Status
Not open for further replies.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve said it before and Iā€™ll say it again...pretty sure Toyota will name it ā€œGT-1ā€.

You all heard it from me first...

GT-86 was a FT-86 as concept, so following that naming schema, the FT-1 will be the GT-1. Now, whether they add the ā€œSupraā€ as the trim level (GT-1 Supra), that I canā€™t make an educated guess on.

MotorFF

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Could be onto something. Can't see this drawing too many parallels to the Supra for they Toyota marketing peeps to milk.

TBH, I am more or less just an observer now because this project is not delivering what I expected it would - no manual, no 2+2 being massive things for me.
It's turning into the future Mitsubishi 3000GT/GTO.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
Iā€™ve said it before and Iā€™ll say it again...pretty sure Toyota will name it ā€œGT-1ā€.

You all heard it from me first...

GT-86 was a FT-86 as concept, so following that naming schema, the FT-1 will be the GT-1. Now, whether they add the ā€œSupraā€ as the trim level (GT-1 Supra), that I canā€™t make an educated guess on.
Hmmm GT-1 sounds pretty good, GT-1 Supra even better....

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Screenshot_2018-02-05-23-54-01.png
Screenshot_2018-02-05-23-54-16.png
Screenshot_2018-02-05-23-54-28.png
The new 3 Series, it appears to have the same design language as the 5 series

redspencer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue Supra; Track-tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken TCD
TVD like in the RCF? That could be pretty cool, I dont know much about it but I see there a lot of moving parts and it could be heavy...
It is very heavy. The TVD adds an additional 70 lbs of weight over a Torsen LSD on the RC-F.

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
Back to the Supra - it's not coming with any type of manual so I guess the boatloads of manual purists out there won't be buying it.
Yes, I'd say that's completely accurate. I'm sure marketing has run the numbers and is comfortable in losing whatever that percentage is, but yes.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Yeah, there's a reason it was dropped. It was likely one of two things IMO, either BMW didn't want them to have a manual (very unlikely), or Toyota didn't think the ends justified the means (likely).

Just like others have said before, this car caters to a similar crowd as the Lexus F cars, and all of those have automatics. You can argue and get angry all you want, but that's just how it is.

zigzagz94

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ, 3g Eclipse
Yeah, there's a reason it was dropped. It was likely one of two things IMO, either BMW didn't want them to have a manual (very unlikely), or Toyota didn't think the ends justified the means (likely).

Just like others have said before, this car caters to a similar crowd as the Lexus F cars, and all of those have automatics. You can argue and get angry all you want, but that's just how it is.
Then please good sir, go back and tell your marketing buddies they better come out with a more powerful GT86 for the purists, lol and thank you.

Celica GT-Four FTW

Last edited:

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS

I'm not sure how the Supra caters to the same crowd. I get there are plenty of Lexus fans that would be interested in the Supra, but admittedly the Supra is traditionally more inline with the BMW type of enthusiasts than Lexus ones. Still wish there was more of a compromise to try and cater to manual lovers like the "digital" H shifter featured in the GR HV concept.

Last edited:

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
I'm not sure how the Supra caters to the same crowd. I get there are plenty of Lexus fans that would be interested in the Supra, but admittedly the Supra is traditionally more inline with the BMW type of enthusiasts than Lexus ones. Still wish there was more of a comprise to try and cater to manual lovers like the "digital" H shifter featured in the GR HV concept.
Yeah, I have to agree. I thought the Toyota was going to target a different buyer. I like the RCF, but it's not what I want. I think it's a good formula for a fairly big, heavy, 4 seater with a big engine. A nimble, 2 seater, ~3000lb Supra, to me, is asking for a manual. The ZF8 is a great transmission and won't hinder the Supra in being a serious performer, I'm just one of the few left who gets more enjoyment out of a clutch than having the fastest lap times.

Status
Not open for further replies.