Good value any more - UK Supra

Sunstorm

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Yaris, A90 Edition Supra
It just sounds like it's not the car for you then.

UK/EU restrictions have robbed plenty of good cars from us recently, including the GR Corolla, Z400, new WRX STI, etc. Even the cars we have had like GR86 and New Type R are limited in number :(
Sponsored

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
It just sounds like it's not the car for you then.

UK/EU restrictions have robbed plenty of good cars from us recently, including the GR Corolla, Z400, new WRX STI, etc. Even the cars we have had like GR86 and New Type R are limited in number :(
My thoughts exactly, find something else. Or just be grateful and celebrate cars like this are still available in the UK. Sad times, but even sadder times ahead.

OP
OP
Craig172

Craig172

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi TTS FinalEdition & SupraPro Special Edition
My thoughts exactly, find something else. Or just be grateful and celebrate cars like this are still available in the UK. Sad times, but even sadder times ahead.
This thread is not about whether the car is for me or not, I can decide that myself :rolleyes:, the thread was about if a new 60k 335bhp Supra was "good value any more" to which no-one has come back and said it is was! Which kinda of confirms my thoughts.

I had to cancel my special edition MT order due to getting a dog, so got the RS instead. However, thinking of changing the Mazda at end of summer, so have been reviewing the options, new vs second hand etc.

I think you can get some good second hand bargains, as values are coming down eg this 8 month old one with just 600 miles n for 11k below list Red Supra or the Yellow Supra with a similar age with 6k miles for less than 44k, which is 15k off list price maybe the way to go :)

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
To answer your question then, no I don't think the Supra is good value at nearly Ā£60k, absolutely not, you proved the point with the yellow Supra. Have to be a mug to buy new. You can be in some serious metal for Ā£60k.

However, compare it to a decent spec Golf R (2.0l 4cyl) at nearly Ā£50k, or a new well spec'd 4 cylinder Porsche Cayman S at Ā£70k and all of a sudden a Supra doesn't look bad value at all even if we didn't get more the more powerful B58 variant.

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Sunstorm, I dont want to pay nearly 60k and have to then pay Ā£1000's to mod it, invalidate the warranty, just to bring upto what already exists in other countries as factory standard, thats my whole point. Especially as the newer engine is now in UK BMW's theres no excuse.

Re the Emira, its an amazing car but too wide to fit into my garage ! Plus its around Ā£80k, whereas some 3.0 Supra Pro 21 reg's are now around 40k which can then look good value. Talking of which my first 70 plate 3.0 Pro supra bought in 2021 from a dealer, I paid just 41k and it was just 6 months old, now that was a great deal :)
100% agree with this. My issue isn't the 40-50 hp difference in the 2 port vs 6 port per se, because like others said it's easily tuneable, but, I know this seems like a unicorn opinion on this forum, but believe it or not, there are some people that actually don't want to tune at all, not even jb4/racechip.
It's purely the fact of knowing the upgraded engine IS right there next to mine on the production line, probably a few meters away in the factory in Austria, yet they refused categorically to put it in my brand new car, simply because of some bureaucratic cunt's decision.

Never the less, in summary, I personally would say Yes, it is worth it, and I am happy with it, but just can't deny the little bother about the 40i variant.

It's the same as saying you can be happily married with your mrs and it was worth it, but when you see a stunner 10 walking about, and you notice her, you'd be lying to yourself if you said there isn't always better out there; it can be worth it, and not be perfect, the two can co-exist, I think it's a tad harsh to say "it's not the car for you" perhaps?

Last edited:

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
No doubt the EU regulations suck, but every countries have something. Look at those hideous reflectors they have on the US bumpers. Terrible. Rather be down 15-20bhp (actual Dyno) and not have a cosmetics ruined. Big part of the reason we buy these cars is for the unique looks.

The OPF filters upsets me more than down a few BHP, miss a decent exhaust sound.

OP
OP
Craig172

Craig172

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
100% agree with this. My issue isn't the 40-50 hp difference in the 2 port vs 6 port per se, because like others said it's easily tuneable, but, I know this seems like a unicorn opinion on this forum, but believe it or not, there are some people that actually don't want to tune at all, not even jb4/racechip.
It's purely the fact of knowing the upgraded engine IS right there next to mine on the production line, probably a few meters away in the factory in Austria, yet they refused categorically to put it in my brand new car, simply because of some bureaucratic cunt's decision.

Never the less, in summary, I personally would say Yes, it is worth it, and I am happy with it, but just can't deny the little bother about the 40i variant.

It's the same as saying you can be happily married with your mrs and it was worth it, but when you see a stunner 10 walking about, and you notice her, you'd be lying to yourself if you said there isn't always better out there; it can be worth it, and not be perfect, the two can co-exist, I think it's a tad harsh to say "it's not the car for you" perhaps?
Good intelligent reply and good to know there are others out there with similar thoughts! Reading up more on the 6 ports it would appear these too are BHP underated on the actual dyno, so however you look at it the difference is at least 30-40bhp (10%) less.

Also other cars to add to the ones SCZ4's listed, include the Alpine and the Audi TT RS coupe 5 cylinder both can be had for 60k, tho only until the year end for the TT RS.

For me, I've had one before, so know what Im getting and I think I'll now be hunting for a revised 72 plate 3.0 Pro model in Prominence red in the next few months for less than 45k. Watch this space !

Last edited:

Ryanthetemp

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Past: E28 M5, E24 M6, E30 325is
Oh the turn tables. This is just payback for Europe getting the bmw M88 in the 80s M cars with no cats and headers while North America got only the S38 and those hideous, hideous diving board bumpers.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5

Things vary quite a bit from State to State. Which is a beautiful thang. Youā€™d make a good Floridian brother!

Is the MX5 available there @Craig172 ? At only 2300 lbs, you really donā€™t need tons of HP to have fun. Especially if you live close to some twisty roads :)

Last edited:

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Things vary quite a bit from State to State. Which is a beautiful thang. Youā€™d make a good Floridian brother! Tennessee, Texas, ā€œredā€ Stateā€˜s without income tax is a good sign your freedom is closer to that 1812 argument someone else made. California, NY, many other ā€œblueā€ States (look for the highest taxes) and you can find similar control (people who know better than you) ;)

Is the MX5 available there @Craig172 ? At only 2300 lbs, you really donā€™t need tons of HP to have fun. Especially if you live close to some twisty roads :)
šŸ˜ƒ
Yes MX5 and GR86 are available here, not very popular, you usually just see the old ones driven around by lunatic chavs with bumpers hanging off leaving a trail of rust as they drive by.

They're such a different inferior league of cars.

We also used to have the Abarth 124 spider until not long ago, discontinued ofcourse, like anything good.
That one is similar to Supra and Z4 they're essentially brother from another mother type of thing.
Plus you need to be a midget to fit in an MX5.

OP
OP
Craig172

Craig172

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Things vary quite a bit from State to State. Which is a beautiful thang. Youā€™d make a good Floridian brother!

šŸ˜ƒ
Yes MX5 and GR86 are available here, not very popular, you usually just see the old ones driven around by lunatic chavs with bumpers hanging off leaving a trail of rust as they drive by.

They're such a different inferior league of cars.

We also used to have the Abarth 124 spider until not long ago, discontinued ofcourse, like anything good.
That one is similar to Supra and Z4 they're essentially brother from another mother type of thing.
Plus you need to be a midget to fit in an MX5.
Honestly I am surprised at some of these quotes from so called car enthusiasts, SupraUK, you are so wrong factually on so many fronts. For starters "you need to be a midget to fit in an MX5", well I'm nearly 6ft and 13 stone and easily fit into the mx5, granted if your 6 ft 2+ and 20 stone you might struggle :eek:

"Yes MX5 and GR86 are available here, not very popular, you usually just see the old ones driven around by lunatic chavs with bumpers hanging off leaving a trail of rust as they drive by." - Really.. GR86 did nt even come out until 2022. Mazdas came out in the late 80's and 90's and its testament to their popularity tht many of these are still on the road in the hands of enthusiasts

The GR86 has had amazing reviews and the UK allocation was sold out within an hour or so of it being released. Many GR86 still go for over list price and are highly sought after, so much so Toyota UK have managed to secure another batch which are invites only. Likewise the MX5 is the most popular 2 seater sports car in the UK and has a huge following.

Its very light weight, around 1000kg, very nimble and can dart around the twisties like few other sports cars. The 188bhp engine sings sweet, manual gearbox and for a light car provides plenty of power. If still in doubt your find nearly all reviews for it are excellent Topgear review, Autocar. In this weeks Autocar your find a group test of an MX5, M2 coupe and Civic Type R which in itself shows its in the mix and your find the MX5 comes out joint top with the M2 and highly praised which says it all.

"They're such a different inferior league of cars." having had both a supra and and top of range mx5, the interior of an mx5 matches that of the Supra, the build quality is also excellent. see typical example MX5 GT Sport Tech

The Abarth 124 spider was discontinued as it hardly made any sales and did not make a profit for FIAT and people prefered its better looking brother the MX5.

Just because one car costs more than another, does not necessary make the lower priced car inferior, you normally get that snobby uneducated attitude from premium brands owners eg Porsche, JLR, etc not from Toyota Supra owners !! Live and let live is my motto and be happy theres such a wide range of sports cars out there to choose from.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Honestly I am surprised at some of these quotes from so called car enthusiasts, SupraUK, you are so wrong factually on so many fronts. For starters "you need to be a midget to fit in an MX5", well I'm nearly 6ft and 13 stone and easily fit into the mx5, granted if your 6 ft 2+ and 20 stone you might struggle :eek:

"Yes MX5 and GR86 are available here, not very popular, you usually just see the old ones driven around by lunatic chavs with bumpers hanging off leaving a trail of rust as they drive by." - Really.. GR86 did nt even come out until 2022. Mazdas came out in the late 80's and 90's and its testament to their popularity tht many of these are still on the road in the hands of enthusiasts

"Yes MX5 and GR86 are available here, not very popular" The GR86 has had amazing reviews and the UK allocation was sold out within an hour or so of it being released. Many GR86 still go for over list price and are highly sought after, so much so Toyota UK have managed to secure another batch which are invites only. Likewise the MX5 is the most popular 2 seater sports car in the UK and has a huge following.

Its very light weight, around 1000kg, very nimble and can dart around the twisties like few other sports cars. The 188bhp engine sings sweet, manual gearbox and for a light car provides plenty of power. If still in doubt your find nearly all reviews for it are excellent Topgear review, Autocar. In this weeks Autocar your find a group test of an MX5, M2 coupe and Civic Type R and your find the MX5 comes out joint top with the M2 and highly praised which says it all.

"They're such a different inferior league of cars." having had both a supra and and top of range mx5, the interior of an mx5 matches that of the Supra, the build quality is also excellent. see typical example MX5 GT Sport Tech

The Abarth 124 spider was discontinued as it hardly made any sales and did not make a profit for FIAT and people prefered its better looking brother the MX5.

Just because one car costs more than another, does not necessary make the lower priced car inferior, you normally get that snobby uneducated attitude from premium brands eg Porsche, JLR etc not from Toyota Supra owners !! Live and let live is my motto and be happy theres such a wide range of sprots cars out there to choose from.
Great take! Iā€™m also 6 feet tall. Glad to hear you have the MX5 available over there. I canā€™t bear to part with mine. I have a friend that mainly tracks his Porsches. However he did buy a 2019 special edition MX5. He trades those Porsches all the time. Gets board, who knowsā€¦ But still has his little MX5. It sure puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. Thatā€™s usually the benchmark for me :)

OP
OP
Craig172

Craig172

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Great take! Iā€™m glad to hear you have the MX5 available over there. I canā€™t bear to part with mine. I have a friend that mainly tracks his Porsches. However he did buy a 2019 special edition MX5. He trades those Porsches all the time. Gets board, who knowsā€¦ But still has his little MX5. It sure puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. Thatā€™s usually the benchmark for me :)
Agreed, Its a great fun car and you can have a spirited drive in it without losing your license. I personally love its agility and small size, round the country roads its hard to beat

Sunstorm

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Yaris, A90 Edition Supra
I agree good value is a personal thing and can be very hard to quantify. I've had people say I'm crazy for spending 30+ for a 2nd hand Yaris.

The Supra was worth it, when I paid 57 in 2019, knowing I'd likely modify it as my previous cars had been modified, and especially having a B58 which had been reliably tuned in other cars beforehand. But I understand not everyone is happy to modify cars.

I cannot see me wanting to swap it for anything on the horizon, the Emira was likely the last ICE sports car I will tempted by but after the test drive decided to stick with what I have. If I was in the market now and didn't already own the Supra, then it'd still be a consideration for me even now.
Sponsored