Eventuri Airbox Install Problems

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Alright, so I have everything out of the car. I have the new fancy airbox assembled. How the actual f*ck am I supposed to line-up the inflexible stock cold air inlet below the airbox with the inflexible inlet on the airbox itself when it's impossible to see... because there's an airbox in the way! I can barely even feel the dang thing even when twisting my arm like I'm possessed by a demon.

The instructions are just like "snap everything together and you're good to go!" and the install videos are like "just slide the airbox down there ensuring it lines up with the inlet and snaps into the grommets and you're ready to kick some butt!" This is a dramatic understatement about how difficult this is, all the while trying not to scratch your new $1400 carbon fiber component.

I don't remember having this much trouble at all when reinstalling the stock airbox after a couple of projects I had to remove it for. Anyone have any tips that would make this easier? :mad:
Sponsored

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
When you have eventuri all assembled together push in the inlet pipe into the box as far as it will go (this will make the unit smaller). Then wiggle it into place, connect it, then snap the airbox into place and tighten the screws next to the airfilter.

I think that's the order I did it in (but it's been a few months). I've taken it out to replace the filter since that time.. Once you do it once it will take you less than 5 mins to do it again. First time was a pain in the ass though. Good luck!

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Pictures please
Alright, so this piece:

PXL_20210917_195342334 - Copy.jpg

Is supposed to fit into this piece:

PXL_20210917_195429870 - Copy.jpg

The factory cold air intake location. For the life of me I cannot get these two pieces to line up with a big ass airbox obstructing my view. Now the rubber grommet you see in front of that cold air intake did pop out when I took the factory airbox out, and I'm fairly sure I put it back correctly, but maybe that's the issue. On the stock airbox there's a plastic post that fits into the rubber grommet that holds the airbox and the factory cold air into place together. That does not exist on the Eventuri part, which is kind of a bummer, because I remember that making it much easier to get a positive lock.

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
Alright, so this piece:

PXL_20210917_195342334 - Copy.jpg

Is supposed to fit into this piece:

PXL_20210917_195429870 - Copy.jpg

The factory cold air intake location. For the life of me I cannot get these two pieces to line up with a big ass airbox obstructing my view. Now the rubber grommet you see in front of that cold air intake did pop out when I took the factory airbox out, and I'm fairly sure I put it back correctly, but maybe that's the issue. On the stock airbox there's a plastic post that fits into the rubber grommet that holds the airbox and the factory cold air into place together. That does not exist on the Eventuri part, which is kind of a bummer, because I remember that making it much easier to get a positive lock.
Do what tsar said to do. I was doing the same thing and worrying about the cold air parts lining up. Get your intake hose onto your turbo then make sure your intake box is in the correct location and push down....if you have the box in the right spot your stock cold air tube lines right up with the eventuri after it snaps into place.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Thanks y'all. Will give this a try here in a bit!
Hang in there, underdonk.. at the end it is all worth it! I didn't have that issue but dropped a screw into the abyss.. per other thread. :cloud:

IMG_Sep182021at103341AM.jpg

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Hang in there, underdonk.. at the end it is all worth it! I didn't have that issue but dropped a screw into the abyss.. per other thread. :cloud:

IMG_Sep182021at103341AM.jpg
That looks so bad ass!

So I actually figured it out after much throwing of tools and cursing. This was a test to see if the air box would fit on with the Versus Engineering Air/Oil Separator and their heat shield for the '21 cars. It will not! Except if you take the heat shield off that comes on the airbox. Then it fits right in. So what I did was take a few layers of that high temp gold tape and put it on the side of the airbox where the heat shield was. That plus the Versus heat shield, as well as the airbox being carbon fiber and transferring practically no heat anyway, should be just fine. What I thought was pretty cheesy, actually, was the heat shield that came on the $1400 airbox was just a piece of aluminum with some of that exact gold tape on it anyway.

I still wasn't super excited about the fitment with the inlet to the airbox from the factory cold air intake point. It didn't really seem to form a seal and there was just a little play. The factory airbox has a post there that fits into a grommet, and you're telling me that for this expensive of a part they couldn't put one on there to hold things into place? There's even a little hole on the bottom of that piece on the airbox like one was supposed to be there but they decided not to use it for whatever reason. Seems suspect. Probably makes no difference what-so-ever, but because I'm a crazy person, I put a few layers of the heat tape around it to ensure a good seal. It's all pretty much a moot point anyways once I get the headlight intake system.

SO, job done. My kiddo is sleeping so I can't fire it up yet (thanks AWE Track Edition exhaust ?), but I'm looking forward to getting out on the road and winding it out a bit. Hopefully it makes a good difference in both sound and power.

Thank you all for your help and words of encouragement!

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I wonder if the 2021 has a slightly different fitment vs the 2020 which mine is. But glad to hear you found the issue. Hope you get to fire her up later today! :beer:

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I wonder if the 2021 has a slightly different fitment vs the 2020 which mine is. But glad to hear you found the issue. Hope you get to fire her up later today! :beer:
Could be! Would be interested to hear from anyone with a '21 that has this component on their car.

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Took it for a test drive. I expected more intake noise, but the car is dominated so much by the loud AWE exhaust it can be difficult to tell. No doubt the thing is like a rocketship - it definitely added more power, probably moreso because of some of the other mods I have on the car. But, it seemed to change the... character of the car? It's hard to put my finger on. The throttle feels... different. Anyone else experience anything like this?

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
Took it for a test drive. I expected more intake noise, but the car is dominated so much by the loud AWE exhaust it can be difficult to tell. No doubt the thing is like a rocketship - it definitely added more power, probably moreso because of some of the other mods I have on the car. But, it seemed to change the... character of the car? It's hard to put my finger on. The throttle feels... different. Anyone else experience anything like this?
I couldn't tell you. When I installed mine I went from stock to intake, catless dp, and a tune. You shouldn't feel an increase in power if you are stock tune because the computer will adjust for additional flow.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I too went from stock to JB4 to intake rather quickly so not sure how much the intake itself improved the performance, but I can tell you that my car is night and day faster vs stock with this set up.

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
It's a closed box intake so I didnt expect much more noise improvement and when I was stock except eventuri I dont think there was much extra. Under load with windows down - yea. Regular driving nahhh. Don't think there was much performance gain, if any, and the way I looked at it - Intakes are basically for looks in this car and eventuri gets that job done :dunno:
Sponsored