Did the Sport Z just kill off the Supra 2.0?

mboret

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0
We gave up 4-5 pages of posts ago.
We just need someone to put it in neutral. Raise up the rear of the car. Spin one rear tire. If the other side spins in the same direction, its an LSD. If it spins in the opposite direction, its an open diff.

To resolve this question once and for all! :)
Sponsored

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Less would be nice, but with inflation and the current market, I don't think $40k is outrageous for a sport Z. The 86 and BRZ are almost $30k cars.
Agreed.. industry average price for a new car is like $46k in the USA.

But the issue for most young folks (auto text insist I type fools.. lol) is they have small kids and owning a sports car usually means owning one or more additional cars for family duty.

Then add insurance, garage space and other misc items (tools, mods) and it becomes a pretty significant project for them when they realize reality.

C-Pike

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
We just need someone to put it in neutral. Raise up the rear of the car. Spin one rear tire. If the other side spins in the same direction, its an LSD. If it spins in the opposite direction, its an open diff.

To resolve this question once and for all! :)

When the 2.0 was launched all those years ago, I asked the Toyota USA team and they confirmed that it was an open diff.

I had a press car for a week and did a LOT of driving, including drifting. Unless the clutches were smoked on that thing, it was an open diff. Drove completely open, absolutely 0 lockup on accel/decel in both dry and wet.

So I jacked the car up and checked in Neutral, and sure enough the tire spin test confirmed it was open with the other side spinning opposite. The M-Performance Diff that should have been available is a clutch type (not a Torsen) so it should have spun in the same direction.

So unless they've added an LSD since then, its certainly open.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
The press car tested was from around 3 years ago, is what it sounds like. Things could have changed.
yeah but none of the press releases mentions anything about LSD for the 2.0. you would think if Toyota added LSD to the base model it would be the front-page cover and not go under the radar.

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
This whole thread is starting to make my head hurt. :doh:

Quick summary for those that want to skip the 7 pages...

Guff - U.S. 2.0 = open diff

2.0 owners - U.S. 2.0 = open diff

Clueless 3.0 owners - U.S. 2.0 has a mechanical LSD cuz we read it on the web so it must be true...

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 1993 Mazda RX7
MSRP at the time is more like $8k differences.

Splitting hair aside, base Z is also cheaper and will probably outperform the 2.0.
https://www.caranddriver.com/review...d-mustang-shelby-gt350-vs-porsche-718-cayman/

Just more Z price manipulation. Using the price of the base model but the performance of the top trim for your arguments.

For that 8k more you only get the 2.0L cayman with manual. Which does have a better interior and handling but is seriously down on power and pdk and sport chrono knock off some serious time. Even with the 2.5, options can easily get out of hand with Porsche. That's not even going into the Porsche tax on modifying your car.

As for 2.0 vs Sport Z. Based on how much body roll that thing has in the Performance trim. With the sport going down to 245s, no splitter, smaller brakes and open lsd (which the 2.0 has but it has less power to deal with) I can't see it going around a track all that well. If you're talking quarter mile. Then I think the auto Z will win but the 2.0 will probably be about the same time as the manual sport.
Sponsored