Formula 1 Talk

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
Mclaren are for real. Mercedes may or may not confront and defeat them thanks to the - Lets prevent competition, absurdly low budget limit lol. Oh well. As Toto said they are moving fully to next years car already. Mclaren need the results for money now but they get penalized for doing better. Funking F1 absurdity lol. But man those team 'value's now approaching 1 Bil$ or more for most of them.
With half the season left, I am not sure McLaren can catch Merc for 2nd, but I think it is possible to catch Ferrari and maybe even Aston. Regardless they are in a great spot.
Sponsored

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
I have to disagree. Seems like some revisionist history here, Ricciardo and Max seemed really unhappy as teammates for most of their run together. Sure, they have both matured but I would be completely blown away if Ricciardo took Checo's ride.

Checo has not been qualifying great, but in the races he is typically pretty strong. I understand the car is exceptional, but he seems like as good of a 2 as you could get. Barring something wild happening with Lando or Mercedes.
Realistically, Danny Ric would have to finish the season amazingly and Perez slump or fall out of 2nd in driver standings in order for there to be a change at RB this year or next.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
After probably one of the most exciting qualies the race was a snooze fest.
Iā€™m just the opposite. I loved the race! But I love watching Max ride off into the history sunset and Red Bull (Perez) come from behind. I also like team Lando. Thus a perfect finish šŸ šŸ Additionally itā€™s almost like Perez has been following this Supra thread and wanted to prove us all wrong šŸ˜‚

How many more records can Max break? Thatā€™s what I want to see šŸæ

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Iā€™m just the opposite. I loved the race! But I love watching Max ride off into the history sunset and Red Bull (Perez) come from behind. I also like team Lando. Thus a perfect finish šŸ šŸ Additionally itā€™s almost like Perez has been following this Supra thread and wanted to prove us all wrong šŸ˜‚

Spa should suit the car, but I can see an equipment penalty happening there as it's easy to overtake. So even if Max gets pole, he might start 11th or lower. Unless they do it in Monza. We'll see.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si

Honestly, the race wasn't too bad overall. I'm not a huge fan of anyone to lead a race and basically not be challenged on the track for 99% of it. But like the rest of the season, if you ignore Max, the field is pretty exciting and close. That's not to say that Max isn't deserving of where he is, he's rewriting history, and I don't want to discount that. I just wish it was just a bit more exciting with someone actually challenging. To me it's like the Globe Trotters playing the Washington Generals. He's so incredibly far off into the distance that you rarely even see him in the race feed.

My boys at McLaren had a decent showing, I feel bad for Oscar but he's a rookie so it's still an amazing result for him. He'll get a podium eventually.

I was sad to see Danny Ric caught up in that opening lap drama, but he settled in and came home 13th, which I think was solid considering everything. Not to mention that it was his first race in this car and he out performed his teammate.

Optimusprimerib

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 manual base
Hello, what do you make out of AlphaTauri actually becoming less of a ā€œjuniorā€ team starting next year and more of a RedBull (1A vs 1) team? Supposedly, not just changing name, they will basically adapt the same suspension among other changes to become closer to meta RB? Or is this just rumor? Supposedly itā€™s why DannyRic was open to joining the junior squad.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hello, what do you make out of AlphaTauri actually becoming less of a ā€œjuniorā€ team starting next year and more of a RedBull (1A vs 1) team? Supposedly, not just changing name, they will basically adapt the same suspension among other changes to become closer to meta RB? Or is this just rumor? Supposedly itā€™s why DannyRic was open to joining the junior squad.
It's smart. The junior team buying from the senior team reduces cost significantly.
Mercedes has been doing it for years. Transmission, suspension, brakes, all bought by customer teams. That's why there were "pink Mercedes" at Racing Point etc.
With the cost cap, you have to be smarter. If Red Bull parts fit on Alpha Tauri, then that also works vice versa. So the junior team could use their allotted wind tunnel and budget to test things for both teams.
There are limits of course, only certain parts are allowed to be shared. It won't be like both cars will have the same front wings for example.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
1st question: With Americans getting more into the sport now, yā€™all think the companies will invest in more American drivers? Thinking from a business perspective. Max is still my fav by far and Lando 2nd. I donā€™t care where they live or where theyā€™re from. But some people do. People go crazy over here for NFL teams in their city or state - stupid amount of merchandise, tix & money.

2nd question: I looked up Logan Sargeant to confirm heā€™s from the USA and saw heā€™s from a billionaire family. Is this generally true of all F1 drivers? Iā€™m not naive & understand it takes millions to get into the sport at this level. So I guess, more specifically, at what entry level do the teams start paying (promoting) these drivers? Such as the lower formula series that youā€™d start to break even.

Side note: Iā€˜ve seen tons of rich kids come to Sebring FL from around the world. Itā€™s an old WWII airbase like Silverstone. So they fly in, get coaching (lessons) and continue to progress. It ainā€™t cheap. Thatā€™s for sure. Thereā€™s a guy all the pros know & respect, John Dean, who teaches stunt drivers and multilevel pros. Heā€™s the most incredible driver Iā€™ve ever seen in my life. When I asked him why doesnā€™t he just go out there and show em how itā€™s done. He (and other pros) said it takes more money than you can imagine. So Iā€™m finally getting the brevity of that statement. Fun to piece it all together many years later, lol.

(John Dean did do the MX5 Cup series a for a short stent and won more than anyone else in its history. I always thought, why doesnā€™t someone grab that guy & win?!?)

Last edited:

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1st question: With Americans getting more into the sport now, yā€™all think the companies will invest in more American drivers? Thinking from a business perspective. Max is still my fav by far and Lando 2nd. I donā€™t care where they live or where theyā€™re from. But some people do. People go crazy over here for NFL teams in their city or state - stupid amount of merchandise, tix & money.

2nd question: I looked up Logan Sargeant to confirm heā€™s from the USA and saw heā€™s from a billionaire family. Is this generally true of all F1 drivers? Iā€™m not naive & understand it takes millions to get into the sport at this level. So I guess, more specifically, at what entry level do the teams start paying (promoting) these drivers? Such as the lower formula series that youā€™d start to break even.

Side note: Iā€˜ve seen tons of rich kids come to Sebring FL from around the world. Itā€™s an old WWII airbase like Silverstone. So they fly in, get coaching (lessons) and continue to progress. It ainā€™t cheap. Thatā€™s for sure. Thereā€™s a guy all the pros know & respect, John Dean, who teaches stunt drivers and multilevel pros. Heā€™s the most incredible driver Iā€™ve ever seen in my life. When I asked him why doesnā€™t he just go out there and show em how itā€™s done. He (and other pros) said it takes more money than you can imagine. So Iā€™m finally getting the brevity of that statement. Fun to piece it all together many years later, lol.

(John Dean did do the MX5 Cup series a for a short stent and won more than anyone else in its history. I always thought, why doesnā€™t someone grab that guy & win?!?)
Yup! F1 is and always has been a "gentleman's sport". It takes lots of money.
That's why I always laugh when the plebs talk about how Max is only in F1 because of his dad's millions. Jos Verstappen is a peasant compared to the money behind the other drivers. Lando's family are Billionaires, as are Stroll's, and Russell's, and Latifi, and so on and so forth. In comparison Max's family is dirt ass poor.

American drivers can't hack it in Formula One. They just aren't good enough. Sargeant, Rossi, Speed, you name it. The last decent American in F1 was Mario Andretti, and he is originally from Europe too. His son was awful.
That's why all the F1 failures end up in Indy because it's super easy for them.
The exception is Jacques Villeneuve who was an Indy Champion and then came to F1 and did really well at Williams.
Americans tend to think you can win anything by just throwing money at it, and Formula One just doesn't work that way. They are the pinnacle, the elite. You can buy your way in, but unless daddy owns the team, you'll be chewed up and spat out. If Max, or Lando, or Russell weren't any good, they'd be long gone. And the best example of that is Mick Schumacher. The greatest name in all of racing, and he got fired. Sargeant won't last much longer, and Mick will be in that seat.
The most famous driver to "buy" a seat has to be Niki Lauda. It's rare, but some do make it.

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
Yup! F1 is and always has been a "gentleman's sport". It takes lots of money.
That's why I always laugh when the plebs talk about how Max is only in F1 because of his dad's millions. Jos Verstappen is a peasant compared to the money behind the other drivers. Lando's family are Billionaires, as are Stroll's, and Russell's, and Latifi, and so on and so forth. In comparison Max's family is dirt ass poor.

American drivers can't hack it in Formula One. They just aren't good enough. Sargeant, Rossi, Speed, you name it. The last decent American in F1 was Mario Andretti, and he is originally from Europe too. His son was awful.
That's why all the F1 failures end up in Indy because it's super easy for them.
The exception is Jacques Villeneuve who was an Indy Champion and then came to F1 and did really well at Williams.
Americans tend to think you can win anything by just throwing money at it, and Formula One just doesn't work that way. They are the pinnacle, the elite. You can buy your way in, but unless daddy owns the team, you'll be chewed up and spat out. If Max, or Lando, or Russell weren't any good, they'd be long gone. And the best example of that is Mick Schumacher. The greatest name in all of racing, and he got fired. Sargeant won't last much longer, and Mick will be in that seat.
The most famous driver to "buy" a seat has to be Niki Lauda. It's rare, but some do make it.
The only reason there aren't more Americans in the sport is because it just wasn't popular here 15 years ago when this generation of drivers were working their way through the leagues. I guarantee you the grid will have multiple Americans in the coming decades (if it survives that long).

You're talking about it like Americans inherently can't kick it in high-level racing, but even the best of F1 drivers can struggle in sports like Indy (ie. Alonso - who is one of the greatest racing drivers of all time)

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The only reason there aren't more Americans in the sport is because it just wasn't popular here 15 years ago when this generation of drivers were working their way through the leagues. I guarantee you the grid will have multiple Americans in the coming decades (if it survives that long).

You're talking about it like Americans inherently can't kick it in high-level racing, but even the best of F1 drivers can struggle in sports like Indy (ie. Alonso - who is one of the greatest racing drivers of all time)
Alonso almost won it first time out, but the car crapped out if I remember correctly, and the other times the car was just awful.
I didn't watch it, but that's kinda what I remember from it from media intertwined with F1.
Had he done a full season in a competitive team I have no doubt he would've done really well.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
other reason is, FIA super license to compete in F1 is harder for American race series such as NASCAR & Indy car. You get such a little points from those sports than F2 or other European leagues.

as for other question, there are exceptions such as lewis hamilton. he came from non-racing inherited family with moderate income. and there are others drivers compete purely based on their talents but having racing inherited and/or deep pocket who can shell out billions are so much easier to be in the sports.

following video may give you some idea how much it cost to be in entry level semi-pro races.

OP
OP
RWhiz

RWhiz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche 911 964, Tacoma, 2021 Absolute Zero Premium
Hamilton and Ocon are exceptions as drivers how made it to F1 without coming from millions, so it can happen but itā€™s rare.

Also, go back 15 years as ColonalAdama said and F1 just wasnā€™t as big in the states, so a quick kid might look at NASCAR as a place to make a living rather than F1.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
Could be somewhat possible but definitely complicated. Teams technically canā€™t share information at least not freely. So what does happen is RB can supply some parts to their second team, but that team would still have to do their own work as far as aero and different setups. The FIA would not allow there to be basically 4 of the same cars all on the grid between two teams.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si

While America is a pretty big revenue stream, it really only has been exploited since the Netflix series started a handful of years ago. That has had a MUCH bigger impact for North American market than any single US driver joining the grid. There has been American drivers in the past, but that alone has not expanded the viewership in the US market. US follows a lot of motorsports but they typically only follow their own self created leagues. NASCAR and INDY being the two big ones.

So as far as how to become an F1 driver, most definitely it's easier if you have a lot of money or come from a moderately wealthy family. The typical path is starting at a very young age in carting, moving up those ranks until you are a teenager and then being recruited by teams for their junior programs. Then it's through the formula ranks until you become one of the top drivers in the world. It's not a cheap endeavor, it's not like putting your kid in soccer or basketball/baseball. Carting requires a lot of time and money, but there are sponsors out there that lend a helping hand in promising drivers. There is a lot of travel outside of the US and other parts of the world seem to have a better system in place to nurture these young drivers and provide opportunities. But that's not to say things aren't getting better in the US, I'm sure they are and will continue.

Look at it this way, prior to the 00's Canadian basketball was an afterthought and only a hand full of players from Canada ever make the NBA. Then you have Vince Carter with the Raptors expand local viewership, Steve Nash winning multiple MVP's, and fast forward a few years and you have many Canadian players in the NBA, in fact I think they have the most NBA players outside of the US. So it doesn't just take a player from that country to get the ball rolling, it takes a special team and player with success to open peoples eyes, this gets more kids on the court, then a decade or two later those kids end up being in the NBA. There was a lot more spending from government in providing facilities for these young kids and it's paid off. So that's what I think you'll see in F1, it'll just take some time, maybe a decade, and you'll be seeing more American F1 drivers.
Sponsored