Drivetrain Error - Stuck in 4th gear

Diablo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Launch Edition / 2018 4Runner TRD
Good morning ladies and gents! Current Stage 2 power mods are just a VRSF catless downpipe and Ecutek dyno tune on 93 pump. Car feels amazing! Should've come this way from the factory.

Any way, to the point of the story. My buddy has all of the parts to go Stage 2 as well but hasn't pulled the trigger as of yet. We left a cars and coffee event and headed to a deserted part of the highway, he was in my car and I was in his because he wanted to feel the difference. He was blown away by the smoothness of the power delivery and the power itself. We switched back into our own cars as he wanted to hear my car's exhaust from behind. I was in 4th gear and initiated the rolling anti lag feature of the Ecutek (awesome!) as I'd done before. The car hit redline in 4th gear and instead of shifting, popped a Drivetrain Error - Continued Driving Possible code and stayed stuck in 4th. I could manually upshift on the dash display, but the transmission wouldn't change gears. Switched to Normal mode: Same. Pulled off the highway and let it idle down for a few minutes, put it into P just fine, shut it off for a minute, turned it back on and voila. started and went into gear like nothing had ever happened.

I'm taking it into my tuner today to see if he can pull any of the historic error codes to see if we can figure it out or if it was just a fluke. Will post results later today.

Has anyone experienced this before? I searched this and BMW forums to no avail.
Sponsored

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
Could be yr making too much torque with your current mods. Sometimes this sends that error.. May need yr tune adjusted?

OP
OP
Diablo

Diablo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tuner was out today, have an appointment for 3:00pm tomorrow. It dynoā€™d at 439 hp/500 tq. Didnā€™t think that was enough to trigger this, thought issues started around 600+ tq? Anyway, will report findings tomorrow to try and help anyone else who may experience this.

OP
OP
Diablo

Diablo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Couldnā€™t meet up with tuner. Heā€™s on vacation until week after next. Will post results when we eventually get together and iron it out.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
Couldnā€™t meet up with tuner. Heā€™s on vacation until week after next. Will post results when we eventually get together and iron it out.
if you have the ecutek app. did you plug in and find any codes?

OP
OP
Diablo

Diablo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
if you have the ecutek app. did you plug in and find any codes?
You know, I didnā€™t even think of that. I can check it out when I get home from work, but as of now no errors or codes and driving just fine.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
You know, I didnā€™t even think of that. I can check it out when I get home from work, but as of now no errors or codes and driving just fine.
Id pull a log also for your tuner to see if you can recreate and log it. Was TRAC/VSC off during the pull? Did you get a throttle closure as well? I hardly ever use rolling anti-lag and i prefer brake boosting, but I have triggered a limp mode using the anti-lag before. I had to cycle the key on/off to get it to clear.

Kamry

First Name
Kamry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Good morning ladies and gents! Current Stage 2 power mods are just a VRSF catless downpipe and Ecutek dyno tune on 93 pump. Car feels amazing! Should've come this way from the factory.

Any way, to the point of the story. My buddy has all of the parts to go Stage 2 as well but hasn't pulled the trigger as of yet. We left a cars and coffee event and headed to a deserted part of the highway, he was in my car and I was in his because he wanted to feel the difference. He was blown away by the smoothness of the power delivery and the power itself. We switched back into our own cars as he wanted to hear my car's exhaust from behind. I was in 4th gear and initiated the rolling anti lag feature of the Ecutek (awesome!) as I'd done before. The car hit redline in 4th gear and instead of shifting, popped a Drivetrain Error - Continued Driving Possible code and stayed stuck in 4th. I could manually upshift on the dash display, but the transmission wouldn't change gears. Switched to Normal mode: Same. Pulled off the highway and let it idle down for a few minutes, put it into P just fine, shut it off for a minute, turned it back on and voila. started and went into gear like nothing had ever happened.

I'm taking it into my tuner today to see if he can pull any of the historic error codes to see if we can figure it out or if it was just a fluke. Will post results later today.

Has anyone experienced this before? I searched this and BMW forums to no avail.
I've been stuck in 2nd gear about 3 times. car goes into limp and gets angry until you restart it and it's fine. I haven't had this issue since I changed my tire settings to "other tires" and pressed the traction button once before doing pulls.

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Launch Edition #1455
This exact scenario happened to me quite a few times during my tuning process on BM3 as well, but during normal 4th gear pulls. Tuner eventually worked it out and it hasn't happened since.

stevenlammy

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra, GT4 RC-F
Don't mean to bump an old thread but this happened to me on track a few weeks back. Haven't driven the car since but we think it might be because of failing clutch packs. When I tried to put down power out of a corner, the car would force itself into limp mode and lock 4th gear. Power cycle the car and restart and it'll drive with absolutely no issues.

Tuner is sending me a new file so I'll flash it and send the car with a buddy to the track tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted on it.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
FYI. I had this issue twice on BM3 STG1 93 octane. Casually speeding up no problem. Full sending it after I'm cruising at 40mph, I got limp mode. Suspect is tune and fuel. Never got around to fixing it as it hadn't happen too often.

stevenlammy

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra, GT4 RC-F
FYI. I had this issue twice on BM3 STG1 93 octane. Casually speeding up no problem. Full sending it after I'm cruising at 40mph, I got limp mode. Suspect is tune and fuel. Never got around to fixing it as it hadn't happen too often.
Interesting. I'm only ecutek and have only had this issue appear recently. I'm running a 91/100 blend so I'll for sure update after tomorrow!

stevenlammy

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra, GT4 RC-F
I was hoping it was the tune since I got a new revision yesterday but it turns out the trans clutches are toast/dying.
Sponsored