E30 vs 100 octane JB4

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Nobody's mixing extra ethanol with their gasoline on a 100% stock fuel system, right? I'm referring to not having any kind of Flex-Fuel kit, and just adding corn-juice as you feel like it.

I just picked up a JB4 and will be installing it in the next few days. I'm finding that I have quite a few questions about it, and no answers in the installation guide.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Nobody's mixing extra ethanol with their gasoline on a 100% stock fuel system, right? I'm referring to not having any kind of Flex-Fuel kit, and just adding corn-juice as you feel like it.

I just picked up a JB4 and will be installing it in the next few days. I'm finding that I have quite a few questions about it, and no answers in the installation guide.
Yeah - we literally all are. I run E40-E50, but I balance trims with meth. You can easily run E30 with JB4 and no fuel system upgrades. No flex fuel kit here. Just measure out the fuel, and away we go. Trims, AFR, everything is very healthy.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny

Stock fuel system + JB4 = no problem at E30.

Stock fuel system + DME tune = no problems with E50.

But bigger turbo with E50, you're looking at LPFP/HPFP upgrades. This is my best understanding.

Got_M

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium
Yeah - we literally all are. I run E40-E50, but I balance trims with meth. You can easily run E30 with JB4 and no fuel system upgrades. No flex fuel kit here. Just measure out the fuel, and away we go. Trims, AFR, everything is very healthy.
Bingo! This is what I plan to do. I will report back soon!

Got_M

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium
Start low (like 2 gal E85) - every car is different. And read my thread 😬
Just read it. Very nice write up! I do have a 93 custom map 6 from Jesse.... Wanted to try Map 5 on E to see if I could squeeze out some better times. Thoughts?

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
Just read it. Very nice write up! I do have a 93 custom map 6 from Jesse.... Wanted to try Map 5 on E to see if I could squeeze out some better times. Thoughts?
Yup, should be able to get more power on E. Continuing conversation in PMs.

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
With JB4, the flex fuel is a bit of a misnomer. It simply tells you the % of e (well, really the % of "not gas") running through the system. The JB4 isn't scaling up or down the tune like a real tuning solution would.

Myself, I have 1 gas station that I purchase my fuel and it's the fuel I ran when getting my custom tune. I run the tank near empty and fuel up the same ratio. It works for me.

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI

With JB4, the flex fuel is a bit of a misnomer. It simply tells you the % of e (well, really the % of "not gas") running through the system. The JB4 isn't scaling up or down the tune like a real tuning solution would.

Myself, I have 1 gas station that I purchase my fuel and it's the fuel I ran when getting my custom tune. I run the tank near empty and fuel up the same ratio. It works for me.
Yes, people do mix extra ethanol in, but should not exceed E30 in most occasions with stock fuel map (including any JB4 map).

Agreed that JB4 is not flex fuel at all. It just integrates with the E analyzer so you can make sure you have enough ethanol/octane to run an aggressive map that was tuned for a certain E level. No flex maps, everything is manual.