Forbes Article States 3.0 I-6 w/ 360 Horsepower, Spring '19, $60k

Status
Not open for further replies.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
22,300USD in 2003 converted from JPY, so it would actually be $29.8k, but given that the MSRP for the 86 6spd is 28.5 atm my point still stands lol.

the fully loaded R was like 25k though, but I imagine the fully loaded 86 is more too.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
elitist? lol...we don't need to dumb down things because some folks can't get it down right away, that is a very slippery slope that we are experiencing in the auto industry. there are other cars that fill what you are looking for, the 86 doesn't need to pander to the same crowd. i get it doesn't appeal to more people, but like i said, niche cars shouldn't be developed by committee, there should be experiences that really only specific enthusiasts appreciate.
^
Nobody is saying "take away the option for heel-toeing", just give others the option not to do it if they don't want to. What's the problem with that? "I don't want rev-matching so you can't have it either" sounds like the kind of response you'd expect to witness in a kindergarten class... Sales of the twins have fallen so low recently Toyota and Subaru need to do anything they can to increase their appeal.

There is one legitimate argument for not bringing rev-matching to the twins though - the opportunity cost of doing so given the car has cost limits. IIRC Toyota does not currently have any rev-matching tech; if developing it in-house or licensing it from elsewhere is going to add substantially to the cost of the car, or will divert money from elsewhere such as engine/suspension/steering upgrades, it may not be appropriate to add it. Toyota might consider going the route Nissan took with the 370Z, and make it available only on upper trim models.

Back to the Supra - it's not coming with any type of manual so I guess the boatloads of manual purists out there won't be buying it.

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
I don't think the 86/BRZ was optioned incorrectly at all for that price and segment, but I do feel they are underpowered and that the boxer platform is very mediocre for a multitude of reasons.

The example I've used several times over the years for what the car should have been is the Nissan Silvia... same segment, similar options, and was available I4 turbo or N/A, with the turbo models ranging from mid to high 20k range. Same segment as the original h achi-roku? No, but neither is the new car. The FWD Corolla is the same segment that the RWD Corolla was when new; a shitbox economy car.

From 99-'02, you could buy a Silvia Spec-R for the equivalent of $28k that had 250hp. The S13 had 205hp in 1991-1992, and the S14 had 220hp in 1994-1998. All of them stayed right around the $25-28k mark too (that's with inflation added).
dude AMEN to all that.
The silvia should be the benchmark for affordable sports cars.I love all the latest silvias s13 to s15 , they are truly amazing.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
22,300USD in 2003 converted from JPY, so it would actually be $29.8k, but given that the MSRP for the 86 6spd is 28.5 atm my point still stands lol.

the fully loaded R was like 25k though, but I imagine the fully loaded 86 is more too.
well if we're converting from yen, the 86 starts at $22 k USD in japan :)

Nobody is saying "take away the option for heel-toeing", just give others the option not to do it if they don't want to. What's the problem with that? "I don't want rev-matching so you can't have it either" sounds like the kind of response you'd expect to witness in a kindergarten class... Sales of the twins have fallen so low recently Toyota and Subaru need to do anything they can to increase their appeal.

There is one legitimate argument for not bringing rev-matching to the twins though - the opportunity cost of doing so given the car has cost limits. IIRC Toyota does not currently have any rev-matching tech; if developing it in-house or licensing it from elsewhere is going to add substantially to the cost of the car, or will divert money from elsewhere such as engine/suspension/steering upgrades, it may not be appropriate to add it. Toyota might consider going the route Nissan took with the 370Z, and make it available only on upper trim models.

Back to the Supra - it's not coming with any type of manual so I guess the boatloads of manual purists out there won't be buying it.
they aren't a sports car company, they only sell these things only for brand image so i don't think sales really matters for them lol. if you really care so much about rev matching on a manual trans for every single car then http://www.ecutek.com/

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have any information on other specs of the car yet? Differential type? Brake calipers? etc...

I would love to see the torque vectoring diff from the RC-F in this new car....but....I can only hope at this point.

2.5jz

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Jzx100
BMW engines? I work at a Toyota dealer, I think this is going to create a lot of headaches.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
So much info floating around...I cant see Toyot putting BMW engine/drivetrain in it but its possible I guess...

2.5 If you work at Toyota dealer have they told you any details?

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The parts will have Toyota part numbers just like the 86.

I can't comment further on this however, aside from saying this has been covered previously in a discussion about what Toyota would have in regards to making the motor their own.

There are so many paralells between this car and the 86; you can actually extrapolate a lot.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
Hmmm...personally I am ok if it is that size, others I know what a bigger car...4 seater etc....86>Supra 2020 = 911 challenger?

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm not really talking about size or options, but more the way parts are handled and how the motor and drivetrain were handled.

That said, it's a tiny car for a Supra

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
Totally agree, I want a smaller one also....I mentioned this earllier...so many models getting bigger heavier and losing alot of driver feeling, BMW addressed this with their M2...the wait is killing me...

Status
Not open for further replies.