Forbes Article States 3.0 I-6 w/ 360 Horsepower, Spring '19, $60k

Status
Not open for further replies.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I have 3 friends, one with an IS-F, one with an RC-F, and one with an M2. All are considering this new car, so yes people cross shop them and all fit the same demographic.

I understand some of you think that because it has a Toyota badge that's not possible, but it very much is, and I look to things like the GTR and what people cross shop with those.
Sponsored

Last edited:

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
I have 3 friends, one with an IS-F, one with an RC-F, and one with an M2. All are considering the Supra, so yes people cross shop them and all fit the same demographic.

I understand some of you think that because it has a Toyota badge that's not possible, but it is very much is, and I look to things like the GTR and what people cross shop with those.
yes I agree, I'm positive there are plenty of current Lexus owners/lovers that are interested in the Supra...I'm not talking about any brand image/issues...let me put it this way, if the Supra turns out disappointing for such enthusiasts, I sincerely doubt the majority of them would instead go after a Lexus RC or LC. I would think they would more likely get a vette, m2/m4, cayman, not join the Lexus crowd..

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
yes I agree, I'm positive there are plenty of current Lexus owners/lovers that are interested in the Supra...I'm not talking about any brand image/issues...let me put it this way, if the Supra turns out disappointing for such enthusiasts, I sincerely doubt the majority of them would instead go after a Lexus RC or LC. I would think they would more likely get a vette, m2/m4, cayman, not join the Lexus crowd..
Yes, exactly.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
As a current 2009 ISF owner...add me to the list. Agree the RCF is a wonderful car with lots of luxury items and room for 4 (small backseat) a big V8....really a great GT car, but as you noted it is large and heavy, so after a test drive, its not for me. In my opinion, in my price range, Lexus does not currently offer a good alternative (the GSF is really expensive also) and maybe that is by design of Lexus/Toyota...So I am anxious and hopeful the new Supra is exactly what I want or like most cosumers I will have to see what other brands have to offer (Supra donā€™t disappoint)...lol

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
well, either way, I hope someone raises all sorts of hell and gets a manual or at least a DCT into the car.. if that has to be the GR or GRMN, well at least it existed somewhere.
Maybe they will come out with a limited Supra R that sells for insane money and has a manual, only for the next facelift model to have the same trans... #PorscheProbs

Timster1990

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti Q50
as an aside and without pushing into other areas, marketing typically chooses what goes where, but to my knowledge what was said previously still holds true. I still haven't heard anything about the 4yl car since we last discussed it however, so who knows what is going down with that thing.
If there is no 4 cylinder, Forbes and the Bimmerpost guys are wrong about 30i @ 255HP then what does that leave us with?

No inline 6 n/a options as BMW has got rid of them. That only leaves us with a B58 @ 335 - 369 HP and maybe a detuned S55 @400.

However the more I think about this, the less sense it makes. The power levels would be too close to separate into trim levels and highly doubt BMW is going to let Toyota use their current M model engine.

So that leads me to believe that maybe we are only getting one version or two versions of a b58? Thus making the car at base trim a little more expensive due to the given performance of the b58.

@A70TTR
do you think most of these guys are wrong, or maybe you just haven't heard anything of a 4cyc at this point.

Last edited:

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
If there is no 4 cylinder, Forbes and the Bimmerpost guys are wrong about 30i @ 255HP then what does that leave us with?

No inline 6 n/a options as BMW has got rid of them. That only leaves us with a B58 @ 335 - 369 HP and maybe a detuned S55 @400.

However the more I think about this, the less sense it makes. The power levels would be too close to separate into trim levels and highly doubt BMW is going to let Toyota use there current M model engine.

So that leads me to believe that maybe we are only getting one version or two versions of a b58? Thus making the car at base trim a little more expensive due to the given performance of the b58.

@A70TTR
do you think most of these guys are wrong, or maybe you just haven't heard anything of a 4cyc at this point.
IIRC A70 was one of the first posters here to claim there would be a 4 banger, in fact potentially 2 of them for Europe/Asia

Timster1990

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti Q50
IIRC A70 was one of the first posters here to claim there would be a 4 banger, in fact potentially 2 of them for Europe/Asia
Yea, I'm reading through old post atm. But I think he later said back in December, it was being tested, but no plans for production. I'm just trying to narrow down what a base model may look like.

Blupra

First Name
Blu
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2 and Honda S2000 - both 6MT
I have 3 friends, one with an IS-F, one with an RC-F, and one with an M2. All are considering this new car, so yes people cross shop them and all fit the same demographic.

I understand some of you think that because it has a Toyota badge that's not possible, but it very much is, and I look to things like the GTR and what people cross shop with those.
Iā€™ve been close to buying an RCF or M2 to replace my daily driver. I want them for different reasons; the RCF due to the na V8, Lexus luxury, and Lexus reliability; the M2 due to the nimbleness, lighter weight, smaller size, and manual tranny. In a perfect world, I would buy a Supra (all the renderings look amazing btw) that is light and nimble like the M2, with Toyota reliability, and a manual tranny. Oh, and I prefer a back seat, even a tiny one.

Too bad the perfect car doesnā€™t exist.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I don't think anything is wrong per se, there are just varying levels of access.

I didn't have access to anywhere near the amount of information and hard evidence I I have now, but given that I really can't discuss recent developments.

Some things that I said are no longer accurate or were misunderstood at the time due to not having the ability to confirm things I was told. At the same time, much of it was correct and interpreted correctly.

Certain parts of a cars development are more dynamic than others. Something can be true at one point, like the 4cyl thing, and then change all the same.

Blupra

First Name
Blu
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2 and Honda S2000 - both 6MT
I don't think anything is wrong per se, there are just varying levels of access.

I didn't have access to anywhere near the amount of information and hard evidence I I have now, but given that I really can't discuss recent developments.

Some things that I said are no longer accurate or were misunderstood at the time due to not having the ability to confirm things I was told. At the same time, much of it was correct and interpreted correctly.

Certain parts of a cars development are more dynamic than others. Something can be true at one point, like the 4cyl thing, and then change all the same.
Crazy. I just hope we get some solid info on March 6. Iā€™m trying to stay away until then but itā€™s not working. Lol

Timster1990

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti Q50
@A70TTR Thanks for the feedback, I know you can't say much but some information is better then none at all

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yep, Ill continue to try to help, but I was just trying to convey how something can be true and then change and become untrue.

Its been annoying at certain points to find out after seeing something publicly, to go Oh I thought it was this and I'm met with, 'oh, it was but it changed'

But thats just the nature of it... You can't know it all because it's dynamic; you can only know what was true and it's subject to change.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.