Flex fuel/ e50 tune questions

SavagePassenger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 WRX
I'm running a flex tune (with kit of course) up to e50 and was curious if anyone here might know or have thoughts on a couple of things:

With the fuel mix is there any downside if I go a percent or two above 50 when running ethanol? I wouldn't think being at 51% to 53% E would harm anything but was curious, trying to get my mix more exact when filling up.

Also is it recommended at all to run a tank of 93 octane e10 gas every once in a while with this platform? I've heard that with some other cars just as a safety thing, probably for the fuel system. Thanks
Sponsored

Bigjsn250

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
No issue running a few percent over. Modern fuel system have no trouble with E85, especially when only running E50. If your car is not sitting for long periods of time, there is no need to run straight 93 occasionally.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
A few percent over is fine, but if you go too far you run the risk of maxing out the fuel system at full throttle. One time I spaced out while filling up and accidentally went way over before catching it. I ended up at something like E60-65. It ran fine, I just took it easy for ~30 miles and then added more 93 to bring the ratio back down.

EddieNel

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F350
Ok dumb question. Why not tune it on straight e85 and tune on straight 93? Will the computer not compensate for any blends?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Ok dumb question. Why not tune it on straight e85 and tune on straight 93? Will the computer not compensate for any blends?
You're describing Flex Tunes. You need a pretty beefy fuel system (pump and Port Injection), plays BM3 CustomROM or Ecutek for that.

EddieNel

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F350
You're describing Flex Tunes. You need a pretty beefy fuel system (pump and Port Injection), plays BM3 CustomROM or Ecutek for that.
That’s the direction I want to go. Thank you. It seems like that is the foundation for any kind of real growth.

racebuild

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW
That would be a flex fuel tune. Set your base fuel map and with an ethanol sensor it’ll scale your tune according to the E content that it’s reading.

With stock fueling you’re gonna be limited to ~e60 depending on the tune.

OP
OP
SavagePassenger

SavagePassenger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 WRX
No you wont, there's plenty of spark, you'll just run lean as fuck and melt stuff.
By melt stuff do you literally mean spit flames? not that I'm trying to do that lol. Doing my best to get the mix as close to 50% ethanol as I can but was wondering about any downsides of being slightly over that.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
By melt stuff do you literally mean spit flames? not that I'm trying to do that lol. Doing my best to get the mix as close to 50% ethanol as I can but was wondering about any downsides of being slightly over that.
I believe he means as in, melt a piston.

1st_engine_75ee8559e5090a43782b2dfdca847f3d2be618d6.jpg

OP
OP
SavagePassenger

SavagePassenger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 WRX
Gotcha, makes sense. I was assuming running way over what the car is tuned for without the supporting parts/tuning would lead to damage.

I guess the consensus is that a percent or two over e50 until you re-mix shouldn't be an issue right?
Sponsored