Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
pretty cool so far.
Don't really run timer apps anymore except when i go to VIR or something. SCCA transponder but i hardly look.

anyhoo- set some base laps in cold damp not really trying mode. excited to see what it recommends as i build laps at the various tracks. Off to Summit next week.

How much data can these store??
Sponsored

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Right on brother! It can store a ton with the extra SD card. I bought a phat one really cheap on Amazon. Talked to another guy who said he hasn’t even erased his yet and it‘s been two years, lol.

Remember to set it to allow friends. Then you can compare laps and view the leaderboard for any given track you’ve been on, via the app. It’s such a great tool. On the unit itself, you can look at your optimal sectors. The more data you input, the more it will find for you to improve on. As you can see below I can improve on a lot if I do what it says.

IMG_2261.png

I’d also recommend using the voice coach while driving. I thought it’d be obtrusive but it’s not.
Enjoy! And share your thoughts on ways I can get more out of it as well. Especially since you track so much 🏁

Last edited:

Afterfire

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2006 S2000, 2013 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
If you run into issue of it not powering on the camera or displaying video, sometimes they dont seem to like additional SD cards in the side. I couldnt figure out the issue and wasted a TT weekends worth of data. A friend ran into a similar issue and told me what worked for him and it worked for me.

Kevo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Poopra, 95 240s(u)x, 91 240s(u)x, 01 Cherocrap
my best friend runs one and absolutely loves it and so far after a season still has plenty of room on his, would love to get one myself.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I've been low-key looking for a used one for sale, to get me to say "f it, why not?". No such luck. $1000 buys so many go-fast parts LOL.
Maybe one day.
How large is the "last lap" and delta displays? I'd like to know my time lap-to-lap without having to squint (with Harry's Lap Timer).

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I've been low-key looking for a used one for sale, to get me to say "f it, why not?". No such luck. $1000 buys so many go-fast parts LOL.
Maybe one day.
How large is the "last lap" and delta displays? I'd like to know my time lap-to-lap without having to squint (with Harry's Lap Timer).
You can zoom in all over the map on the app. And the display is nice and large for me. I have the same issue. A buddy bought one use for about $600. Check the garmin website and eBay for a refurbished one. Like you, it thought the price was too steep until I saw it in action.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=84p60KQ7qC3ESA7YBwHrw6

Lots of helpful links on the garmin website as well

OP
OP
Rocksandblues

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Maybe one day.

Plenty large.

brucebigbro

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 2.0
Right on brother! It can store a ton with the extra SD card. I bought a phat one really cheap on Amazon. Talked to another guy who said he hasn’t even erased his yet and it‘s been two years, lol.

Remember to set it to allow friends. Then you can compare laps and view the leaderboard for any given track you’ve been on, via the app. It’s such a great tool. On the unit itself, you can look at your optimal sectors. The more data you input, the more it will find for you to improve on. As you can see below I can improve on a lot if I do what it says.

IMG_2261.png

I’d also recommend using the voice coach while driving. I thought it’d be obtrusive but it’s not.
Enjoy! And share your thoughts on ways I can get more out of it as well. Especially since you track so much 🏁
wait how did you get the results on your phone? lol

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
There is an app. You sync your data and friends
Wait, what if you don't have friends?? Asking for a..eh nm. I def still want one of these haha.

I don't have much track experience, how helpful would ya'll say the voice coaching is? That seems like it would be really helpful. đŸ€”

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Wait, what if you don't have friends?? Asking for a..eh nm. I def still want one of these haha.

I don't have much track experience, how helpful would ya'll say the voice coaching is? That seems like it would be really helpful. đŸ€”
How much is "not much"? I'd say $1000 worth of live instructor would be best if you are newish. You can't beat having an actual person riding with you and giving advice/feedback.

OP
OP
Rocksandblues

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think it would be

I think it would VERY helpful for new track guy

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
How much is "not much"? I'd say $1000 worth of live instructor would be best if you are newish. You can't beat having an actual person riding with you and giving advice/feedback.
wait how did you get the results on your phone? lol
The Garmin Catalyst app will still give you all the info. No “friends” needed. It’ll put together all of your best sectors for you to review.

Absolutely get the best instructor or pay for a real coach (pro) to give you a baseline lap - that would be fantastic to compare to. But that’s much later on - comparing a pro’s time to yours in with the Garmin app, imo. In the beginning you’ll only be threshold braking, trail braking comes later, etc. So a really good instructor is paramount when you’re 1st starting.

No one said this sport is cheap, lol. But your 1st track day is, thanks to Toyota. So that’s a no brainer. If anyone is going to do this more. Having the data really adds to your learning curve and appreciation of going faster on track.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rocksandblues

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah.

BBA5A5DF-1021-445C-96BD-322F86417CA2.png

the leader board in the app is pretty addictive and tickles my ego. The data over lay in the video feature is stupid easy

really easy to understand data and graphics of where I am still leaving time on the table.

working this week on sharing lap data with a friend so we can work on dropping his time.

Benefits are long. Features are a marketing home run for Garmin
Sponsored