Falken RT660 Review - 2500 miles to the Tail of the Dragon

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
Just returned from my trip down to NC/TN and I figured I should type a few things about these tires.

Im running 275/35 and 295/35. These tires run large and are basically like running 285/305. I am getting rubbing front and rear on the top of the fender during heavy braking and acceleration. Normal street driving there is no rubbing. (Attached some photos to show this, zoom in and youll see a soft line around the whole shoulder of the tire)

These tires overall have been very impressive, road noise is more then the stock PSS but not by all that much. They were able to handle rain and 35-40 degree ambient temps during highway cruising. They will start to float at higher speeds if there is standing water, but anything blow 65mph is stable.

I ran 32psi cold at first and this ended up being far too high pushing 40+ hot, I targeted around 35-38 psi hot.

In comparison to the PSS or similar tire these absolutely take a bit longer to come up to temp and give confidence. First mile or two of the day I would fall behind waiting for the tires but once they started to go above 100-120F they felt great to push on. That being said these tires really struggle to light off when ambient temps go below 50F, at least on the street. On track where you can safely push harder lower ambient temps might be possible.

After 2500 miles, 1800 of which was pure highway cruising the tires still looks largely new. I need to bring the car to the track this summer to decide if I should go down a size in the front but on the street there is a massive amount of lateral grip with this setup. Overall this is a very impressive tire for this car and kept the balance exactly as it should be. If you are considering these tires consider carefully the size you buy as they run a size large

As far as straight line traction they hookup very well once warm. Not as well as an r888r but not far behind. These tires have far better feel during cornering then a r888r though and to me thats worth losing a bit of straight line traction for.

Random thoughts:

- Getting used to sitting on the rear axle makes you turn in a few feet early. Really odd sensation and takes some getting used too.
- Stock brakes are not good enough, was constantly on the edge of fade the entire trip. Will need to upgrade to something better soon.
- Stock intake manifold is not up for the task and a better core is needed to keep IATs more reasonable. Will need to replace this soon as well.
- Transmission acted weird on multiple occasions flaring, soft shifting, and shift blocks even during heavy decel. Hopefully the upcoming trans tune can help with that.
- The adhesive on my HKS coil isolators failed and I now have some suspension noise since part of the isolator has come off. Ill need to get something to fix this.
- White wheels are a giant bitch and I didnt even bother trying to keep them clean.

20220410_152655971_iOS.jpg
20220410_152647904_iOS.jpg

3596257_50.jpg

3596259_50.jpg
Sponsored

RichSC

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 LE Supra #86, 2018 Raptor
Definitely a tire better suited for track use. I was using 265/35 and 295/35 when I still had the car on TEs and the fronts destroyed the front plastic fender liners from rubbing.

CSG pads and a better fluid will be good for most uses. No need to go crazy right away with a BBK.

AMS manifold is probably one of the best things I've spent money on for this car. Noticeable difference in performance with it keeping temps down.

OP
OP
dzeleski

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
Definitely a tire better suited for track use. I was using 265/35 and 295/35 when I still had the car on TEs and the fronts destroyed the front plastic fender liners from rubbing.

CSG pads and a better fluid will be good for most uses. No need to go crazy right away with a BBK.

AMS manifold is probably one of the best things I've spent money on for this car. Noticeable difference in performance with it keeping temps down.
Absolutely it is but after years of constantly swapping tires around on race bikes I just want one set for everything and be done with it.

Im going to go with a Racing Brake rotor kit as well as CSG pads because im not impressed with the stock rotors in several ways. BBK is not needed for my use case and that money is better spent elsewhere.

I will either go AMS, CSF, or the new Remnant Performance one that should come out by the time I will be buying.

RichSC

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 LE Supra #86, 2018 Raptor
Absolutely it is but after years of constantly swapping tires around on race bikes I just want one set for everything and be done with it.

Im going to go with a Racing Brake rotor kit as well as CSG pads because im not impressed with the stock rotors in several ways. BBK is not needed for my use case and that money is better spent elsewhere.

I will either go AMS, CSF, or the new Remnant Performance one that should come out by the time I will be buying.
Hear that, used to race bikes too. I rarely drive the car on the street anymore so it stays on the T7s and A052s. Considering going back to the Falkens though. Not quite as fast as the Yokos, but they wear a lot better and don't cost nearly as much.

I had looked at the RB rotors too, I'll have to get your feedback on them later. That said though, I didn't really have any problems the the OE rotors. Even at COTA with the long straights and heavy braking zones, wasn't disappointed with the brakes at any point.

OP
OP
dzeleski

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
No need for RB rotors unless you have cash to burn. Good pads and fluid makes all the difference.
You cant just put pads on torched rotors, the rotors are ruined. They could probably be cut but that removes heat capacity. The rotors are crappy metal, they are not coated, and throw rust everywhere from inside the cooling vanes. They have also worn significantly from just one aggressive week of driving, let alone track days.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
You cant just put pads on torched rotors, the rotors are ruined. They could probably be cut but that removes heat capacity. The rotors are crappy metal, they are not coated, and throw rust everywhere from inside the cooling vanes. They have also worn significantly from just one aggressive week of driving, let alone track days.
OEM rotors are fine. If yours are close to the min wear thickness, then by all means replace. I'm just trying to save you some money. Replacing with another set of OEM will do that.

Plenty of guys running OEM rotors with upgraded pads and fluid on track, myself included.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Your car looks absolutely phenomenal. Great pics. Glad it's performing well!

reNeglect

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra, 2017 BMW X5
I was planning to switch to these tires as well this season but due to stock/wait times i got another set Of PS4S which are okay but straight line I wish i had grip. Good to know they run wide.

What suspension are you running? I have rubbing issues in the front as well, driver side last year tore through the liner which i have replaced this season. Im planning to get the SPL caster bushings installed in the next week which should fix the caster angle but i may also increase ride height a touch.

OP
OP
dzeleski

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
I was planning to switch to these tires as well this season but due to stock/wait times i got another set Of PS4S which are okay but straight line I wish i had grip. Good to know they run wide.

What suspension are you running? I have rubbing issues in the front as well, driver side last year tore through the liner which i have replaced this season. Im planning to get the SPL caster bushings installed in the next week which should fix the caster angle but i may also increase ride height a touch.
HKS lowering springs. Iā€™m only lowered about a half inch from stock height.

Once I get to a proper track Iā€™ll decide on if I need coils or not.

OP
OP
dzeleski

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
OEM rotors are fine. If yours are close to the min wear thickness, then by all means replace. I'm just trying to save you some money. Replacing with another set of OEM will do that.

Plenty of guys running OEM rotors with upgraded pads and fluid on track, myself included.
I have zero desire to save money on something as critical as my brakes. Iā€™ve had brakes fail before at triple digit speeds. I assure you that itā€™s not entertaining. My life and fellow track drivers lives are worth more then 2k. If I buy the same rotors the same result is going to happen. Even with different pads, in fact it will be worse with higher friction pads.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I have zero desire to save money on something as critical as my brakes. Iā€™ve had brakes fail before at triple digit speeds. I assure you that itā€™s not entertaining. My life and fellow track drivers lives are worth more then 2k. If I buy the same rotors the same result is going to happen. Even with different pads, in fact it will be worse with higher friction pads.
Def sounds like you have had a much different experience than other people with 20+ years of track and instructing experience. But okay, you should do what makes you feel comfortable.

Vroomin350

First Name
Yohan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GS C7 Corvette
thanks for the thread, I was just looking at these tires and the Indy 500s. Good to know these run big.

Question for those who have TEs. So 265/35/19 will rub ?

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450

pics?

no way you "torched" stock rotors on "spirited" road driving.

OP
OP
dzeleski

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
Def sounds like you have had a much different experience than other people with 20+ years of track and instructing experience. But okay, you should do what makes you feel comfortable.
Maybe I have a soft set of rotors. In any case they are no longer any good. Doesnā€™t matter as Iā€™m not going to replace them with OEM and risk the exact same issue happening.

Iā€™ve done track days, racing, and instructing for almost a decade now. Iā€™m not about to get into an argument about how I want my own car setup.
Sponsored