Does 4 cyl Supra take away or add to the brand?

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
The 2.0 actually drives really nicely. It just needs a 4.10 LSD instead of the long ratio open diff, and it would be perfect. People need to realize that Toyota needs to sell as many of these cars as possible if we want to see more fun stuff from Toyota in the future. Toyota has no problems going back to only selling Camrys and Corollas and raking in money hand over fist without our whiney asses, so gatekeeping people from enjoying a variant is an asinine thing.

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I would never buy it but it's no skin off my back if they want to make it and sell it. More exciting than making another SUV.

MCSeverino

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited
I don't see how it's a bad thing. It's not for me, but someone owning the 2.0 does not change my enjoyment of the 3.0. I guess I just don't care much about what other people have or drive. Even with the 2.0 going on sale, these are still pretty rare. What's total sales for 20 and 21? 6000? That significantly less than the number of new Ferraris sold every year. Besides, I've still never seen another one on the road here in Vegas (although, I know they're out there).

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
The 2.0 actually drives really nicely. It just needs a 4.10 LSD instead of the long ratio open diff, and it would be perfect. People need to realize that Toyota needs to sell as many of these cars as possible if we want to see more fun stuff from Toyota in the future. Toyota has no problems going back to only selling Camrys and Corollas and raking in money hand over fist without our whiney asses, so gatekeeping people from enjoying a variant is an asinine thing.
I do agree gatekeeping 2.0 Supras is rather ridiculous, but Toyota should not be praised for half-assing this model because it has further implications than just this car. This is still a flagship car regardless of trim and it should have had more attention during development.

The sad part is that because of the 2.0 Supra, we won't see a ~250hp GR86 to avoid competition with each other. And because of the 86/GR86, we will not see a 6MT 2.0 Supra to avoid competition with each other.

Like you said, Toyota needs to sell as many cars as possible and that doesn't happen by half-assing and purposely neutering vehicles.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
I have yet to form an opinion on this topic. Curious to see what others may think? Will a 4 cyl Supra dilute the brand and make the car "less special." Will the lower price point "saturate" the roads with a car you currently don't see often on the streets (therefore decreasing it's uniqueness/coolness factor)? Or does more Supras on the road equal more awesomeness?
In a nutshell with your loaded question in a very bias forum, I'm going to say yes. People can argue the Castrol TOM Supra 4cyl all they want but that engine was the 3S family engine from the Celica (and MR-2) which was already having great success in WRC. Supra deviating to a 4 cyl turbo seems a result of more strict EU emissions. The Supra has always been a straight six and "above all" Having a 4 cyl, lower priced Supra taps into a different buyer bracket. A good thing for consumers, not so much for exclusiveness. I see heavily discounted 2.0L's and even lower resale value on those thing in the years to come.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
I think Toyota could have just avoided all the drama by just calling it a Celica.
Kinda agree, but the issue with going that route is can you convince people to folk over $43-$47k for a "Celica"? The last time the Celica was offered here it was a $22k car or $29k with inflation. Either way that's a huge price jump.

Cruzifer

First Name
Valente
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra (Renaissance Red 2.0)
I don't mind the 2.0 but I would never get it. I thought about trying to save a couple bucks on monthly payments but I just felt like I would be cheating myself lol. Plus at that price point, I don't think it's worth that. As someone mentioned already, another issue is now the new 86 probably won't get a power boost to avoid competition with each other.

But again, I don't have a problem with it in general and if someone goes for that then it's all love. I just think it's in a weird position. You're better off buying a "like new" 2020 model (what I did).

CSUfiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
If this was about 15-20 years ago, I wouldā€™ve agreed that a 4cyl possibly tarnishes the name. But nowadays with all of these Turbo 4ā€™s around, I donā€™t think it does. Now if it was an anemic N/A 4 (I.e. like something Lexus would use to make an IS250) then we would singing a different tune as well.

something else to think about that puts things in perspective: even if the Supra 3.0 didnā€™t exist, the Supra 2.0 would still be the fastest car in the Toyota lineup from 0-60, and one of the fastest in the Toyota/Lexus portfolio!

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
If this was about 15-20 years ago, I wouldā€™ve agreed that a 4cyl possibly tarnishes the name. But nowadays with all of these Turbo 4ā€™s around, I donā€™t think it does. Now if it was an anemic N/A 4, then we would singing a different tune as well.
That's exactly it though. Due the strict regulations by the EU, car manufactures had to go turbo 4 and smaller. It's was a band-aid solution only to realize that it didn't work.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...er-engines-in-new-emissions-era-idUSKBN12E11K

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...lead-to-bigger-engines-says-porsche-911-chief

Internal-combustion engines have shrunk dramatically over the past decade as a result of ever-stricter emissions regulations, but this trend will not only cease but go into reverse in the coming years according to a top Porsche engineer.

In an interview with Wheels published Monday, Frank-Steffen Walliser, Porsche's chief engineer for the 911, said new EU7 emissions regulations to be introduced in Europe in 2026 will result in bigger engines coming back. They will still be mostly turbocharged though, and exhaust after-treatment systems will play a much more important role.

"I expect 20-percent more displacement on average for these EU7-capable engines,ā€ he said. ā€œA lot of manufacturers will jump from four to six, from six to eight (cylinders)."
Sponsored