OP

tharris4995

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Wrangler
Cars are a terrible investment. Don’t think anything in terms of value retention. Throw that out the window and decide if you like the car and if its price is equal or close enough to what you feel is fair.

If it turns out to be the next Stanley cup or Trader Joe’s tote then happy accident.
Thanks for the input. That actually helped. Now I’m inclined to wait. However with the option of buying new I’d be paying the same after the crazy markups these dealers are after, and used manuals seem really hard to come by.
Sponsored

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Thanks for the input. That actually helped. Now I’m inclined to wait. However with the option of buying new I’d be paying the same after the crazy markups these dealers are after, and used manuals seem really hard to come by.
Don’t be afraid to travel for exactly what you want. I drove 2 hours away for my car. Now granted 2 hours is not long/far but be willing to look further than you might want to. Be a nice story to need a plane ticket and subsequent road trip.

OP
OP

tharris4995

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Wrangler
Don’t be afraid to travel for exactly what you want. I drove 2 hours away for my car. Now granted 2 hours is not long/far but be willing to look further than you might want to. Be a nice story to need a plane ticket and subsequent road trip.
This car is exactly what I want, it’s just the price that I don’t like lol.

MrNobody

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Trdoffroad 4runner
This car is exactly what I want, it’s just the price that I don’t like lol.
66k seems really high. But it's your money. Everyone has their threshold for where they want to land on price and if they think the markup is worth it.

Look at it this way, those cars were to be had brand new on showroom floors with pdi miles for that price.

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
I definitely want to..
There’s nothing I don’t love about the car, other then my friend comparing it to a Miata due to its size!
Buy the car, trade in your friend, haha. Just do what you can afford, and don't overpay for a car, based on emotion. That price seems a little high.

Last edited:
OP
OP

tharris4995

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Wrangler
Buy the car, trade in your friend, haha. Just do what you can afford, and don't overpay for a car, based on emotion. That price seems a little high.
It’s actually low when compared to others just like it, but that’s what I’m wondering, is the 1/500 worth the price increase. I’d be paying the same price for a new one after all the markups, I might as well get the color I like and the 1/500. Unless you think next year these things are gonna hit the market for less? I heard they are stopping production next year though so I should get one while I can.

ApexTheory

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 GR Supra 3.0 Premium MT
It's the same car with tan interior and a red badge. I wouldn't put much of a price premium on it compared to a regular MT.

If anything, we have seen more special edition MT's hit the market this year than the base spec.

mdpalmer

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 MT | 2001 DC2 Integra
Generally speaking, IMO, if you care about preserving the value of the vehicle, leave it completely stock or very close to it.

Don't tune it. Don't slam it to the ground, don't rice it out (subjective, of course), don't put a huge wing on it by drilling holes in your trunk, etc. The second you start messing with it you scare away potential buyers who are willing and able to buy an unmolested car. It may appeal to someone looking for that exact or close to it setup, in some cases, but generally not for a mature, sophisticated buyer who has the means. Taking me as an example, I'd never consider a car that was "ricefully" modded or otherwise neglected unless I was looking for a project.

Want to preserve resale? Don't drive it very often, definitely don't take it on the highway, or to the mall. Never let it out in direct sun either. Don't let anyone sit in the passgner seat. Don't admit eating (god forbid) or drinking in the car either. I mean, ever. Keep every damn record and receipt for all parts or service on the car. Have the original window sticker? What about factory manuals? Both keys? If not you get dinged.

You already made the mistake of telling everyone the bumper is f*xed with the license plate, so that immediately devalues the car. Sounds silly but I'm not kidding. So there's that.

Plus, it has a manual which a lot of the kids these days love to hate (OMG it's so slow!!), for all we know it will be "worth" LESS than a similar spec AT by the time you want to sell it. Depends on who is in the market, personally I am a manual only person I would never even consider the supra otherwise. So in the used market, I personally would pay a premium for a clean MT that was owned by a responsible individual.

Also, the way things are going these days with natural depreciation due to passage of time and economic factors, and a general lack of respect from the general public for the BMW based platform, not to mention the stigma amongst the uninformed, fan boys, or just plain dumb as f*ck people that "it will never be as good as the MKIV", among other factors unknown to us currently, I feel the MKV Supra will follow in the footsteps of the Nissan 350z and it's derivatives. It will become the next generations' street takeover weapon of mass destruction. I've heard it said before and I agree. At that point you are hosed and the car isn't worth sh*t unless it's super clean and stock. Give it another 10 years. Just a guess.

But no one knows. Who thought MKIV in poor shape would fetch the kind of money they are today.

That said, I love the platform, it really is a fun and unique car, and CUL Grey is definitely my favorite color but I am not a fan of the hazelnut interior, othwise I would have sprung for one. I personally bought a supra because I genuinely love driving and messing with the car. If it's worth something to someone else when I'm ready to pass the torch, that's great, but otherwise I'm going to enjoy it while it's mine.

Your money, your choice, if you want to mothball the car for 20 years, stop paying the insurance and registration, maybe you will make some money later but the opportunity cost of doing that could be (or may not be, again, no one knows for sure what the future holds) huge. Think of all the other ways you could use money to do something useful. Or, just think of all the fun you'd be missing out on by not driving the car.

Kichoman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra MT
When everyone is doing no front plate or relocated side plate, having it in the middle is kinda cool in that sense. You can also get a Tom’s or TRD CF frame to spice it up.

P.S. I reminded the dealer about 5 times NOT to drill the holes during PDI LOL.

OP
OP

tharris4995

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Wrangler
Generally speaking, IMO, if you care about preserving the value of the vehicle, leave it completely stock or very close to it.

Don't tune it. Don't slam it to the ground, don't rice it out (subjective, of course), don't put a huge wing on it by drilling holes in your trunk, etc. The second you start messing with it you scare away potential buyers who are willing and able to buy an unmolested car. It may appeal to someone looking for that exact or close to it setup, in some cases, but generally not for a mature, sophisticated buyer who has the means. Taking me as an example, I'd never consider a car that was "ricefully" modded or otherwise neglected unless I was looking for a project.

Want to preserve resale? Don't drive it very often, definitely don't take it on the highway, or to the mall. Never let it out in direct sun either. Don't let anyone sit in the passgner seat. Don't admit eating (god forbid) or drinking in the car either. I mean, ever. Keep every damn record and receipt for all parts or service on the car. Have the original window sticker? What about factory manuals? Both keys? If not you get dinged.

You already made the mistake of telling everyone the bumper is f*xed with the license plate, so that immediately devalues the car. Sounds silly but I'm not kidding. So there's that.

Plus, it has a manual which a lot of the kids these days love to hate (OMG it's so slow!!), for all we know it will be "worth" LESS than a similar spec AT by the time you want to sell it. Depends on who is in the market, personally I am a manual only person I would never even consider the supra otherwise. So in the used market, I personally would pay a premium for a clean MT that was owned by a responsible individual.

Also, the way things are going these days with natural depreciation due to passage of time and economic factors, and a general lack of respect from the general public for the BMW based platform, not to mention the stigma amongst the uninformed, fan boys, or just plain dumb as f*ck people that "it will never be as good as the MKIV", among other factors unknown to us currently, I feel the MKV Supra will follow in the footsteps of the Nissan 350z and it's derivatives. It will become the next generations' street takeover weapon of mass destruction. I've heard it said before and I agree. At that point you are hosed and the car isn't worth sh*t unless it's super clean and stock. Give it another 10 years. Just a guess.

But no one knows. Who thought MKIV in poor shape would fetch the kind of money they are today.

That said, I love the platform, it really is a fun and unique car, and CUL Grey is definitely my favorite color but I am not a fan of the hazelnut interior, othwise I would have sprung for one. I personally bought a supra because I genuinely love driving and messing with the car. If it's worth something to someone else when I'm ready to pass the torch, that's great, but otherwise I'm going to enjoy it while it's mine.

Your money, your choice, if you want to mothball the car for 20 years, stop paying the insurance and registration, maybe you will make some money later but the opportunity cost of doing that could be (or may not be, again, no one knows for sure what the future holds) huge. Think of all the other ways you could use money to do something useful. Or, just think of all the fun you'd be missing out on by not driving the car.
Thanks for the information. I didn’t know Supra purchasers are that picky. I’m on the fence about with this purchase… dunno what to do!

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
It's all right.

I will say the only reason I still have mine is because there isn't anything with a warranty in the same price bracket.

OP
OP

tharris4995

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Wrangler
I’ve spent all day at dealerships. My choice is pay 8+k in dealer markups and wait an indeterminate amount of time, or get the a91 manual 1/500 with low mileage for 66k, or wait till one comes on the market hoping it goes down.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
, or get the a91 manual 1/500 with low mileage
honestly as many times as you bring up the 1/1500 I think this is a great car for you…. Or a Corvette.

im kidding. If you can swing it and know you won’t have buyers remorse later then I think you should do it. Like others say don’t get caught up in the A91 limited edition thing. it only matters to the people that…. It matters too. Everyone else know it’s nothing special. Though the paint on the CU Later is special. I have one of the rarest colors made as it was unpopular, and to some Downshift Blue owners it matters, for me it was a just a cool blue and a price for a car I wasnt passing up.

if you really like the Supra, and dont mind paying the price then do it. If you know you are going to regret paying that price if you see the car later a little cheaper, (my fiancé on literally everything she buys) you may want to wait. Prices are falling for these cars whether U.S. owners like it or not. Gone are the days of selling it for more or as much as we bought it for.
Sponsored