Restraint / Drivetrain error after rebuild.

kyle9

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra - Gridlife StreetMod #29, '23 B48 Supra
What about going to BMW. I went to Toyota they were unable to do all that
That’s f’ed up but not surprising. Might work going to BMW but I know a lot of them will tell you to go to Toyota.

I’d keep trying other dealers or DM me and I can tell you the shop I went to and you can check if they can put you in touch with the guy that did it remotely.

Also know of another guy that can allegedly remote in and do the resets, although he’s on the other side of the world and a bit tough to get ahold of.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Fezzy1234

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 2.0
I think I know why the dealership couldn’t do it. They don’t have the right cable. Toyota ISTA requires certain Techstream ver and also that specific Supra diagnostic cable which is on back order until feb 2023.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Nope. Tried foxwell and several more expensive scan tools with 0 success.

The only solution we found was purchasing a license for Toyota’s ISTA software and using that. It also requires a $500 cable to connect it to the car but a generic $20 ENET can be used if you manually install the drivers for the more expensive cable to trick the system into thinking you’ve got the right cable connected.

There aren’t really instructions on how to set things up - not user friendly at all if you’re not already familiar. Even getting the software installed was tricky and the directions were very incomplete.

Anyway, once setup you can go into Toyota’s software and run all the diagnostic and resets that you want (steering angle sensor and others) without a problem.

In short, you have to use Toyota’s factory software and have somebody who really knows what they’re doing to navigate the system… it’s not straightforward at all.

In the end it worked and cleared every code.

No chassis codes, no rear diff codes, no steering or speed codes, no power steering cutoff at 15mph, HUD and radar both work again. Like new. 🤙
Where did you (they) buy it?

kyle9

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think I know why the dealership couldn’t do it. They don’t have the right cable. Toyota ISTA requires certain Techstream ver and also that specific Supra diagnostic cable which is on back order until feb 2023.
There are directions somewhere on the internet to spoof the correct cable with a $20 Amazon bmw ENET…

Our BMW brothers and sisters seem to have cracked the code if you google “rheingold ISTA installation” you can learn more. Similar process to get the Toyota version to work.

kyle9

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Where did you (they) buy it?
I bought the ENET coff Amazon for $20 and the shop bought a 2-day license off of http://techinfo.toyota.com for $80

Just filled in made up data for dealer info to register it. :)

If you google how to do the BMW ISTA install and do the two above purchases you can get full factory access to your car for $100.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I bought the ENET coff Amazon for $20 and the shop bought a 2-day license off of http://techinfo.toyota.com for $80

Just filled in made up data for dealer info to register it. :)

If you google how to do the BMW ISTA install and do the two above purchases you can get full factory access to your car for $100.
Doing god's work. Thanks for this. ❤

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
What about going to BMW. I went to Toyota they were unable to do all that
I tried that. They couldn’t or wouldn’t do it. I’m not sure which one. They were able to verify that my car alignment is in good shape and charged me a new alignment (same specs). I need a day off to actually go and talk to someone there. My wife picked up the car and my service advisor just said “they can’t reset it but Toyota should be able to.“

So I’ve got an appointment at a really fancy alignment shop (sometime I can get technical too :p) that deals with BMWs and has a Hunter alignment machine next week, after this track weekend. I’ll also take @underdonk ’s advice and keep pounding the pavement, hit up Toyota dealers until one feel bold enough and/or not afraid of all these nice add ons underneath my car. I‘m guessing it is pretty daunting with very little BMW service people to troubleshoot beyond spec issues. I’ve seen many post that oil changes are still troublesome for some of these dealers. So I get it… Not actually being sarcastic, but it is pretty frustrating coming from a Mazda and Honda that was ultra low tech to track.

Did you get this resolved @Fezzy1234? I’m going to save @kyle9’s info for my next Toyota dealer. At least I’ll come in better armed with knowledge to help resolve this issue. And follow the instructions above on how to purchase the stuff and show my own mechanic. Thanks @kyle9!!!!

Last edited:

kyle9

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If you can get a Toyota dealer to agree to just do a steering angle sensor (SAS) reset done without looking at your car, inspecting it, or touching anything, you should be good @FLtrackdays

if you got the issue after installing SPL parts, give them a call. They are aware of this now and may have a solution.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If you can get a Toyota dealer to agree to just do a steering angle sensor (SAS) reset done without looking at your car, inspecting it, or touching anything, you should be good @FLtrackdays

if you got the issue after installing SPL parts, give them a call. They are aware of this now and may have a solution.
My closest dealer didn’t want to mess with it. So I’ll keep searching for dealers willing to do the “steering angle sensor reset”. Thanks again @kyle9

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So I come home today from work to checkout my zero deductible windshield replacement… and lo and behold, the windshield tech had the techstream OEM Toyota software to reset it. 😱😱😱 Viola!!!! Problem solved 🤣🤣🤣🎁🎁🎁🕺🏼🕺🏼🕺🏼

Unbelievable it was that easy for the windshield replacement dude! I wasn’t even home. I just wanted to see what new codes I’d discover by getting it replaced.

So I learned some very important words today, Techstream Toyota software. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think that’s all I have to ask for in the future. And can now stay far far away from my awful Ft. Myers Toyota dealer. And the lackluster BMW dealer for that matter as well.

OP
OP

Fezzy1234

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 2.0
I finally got it fixed! All thru the tech stream software and what was posted before about using the proprietary cables and the tech stream Toyota ista. Plug in and then follow the prompt. Took me a week to figure the software out. It ain't easy but I have a lot of patience with computers. Thanks to all of your help. I guess the ista and cable is the only way out for this sort of thing.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I finally got it fixed! All thru the tech stream software and what was posted before about using the proprietary cables and the tech stream Toyota ista. Plug in and then follow the prompt. Took me a week to figure the software out. It ain't easy but I have a lot of patience with computers. Thanks to all of your help. I guess the ista and cable is the only way out for this sort of thing.
That is AWESOME and thank you for this incredibly helpful thread!!!! My mechanic said screw it and is doing the same process. If Toyota can’t do it, we can now (or my mechanic in my case 😜).