Did they make the new builds quieter? Just got mine. No crackles.

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
Cruise at 60mph

Switch to Sport and you should notice the car drone a bit (Open valve)

I have an Akrapovic so sound is more obvious and can clearly hear the valve open/close
Thanks but that probably won't work here the stone chip on our roads is so coarse, we have few asphalt & no concrete roads :(

I get the giggles when I see Guys complaining about the road noise on asphalt, they would never cope here :)
Sponsored

Reppunkamui

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020, Toyota Supra 1994, BMW 135i M-Sport,
All right... every Australian on the board seems to be wondering about this so I decided to try an inconclusive test in regards to the exhaust flap. I spent the my day driving (to and from work, so don't dob me in :p ) on manual mode switching between "normal" and "sport" with the windows down and no music on relatively quiet roads....

Things to note, I have a louder exhaust than stock so it is probably more noticeable, I used manual so the snap/pop/crackle doesn't affect the sound, I have not disabled fake exhaust noise through speakers and wind buffeting prevents me from testing higher gears clearly.

I find that when in motion, there is a definite exhaust tone change switching from "normal" to "sport". Not much louder, but deeper and more of a drone. If you want to test this yourself, accelerate in 5th gear and switch back and forth to hear the 2 sounds side by side.

Anyway, would be great if someone actually videoed the flap for something conclusive. But I am quite glad to know I can switch my exhaust quieter.. it is just not much quieter and not helpful for EPA checks (where your car is not moving)...

tldr: My exhaust tone changes between modes, I believe that means the exhaust flap is not always open.

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
All right... every Australian on the board seems to be wondering about this so I decided to try an inconclusive test in regards to the exhaust flap. I spent the my day driving (to and from work, so don't dob me in :p ) on manual mode switching between "normal" and "sport" with the windows down and no music on relatively quiet roads....

Things to note, I have a louder exhaust than stock so it is probably more noticeable, I used manual so the snap/pop/crackle doesn't affect the sound, I have not disabled fake exhaust noise through speakers and wind buffeting prevents me from testing higher gears clearly.

I find that when in motion, there is a definite exhaust tone change switching from "normal" to "sport". Not much louder, but deeper and more of a drone. If you want to test this yourself, accelerate in 5th gear and switch back and forth to hear the 2 sounds side by side.

Anyway, would be great if someone actually videoed the flap for something conclusive. But I am quite glad to know I can switch my exhaust quieter.. it is just not much quieter and not helpful for EPA checks (where your car is not moving)...

tldr: My exhaust tone changes between modes, I believe that means the exhaust flap is not always open.

Same here on cold starts (ME spec)

Valve on comfort closes driving at around 20km/h and remains so

During stationery, it opens up again

Sport is always open and closes at highway speeds (7th and 8th gear)

I grabbed one of my bore scopes & "gettoed it up" this afternoon with cable ties & chucked my laptop on the passenger seat

IMG_5363_zpst6qliums.jpg

a90moe's post is correct, on my car (non US) in comfort mode it opens once the cold start sequence is finished then shuts at 20 KPH

Sport mode opens the valve, I couldn't get fast enough to see if it shuts in 7th & 8th in sport, if caught I would be instantly walking :(

I can't hear a difference in exhaust note as our factory exhaust is much more quiet than the US one even with a catted Wagner down pipe & our roads have coarse chip so there is plenty of road noise

Looks promising for a Valved Cat Back :)