Did the Sport Z just kill off the Supra 2.0?

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
afaict SZ and SZR have the same tuning potential. If your gonna wind up at 310-320 hp anyways you may as well start lower for taxes?
But don't you run into the cooling issues of NA vs turboed, as well as tuning (I assume locked ECU again), which makes up that cost difference anyway?
Sponsored

tofulo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Toyota Supra 2.0
Mine definitely is an open diff. The slush and ice at the end of my driveway last winter answered that question real quick.

Reviews and articles are not always based in reality, actually more likely they are from a different region.
All the reviews I saw were definitely in the US. Not sure what you mean by not always based in reality though. It wouldn't make sense for either all these reviewers to either lie about an LSD or be lied to by toyota about an LSD. I am not saying it isn't open either, I am just confused how so much conflicting information could be out there.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Can't someone just look up the part number?
Good idea.

1652847608379.png

These are the two part numbers for diffs for Supras. WAA05 is the eLSD in the 3.0 Variant. As you can see, it says "WITH(LSD)". The other is WAA07, and does not mention LSD.

Attachments

Elektro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
17 i3 94ah, 22 Supra 2.0
But don't you run into the cooling issues of NA vs turboed, as well as tuning (I assume locked ECU again), which makes up that cost difference anyway?
they are the same engine, same turbo, same radiator, same everything. Only difference is the software. The japanese SZ is the one that was "made to be tuned" and the SZ-R (usa 2.0 motor) is factory tuned.

C-Pike

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
It sounds like some of you guys are still in denials like with the Z boys and their "Zupra killer", and even after we have a part number and statements from 2.0 owners saying that the cars do have an open diff. :rofl:

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
they are the same engine, same turbo, same radiator, same everything. Only difference is the software. The japanese SZ is the one that was "made to be tuned" and the SZ-R (usa 2.0 motor) is factory tuned.
I did not know that trim was turboed but just different software. TIL.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
maybe its a torsen diff?
BMW does not have a Torsen diff available. And trust me, its not a Torsen, the car would drive totally differently.

All you 2.0 owners, go slide your cars on a wet day, you'll realize its an open diff within the first 30 seconds.

The weight balance of the 2.0 is fantastic in my opinion, I actually really enjoyed the car when I had it, but the lack of an available diff was the biggest downfall. You could get an M-Performance Diff from a Z4 and swap it in and that would make a huge improvement, but going back to the topic of the thread, you could do that with the Z and have a really solid stripper model with an LSD and a 6-speed for low 40s.

trev_rs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium, '17 Abarth 124 Spider
It sounds like some of you guys are still in denials like with the Z boys and their "Zupra killer", and even after we have a part number and statements from 2.0 owners saying that the cars do have an open diff. :rofl:
After spending the last couple of years listening to the hype, and watching it fail in almost every head to head competition on youtube so far, it's almost embarrassing that the only thing left to argue about is that "it's cheaper". Even though it really isn't, at least in Canada.

1652888487930.png

Even today, an article is out saying it "undercuts" the 3.0L Supra by 20k in Canada. Except they leave out the fact that if you match the features that the 3.0L comes standard with, you'd have to buy the Proto Spec 9AT to be roughly equal.

In the end they come out almost identical in price.

They had a 3 year advantage to make a better car, in the end it's another bean counter war.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Even today, an article is out saying it "undercuts" the 3.0L Supra by 20k in Canada. Except they leave out the fact that if you match the features that the 3.0L comes standard with, you'd have to buy the Proto Spec 9AT to be roughly equal.
Don't forget that you also have to add on a couple grand for exterior paint, floor mats, etc. for the Z, since that base price comes with nothing.

SupraBC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 2.0
If only people were more conscious about their own driving capabilities there would be more 2.0's on the road and less 3.0's in the Salvage registry thread. I wonder how many of them on that 46 pages long thread pissed on the 2.0 🤣
After just reading Jason Cammisa's verdict on the Z as a "HANDFUL", I can't wait to see the Salvage thread grow on the sister forum.

It would be bad for Toyota if they were producing more 2.0's than they can actually sell but I really doubt it is the case as the 85/15 number I saw earlier sounds realistic
Sponsored