DarkZupra's Build

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Everywhere?

If you wear a harness, you want a hans if you enjoy having a working neck.

Also, a FIVE or SIX point harness needs a seat that has an opening in the bottom cushion for the sub straps to go through. A FOUR point harness does not.

I use a SIX point harness and the sub straps look like this:

IMG_0099.jpeg

IMG_0100.jpeg
@NitroYellowMKV @DarkZupra @zrk

Yeah, I understand that you need to have the correct seat (and anchor points) to do a harness. What I've never heard is that you have to wear a helmet and a hans device with a harness or you will die. Wearing a helmet with a roll cage/bar in the car including having the cage/bar properly padded, yes. I won't ride in a car with a cage/bar without a helmet. You're definitely at more risk of a neck injury if you don't wear a hans device with a harness going 150mph in a car and crashing it, but you're not going to break your neck without a hans device in most crashes. The majority of sanctioned amateur motorsport events and track clubs (and their insurance) wouldn't allow participation without a hans device if the risk was that high. It's really a personal risk decision.

I had a bit of an off at Road Atlanta wearing a 5-point harness, sitting in a proper racing bucket, wearing a helmet, with the car ending up on its side and my neck works just fine. I'm just one of the thousands of people who have been in this situation and didn't end up in a wheel chair.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
@NitroYellowMKV @DarkZupra @zrk

Yeah, I understand that you need to have the correct seat (and anchor points) to do a harness. What I've never heard is that you have to wear a helmet and a hans device with a harness or you will die. Wearing a helmet with a roll cage/bar in the car including having the cage/bar properly padded, yes. I won't ride in a car with a cage/bar without a helmet. You're definitely at more risk of a neck injury if you don't wear a hans device with a harness going 150mph in a car and crashing it, but you're not going to break your neck without a hans device in most crashes. The majority of sanctioned amateur motorsport events and track clubs (and their insurance) wouldn't allow participation without a hans device if the risk was that high. It's really a personal risk decision.

I had a bit of an off at Road Atlanta wearing a 5-point harness, sitting in a proper racing bucket, wearing a helmet, with the car ending up on its side and my neck works just fine. I'm just one of the thousands of people who have been in this situation and didn't end up in a wheel chair.
Uh... that's like saying I ran down my stairs hundreds of times and haven't got hurt so why wear a helmet while doing it, then the very next day I run down the stairs and trip and bash my head in on the railing because my luck ran out.

My question to you, if you already have a harness and a racing seat, WHY NOT run a Hans as well?

If it's a bulk issue, I run a Necksgen Rev2 and I can barely tell I have it on.

Reactions: zrk
OP
OP
DarkZupra

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tesla M3P
Uh... that's like saying I ran down my stairs hundreds of times and haven't got hurt so why wear a helmet while doing it, then the very next day I run down the stairs and trip and bash my head in on the railing because my luck ran out.

My question to you, if you already have a harness and a racing seat, WHY NOT run a Hans as well?

Agreed.

I have a HANS for my standard seatbelt. Not worth the risk to run without one.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium

I mean, your scenario is pretty much what we do every day with everything. We rarely ever take all available safety precautions... about anything. For comfort, perceived risk (even if it's wrong), vanity, etc. It's a personal, risk-based decision. I don't always wear a hans device because a properly-fitted hans device fucking sucks. On a club day with a handful of people out on the track testing? Nah. If I'm out there going 10/10ths? Most of the time. If I'm out there going 10/10ths with a bunch of other people going 10/10ths? For sure.

I don't wear a fire-proof racing suit when backing my car out of the garage, either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DarkZupra

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Someone asked me why Im not running 4/5/6 point harnesses. This is the reason why. If you want to run them, thats fine, go ahead. But lets take this convo elsewhere please.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I don't always wear a hans device because a properly-fitted hans device fucking sucks.
This is the last thing I will say/repeat because I am respecting DarkZupras request. Try out a NecksGen Rev2. I seriously forget I have it on most of the time and almost rip my ears off taking my helmet off forgetting to untether it. lol

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
This is the last thing I will say/repeat because I am respecting DarkZupras request. Try out a NecksGen Rev2. I seriously forget I have it on most of the time and almost rip my ears off taking my helmet off forgetting to untether it. lol
Thanks for this! I will order one for next season and give it a go.

Sorry to take a shit in your build thread, @DarkZupra.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Thanks for this! I will order one for next season and give it a go.

Sorry to take a shit in your build thread, @DarkZupra.
His seats are sooooo sick!!!!! I want them so badly but know I'll eventually put a 5 point in, and yes a Hans device (tons to choose from), when I do. The really cool thing, thanks to @DarkZupra's build, my wife is really opening up to his garage setup 😍. I want the flooring and all the nice drawer stuff and all the cleaning supplies and his seats!!!!! Damn.... so many dilemmas

OP
OP
DarkZupra

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
His seats are sooooo sick!!!!! I want them so badly but know I'll eventually put a 5 point in, and yes a Hans device (tons to choose from), when I do. The really cool thing, thanks to @DarkZupra's build, my wife is really opening up to his garage setup 😍. I want the flooring and all the nice drawer stuff and all the cleaning supplies and his seats!!!!! Damn.... so many dilemmas
Thank you very much!

FYI - AMX can do 5 point hole in these seats. I just chose not to do them

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Sweet! Doing the epoxy floor in ours and adding a big ol' cabinet was one of the best things I've done to the garage. Painting it a pleasant color was close behind. Please post pics when you're done!

OP
OP
DarkZupra

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
OP updated.

A few new things:

@NitroYellowMKV steering wheel and airbag cover, and JQ Werks Paddles:

IMG_6847.jpeg

Verus Engineering Brake Master Cylinder Brace:

IMG_6852.jpeg

777 Performance RS Style door pulls:

IMG_6810.jpeg

A few other small things like Carbon Emblems but i dont have pics yet.

OP
OP
DarkZupra

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
No major updates for now. Going to remove the 777 pull straps as they keep getting stuck. Ordered another steering wheel because im never happy lol. Also picked up EVS fenders, instal will be next month. Removed partial PPF on hood. Will redo the full hood if I keep it.

IMG_7061.jpeg

IMG_7002.jpeg

IMG_7072.jpeg
Sponsored