geert.bieseman

geert.bieseman

First Name
Geert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan GT-R R33 ; Toyota Supra MKV
I’ll check on the Ecutek app tomorrow for you mate RE oil pressure.

That is such bad luck on the engine shipment. Hopefully they can sort it quickly!

Suprising how much plastic there is right? I changed out the intake and boost pipes for hardline aluminium when I got my car tuned for that reason.
Thanks man :)

Yes a lot of plastic. The less weight... the better for the CO-reduction...

If all goes well, a new engine arrives tomorrow morning no later than 10AM.
Else it arrives on monday. LEt's hope this one does not get damaged.

Next week saturday... need to car for roadtrip and trackday. This is going to be so close.
Sponsored

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Blue
Somebody with ecutek that can help me out please?
I want to know what the oil pressure is of other supras on a cold engine.

logging data with ecutek during stationary and send the datalog to me.

Thanks guys

Ps: new engine that Was picked up today... parts broken off during transport. Entire block was fixed with just one strap :wtf: . So tomorrow we need to inform toyota and ask what they are going to do about it. We were so ready to put in it tomorrow (old engine is already out).
So how are you grabbing your oil pressure, old ecutek logs? Wonder if we should be running thicker oil? I don't have my 2021 yet but I'll take samples of mine throughout the life.

OP
OP
geert.bieseman

geert.bieseman

First Name
Geert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So how are you grabbing your oil pressure, old ecutek logs? Wonder if we should be running thicker oil? I don't have my 2021 yet but I'll take samples of mine throughout the life.
We have taken logs when the engine was still in it. The engine itself was still fine on 5 cylinders.
We actually took the oil pressure from reading it out with the official toyota/bmw software (we got someone who works at toyota and who got training for the supra by toyota)

But you can indeed let ECUTEK read it out. There is 'on-board' gauges available.

Well we are wondering if the specifications provided by Toyota are correct (still waiting for their reply)... but the report from the official software says the oil pressure is too low. The 0W20 is the oil that Toyota puts in the engine, so don't know if we need thicker oil.
Investigation by Toyota is still on-going

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Blue
We have taken logs when the engine was still in it. The engine itself was still fine on 5 cylinders.
We actually took the oil pressure from reading it out with the official toyota/bmw software (we got someone who works at toyota and who got training for the supra by toyota)

But you can indeed let ECUTEK read it out. There is 'on-board' gauges available.

Well we are wondering if the specifications provided by Toyota are correct (still waiting for their reply)... but the report from the official software says the oil pressure is too low. The 0W20 is the oil that Toyota puts in the engine, so don't know if we need thicker oil.
Investigation by Toyota is still on-going
Interesting - were the temps higher than stock? (I'm not an expert or anything just curious for my own knowledge)

OP
OP
geert.bieseman

geert.bieseman

First Name
Geert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Interesting - were the temps higher than stock? (I'm not an expert or anything just curious for my own knowledge)
Not higher oil temperature. First priorty now... getting an engine in there again :D

Q8_TwinTurbo

First Name
Athbi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1994 Porsche 965 Turbo 3.6, 2001 Porsche 996 Turbo, 2008 Mitsubishi Evo X
I personally always use slightly higher viscosity full synthetic oil in all my engines.
0W40 or 5W40 full synthetic oil for normal street driving & spirited runs.
10W60 full synthetic oil for track days were the engine sees high loads and high rpms.

My preferred oil brands are Liquimoly, Motul and Mobil 1.

There are other good brands, but in our country, these are available at most times.

The thinner oils used by car manufacturers on the newer engines are mainly designed and used for lower fuel consumption (better fuel economy).
To me, that is a very bad idea for a person who tracks his car and drives it like he stole it.
For example, the recommended engine oil for the Nissan R35 GTR with the VR38DETT engine is either 0W40 or 10W40 full synthetic oil. Many reputable tuning shops found out that the engine oil will contain many metallic shavings after an oil analysis has been taken. Many have switched to 10W-60 synthetic oil with great results.
Most Rally racing teams are using 10W60 engine oil as well.

just my 2cents

OP
OP
geert.bieseman

geert.bieseman

First Name
Geert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I personally always use slightly higher viscosity full synthetic oil in all my engines.
0W40 or 5W40 full synthetic oil for normal street driving & spirited runs.
10W60 full synthetic oil for track days were the engine sees high loads and high rpms.

My preferred oil brands are Liquimoly, Motul and Mobil 1.

There are other good brands, but in our country, these are available at most times.

The thinner oils used by car manufacturers on the newer engines are mainly designed and used for lower fuel consumption (better fuel economy).
To me, that is a very bad idea for a person who tracks his car and drives it like he stole it.
For example, the recommended engine oil for the Nissan R35 GTR with the VR38DETT engine is either 0W40 or 10W40 full synthetic oil. Many reputable tuning shops found out that the engine oil will contain many metallic shavings after an oil analysis has been taken. Many have switched to 10W-60 synthetic oil with great results.
Most Rally racing teams are using 10W60 engine oil as well.

just my 2cents
Thanks for the feedback.
Which oil are you using in your supra currently and how many miles are on her?

This is the oil that Toyota is recommending for the supra by the way and which is we are using (interesting article found last week):

P.S.: Out of curiosity... do you have perhaps the oil pressure values of your car (cold engine and hot engine idling)? :D

Q8_TwinTurbo

First Name
Athbi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1994 Porsche 965 Turbo 3.6, 2001 Porsche 996 Turbo, 2008 Mitsubishi Evo X
I switched to Liquimoly 5W40 after the break -in period. Have done 2 track days and street driving. The car has 9000 KM On the odometer.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Blue
Steph Papadakis mentioned which oil he used in his build but I forget when(was in his live build). He used same rings but diff pistons.

OP
OP
geert.bieseman

geert.bieseman

First Name
Geert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ass planned the engine arrived yesterday. But again... problems with the engine.

After removing the plastics;
  • there was oil leaking out
  • sand on the engine,
  • the intake and orher holes where not sealed ,
  • some dirt on the intake holes (who knows if some is inside)
XiAy3RQ.jpg

xm2KGRP.jpg

eXU7ZqI.jpg

But we have no choice to put in this engine... as I need to drive next weekend for the roadtrip and track.
On monday, we will file an official complaint at Toyota Europe. Cause in no way, you can be sure that this engine will not break in 10-20K kilometers

P.S.:
Without the plastic on, you see how they ship the engine. The bottom sits on tiny wood and the top has no support at all.
Then they just put in strap around the engine and off it goes to transport. No wonder this engines can fall during transport

8ygbEAR.jpg

On the right is my broken engine

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Blue
Ass planned the engine arrived yesterday. But again... problems with the engine.

After removing the plastics;
  • there was oil leaking out
  • sand on the engine,
  • the intake and orher holes where not sealed ,
  • some dirt on the intake holes (who knows if some is inside)
XiAy3RQ.jpg

xm2KGRP.jpg

eXU7ZqI.jpg

But we have no choice to put in this engine... as I need to drive next weekend for the roadtrip and track.
On monday, we will file an official complaint at Toyota Europe. Cause in no way, you can be sure that this engine will not break in 10-20K kilometers

P.S.:
Without the plastic on, you see how they ship the engine. The bottom sits on tiny wood and the top has no support at all.
Then they just put in strap around the engine and off it goes to transport. No wonder this engines can fall during transport

8ygbEAR.jpg

On the right is my broken engine
Jeez, that sucks. I'd prob just ask if I could pick it up at the factory

OP
OP
geert.bieseman

geert.bieseman

First Name
Geert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Jeez, that sucks. I'd prob just ask if I could pick it up at the factory
They don't allow that due to warranty.
They will also only deliver it to a Toyota dealer and nowhere else (again... warranty).

This all is getting me stressed out. As most likely... it will break down somewhere somehow.

If all goes well, we can start this winter opening up the 'old engine' and putting in forged pistons & rods

OP
OP
geert.bieseman

geert.bieseman

First Name
Geert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Got the car back since yesterday evening.
Tomorrow I will be driving with a bunch of supercars/sportcars through France and on Monday trackday.

As I have to break in the car, can't go full throttle.
Will go around 50% throttle position and till 4-5K RPM.

Will have my fun in the corners on track and not accelerating/braking hard (too bad about that 1KM straight)

Not going to abuse the car: Still not knowing what the cause is that broke the engine.