Costco Gas

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
Here in CA, it's $7 for Super unleaded. Let's say you use 1/3 gallon while you idle 20 minutes with AC going. So it'll cost you around $2 plus your time.

I would say you might save $.30 a gallon at Costco. 10 gallon saves you $3.00. So where is the savings?
Sponsored

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I been there a couple times now around 9pm, and there are no lines 👍
Well if there are no lines, it's a no brainer. However when you make a special trip to Costco to get gas, it'll cost you time and money getting there. Even if it's only 5 miles away, round trip will cost you half a tank of gas. In CA that's $3

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
Here in CA, it's $7 for Super unleaded. Let's say you use 1/3 gallon while you idle 20 minutes with AC going. So it'll cost you around $2 plus your time.

I would say you might save $.30 a gallon at Costco. 10 gallon saves you $3.00. So where is the savings?
Last time I checked, $3.00 is greater than $2.00. So your savings, even using your manipulated numbers, is still there.

Now let's say I live in NJ where gas is still around $5.70/gallon for premium at most stations and is $5.23/gallon for premium at Costco. So right off the bat I'm paying 47 cents less per gallon on a 12-gallon fill-up. That's a savings of $5.64 on gas. I idle the engine for 10 minutes because that's how long ot takes to get to the pumps. Assume that I burned 1/3 of a quart of gas waiting in line. So where's my savings? 😆 It's in my wallet. Every. Single. Time.

And BTW, in my area Costco sells 93 octane, never 91. Finding 93 octane at other stations is an even bigger price differential than my numbers as i presented them. And since my car is tuned for 93, it's a no-brainer for me to get my Top Tier, 93 octane fuel from Costco even if I have to wait in line.

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Last time I checked, $3.00 is greater than $2.00. So your savings, even using your manipulated numbers, is still there.

Now let's say I live in NJ where gas is still around $5.70/gallon for premium at most stations and is $5.23/gallon for premium at Costco. So right off the bat I'm paying 47 cents less per gallon on a 12-gallon fill-up. That's a savings of $5.64 on gas. I idle the engine for 10 minutes because that's how long ot takes to get to the pumps. Assume that I burned 1/3 of a quart of gas waiting in line. So where's my savings? 😆 It's in my wallet. Every. Single. Time.

And BTW, in my area Costco sells 93 octane, never 91. Finding 93 octane at other stations is an even bigger price differential than my numbers as i presented them. And since my car is tuned for 93, it's a no-brainer for me to get my Top Tier, 93 octane fuel from Costco even if I have to wait in line.
Well I did put in "time" factor as well. I do realize $3 is greater than $2 But when we drive $50,000 cars, I don't know if $1 should be calculated as a "savings".

Well getting 93 octane is a plus for sure. Here in CA, 91 is all we get, even at Costco

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
Well I did put in "time" factor as well. I do realize $3 is greater than $2 But when we drive $50,000 cars, I don't know if $1 should be calculated as a "savings".

Well getting 93 octane is a plus for sure. Here in CA, 91 is all we get, even at Costco
Agreed. I'm surprised that 93 isn't at all Costcos across the country.

And FWIW, I really don't care that much about gas prices. But I do go to Costco a lot because it's Top Tier and 93 octane. But it's not going to impact me if I pay more at the Sunoco down the road from my house. I really don't sweat gas prices at all, I was just trying to make a point that the savings can be there for people who do care.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
For me, at least right now, there's a BP 2mins away, Costco 3min. No brainer for me. I do like the convenience of tapping my CC vs insert, wait, enter zip code, wait. And again 4% cash back adds up..
But in a month I'll be moving and it'll be whatever's on the way.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
You said 'on line' a phase I've only heard from born and raised New Yorkers.
Oh...lol. Well, you got me then. I was born and raised in NY. Lived my entire life there until just a few years ago when I moved to NJ with my job.

Reactions: zrk