On 2021+ Supras does a triggered CEL cripple the car?

OP
OP

Diversion

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Phantom GR Supra
Any catless out there that have a larger 3.5" exit since AWE offers both 3" and I believe 3.5" connections to the downpipe?

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
The extra weight from the illuminated LED takes about a tenth off the 1/4 mile time.

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Gonna answer like this - uhhhh no. Mine has had one for 3 years now. No issues at all.

If I needed to smog...it could be, but I don't here, haha. I think that's the biggest downside. Smog states.

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Any downpipe that doesn't cause a CEL has a cat, i'd imagine.. Or are there ways to run a o2 simulator?
Allegedly there is one or two out there, but I'm still skeptical and it's probably not worth the extra for a cylindrical piece of thin metal

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
To be fair it depends on the severity of the warning, it can and does go Into limp mode (reduced power mode) and you can get messages that say driving cannot be continued call for roadside assistance (every damn time I flash the car I get that one) so if it’s serious enough the car will try to stop you from hurting it more.

A downpipe only, nah your fine it will leave soft codes and CEL codes and the dealer can see those so I wouldn’t count on keeping the powertrain side of the warranty but then again not why we bought these cars….
This is the only right answer in the thread. It really depends on what the CEL is for, and with a catless downpipe/a constant CEL, it's hard to know if you've got a real issue.

I've heard more than one tale of someone putting a catless downpipe on this car, it threw a real CEL because they assumed it was for the downpipe, and misfires blew up the car.

Danimal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0
This is the only right answer in the thread. It really depends on what the CEL is for, and with a catless downpipe/a constant CEL, it's hard to know if you've got a real issue.

I've heard more than one tale of someone putting a catless downpipe on this car, it threw a real CEL because they assumed it was for the downpipe, and misfires blew up the car.
Truth, this is actually my main motivation to get rid of the CEL.

Reactions: zrk
OP
OP

Diversion

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Phantom GR Supra

Is there an easy way to pull the codes from the car? I have a MHD style ENET wifi ODB dongle.. assuming there must (hopefully) be an app out there that can tell you specifically which codes are being thrown.

directmk

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, 1997 Porsche Boxster, 2016 Audi S6
I believe the only confirmed downpipe to not throw a CEL is the one by Active Autowerkes. It does have a CAT but you likely won't even notice the 3 HP difference with the CAT unless you're going for a really high horsepower build or want to smell like unburnt fuel or want your car to wake up everybody in a 3 mile radius by adding a non-resonated cat back.
I would not go that far...I have an AA, and it's tossing CEL's. On my second one now under warranty. About to ask for my money back at this point...I can't keep ripping it off and replacing it.

6SPDA91

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silverado, S1000R, A91-MT
I would not go that far...I have an AA, and it's tossing CEL's. On my second one now under warranty. About to ask for my money back at this point...I can't keep ripping it off and replacing it.
That's weird. I know there's a few other people, but they were having issues due due to a seal issue I think.

Hopefully this one fixes it for you.
Sponsored