi fried. WTF Toyota. Looking around on here a month ago, others have had the same issue.

Tomm63

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
After installing a no-name version of the Apple Carplay/AndoidAuto upgrade unit and running it for a month, here is how it went.

Purchased on Ali-Express. It arrived with no documentation whatsoever but the seller got back to me with a link to the manual here.

The install went relatively easy. Follow the Bimmertech video in this thread and buy a basic trim tool kit here on Amazon, you will need a Torx driver too, everything comes apart without much effort. Give yourself a 4-hour window for the entire job.

Once installed plan on spending some time with the interface to get it set right. We are an Android family and it runs AndroidAuto with my crusty Note8 and my Wifes Pixel3 pretty flawlessly. The wired version is most consistent vs. Bluetooth. Since you are usually going to have the phone mounted and charging it really is a moot point. You can run 2 apps on the head unit display. Usually Waze/Google maps and Spotify. That frees my phone for Hiway Radar and Laser Jamming app. Have not tested the CrApple Carplay.

This unit does NOT support touch screen. Menu navigation is with your counsel controls and works satisfactorily in AndroidAuto. The base menu offers an equalizer feature that works great and a Youtube application, while Youtube does work it is impossible to navigate to the search feature so you are stuck with whatever choices Youtube offers in the Vid menu. Seems like that needs to be fixed in a firmware upgrade. You also have an option to screen mirror your phone when you absolutely need to watch videos while screaming down the highway.

Speaking of the firmware. I contacted the seller about updates and they claim they will notify me when updates arrive. Additionally, there is a support thread on bimmerpost regarding all the different vendors of this device and their firmware here. I have yet to figure out the true vendor of this particular device. Certainly do not want to flash the wrong firmware and brick the unit.

For me, this was a worthwhile endeavor. My Supra is a base model with no factory GPS or CarPlay, AA isn't even an option for Supra. Gaining both AA and CarPlay under $300 and my time was worth it. Having the head unit main display running navigation is huge.

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cool to hear someone went the same route I took :)

Thanks for providing a link to the firmware!

This unit does NOT support touch screen.
Touch capability on these devices seem to be a no-go for all. Even the expensive Bimmertech one doesn't have it (afaik).

Enjoy the head unit! It took me quite a bit to install it correctly. Almost accidentally botched one of the speaker wires... Only had sound coming from the right when I first tested it ?

erick600

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0
Has anyone been able to successfully code the AUX Audio on a '22? I went the bimmercode route but it doesn't allow me to go through the head unit settings. Gives me a message that I should try updating but my app is fully up to date.

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Has anyone been able to successfully code the AUX Audio on a '22? I went the bimmercode route but it doesn't allow me to go through the head unit settings. Gives me a message that I should try updating but my app is fully up to date.
Have you tried going through the BMW Z4 menu? That menu seems to give more options. Please be careful though, you don't want to brick it.

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
Can changes be coded with Bimmercode while the ECU is disconnected?

erick600

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0
Have you tried going through the BMW Z4 menu? That menu seems to give more options. Please be careful though, you don't want to brick it.
Yeah I tried going through the Z4 menu, no luck there either. I'm thinking the head unit used in the '22 is a different unit than previous years because when installing the bimmertech MMI, I followed the video instructions and noticed the cables and ports on the back are pretty different. Still works just fine besides no audio.

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Can changes be coded with Bimmercode while the ECU is disconnected?
I'm not sure but most likely not. While ECU's in modern vehicles are separate units, I highly suspect they are dependent on each other when coding (atleast through Bimmercode).

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah I tried going through the Z4 menu, no luck there either. I'm thinking the head unit used in the '22 is a different unit than previous years because when installing the bimmertech MMI, I followed the video instructions and noticed the cables and ports on the back are pretty different. Still works just fine besides no audio.
Maybe try contacting the guys at Bimmercode, they might help you out with an update.

Did you by any chance take a picture of the back of the head unit? This might come in handy for some of us later :) (Edit out serial numbers if you feel uneasy about posting it publicly)
Sponsored