Have a look at the Prototype Supra's engine

waleed

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'15 IS 350 F-Sport, '14 Accord Coupe V6
Maybe A70 is talking about the new entry-level sports car :rolleyes:

"The engineers corrected a few other misconceptions on some other tech in the car that I cannot talk about yet too, and that was the final straw."

A70, personally are you satisfied with the rumored GRMN spec car with all the details that you know about that car so far?
Sponsored

tha7osavage

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Subaru WRX
I wonder, since the engine at Goodwood was the refined iron block motor, what would be the difference between the different trim levels for the I6? Would it soley be luxury items and stuff of that nature? I canā€™t see different trims of the I6 making more power than the base, if thereā€™s only one motor.

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
I wonder, since the engine at Goodwood was the refined iron block motor, what would be the difference between the different trim levels for the I6? Would it soley be luxury items and stuff of that nature? I canā€™t see different trims of the I6 making more power than the base, if thereā€™s only one motor.
I'm thinking the same thing, I think that the different trims would just be like a higher end GT with like leather interior etc and then a mid grade, and a base that's an I4.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
They could just do a I6 base and a I6 fully loaded, ie safety features, suspension and tires. That would be 5-7k in pricing difference but wouldn't make sense. Unless it's for the old 40 year old buyers who want a cool looking GT, the tuners would feast on the I6 base.

tha7osavage

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Subaru WRX
I'm thinking the same thing, I think that the different trims would just be like a higher end GT with like leather interior etc and then a mid grade, and a base that's an I4.
They could just do a I6 base and a I6 fully loaded, ie safety features, suspension and tires. That would be 5-7k in pricing difference but wouldn't make sense. Unless it's for the old 40 year old buyers who want a cool looking GT, the tuners would feast on the I6 base.
If thatā€™s the case, sign me up for the base haha. I donā€™t need leather and all that crap! Iā€™m more worried about performance anyways. Suspension and tires sound enticing, but those will probably get swapped with aftermarket anyways.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
The GR version will probably have different seats and wheels like other top trims such as NISMO 370z and GT350

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
a lot of good questions, but for now I'm going to leave it at that until I hear more.

the price comment was in regards to the 4cyl. he mentioned some details on that car, and then said but it will be interesting as you can get an 86 for $20k less with great handling and visceral feel too.

(as that comment places the 4cyl car roughly in the same spot it was in previously, I still believe the I6 will be ~55k as Tada told automotive media last year in a few closed door meetings I was privy to at the time. The issue is that pricing ends up being a far more convoluted affair than engineer commentary. Ipso facto, that's what the car is supposed to cost according to Tada lol.)

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
a lot of good questions, but for now I'm going to leave it at that until I hear more.

the price comment was in regards to the 4cyl. he mentioned some details on that car, and then said but it will be interesting as you can get an 86 for $20k less with great handling and visceral feel too.
Will the 86 be getting the BMW 4 cylinder option? It hinted at it on the leaked BMW spec sheet and I would gladly consider that car with the BMW B48 over the FA20

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Maybe A70 is talking about the new entry-level sports car :rolleyes:

"The engineers corrected a few other misconceptions on some other tech in the car that I cannot talk about yet too, and that was the final straw."

A70, personally are you satisfied with the rumored GRMN spec car with all the details that you know about that car so far?
GR is very secretive on projects, but I have gained more access to this by working on two cars they are technically co-developing with us.

That said, from what I do know, the one car I have been told about is very cool on paper, but I have no idea what it will cost and when it will be released.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Okay,

Can we get a 2nd gen 86 with some changes so people would buy the 86 cause it is cheaper and while not the same car, won't feel like they have to shell out big bucks unless they want that leisure?

86 is still a fun car all around.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Will the 86 be getting the BMW 4 cylinder option? It hinted at it on the leaked BMW spec sheet and I would gladly consider that car with the BMW B48 over the FA20
I didn't interpret it that way personally, but if something like that was on the table then I haven't heard about it and it would have to be the next gen 86 whenever that ends up happening (if it does).

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I didn't interpret it that way personally, but if something like that was on the table then I haven't heard about it and it would have to be the next gen 86 whenever that ends up happening (if it does).
What do you make of "GT86" to be included where is says "Supra (GT86: J29)"

supra-1531836479.jpg

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Although I agree with you, Normally when the car is roped off like that it means that it wasn't suppose to be open at all! this is why theirs only one vid with the hood opened. This dude probably wasn't even suppose to do that, he doesn't seem to have been a GR staff either. If the car wasn't suppose to have it's interior or engine or trunk displayed. Then there's no incentive to put a crazy eleborate nice cover. Remember they were suppose to drive the car at Goodwood. Ain't no event coordinator going to keep a detailing crew by, to dress the engine if it's being driven ever so often(IE see the dust)

Give em a break would ya?
Listen, I'm not here to argue with anyone...nor am I here to force my opinion on anyone. However, do you truly believe that the engine cover used on the MKV Supra that we all recently saw is just a mock-up or a prototype dressing? I don't think so...I believe it is very much the production cover minus a few painted embossed items like the Toyota logo and lettering. If Toyota barely dressed up the Lexus IS300's inline 6 or the LS500's V6TT with that god-awful plastic cover, what makes you believe they will do any better for their Toyota Supra? The engine bay of the Goodwood car looks 99% production ready. There isn't anything in that bay that screams "prototype" or "pre-production." Everything fits nice and tidy in there, and is laid out like a production car. My point is, the info that A70TTR is providing (which we can all agree is greatly appreciated) may be given to him in different context. For example, "the engineers definitely said that the cover will be different" could mean that the cover may not be entire black unpainted plastic...it may mean it will be painted the same color as the car. That's it! Nothing else, just the difference of the cover being unpainted vs. painted. What I'm saying is, can we expect to see something more drastic like cool valve covers and coil pack cover? Something like the R34 GT-R's inline 6 where it had nicely painted covers.

I believe that these "out of context" hints are simply fuel to feed the hype even more...and Toyota knows it. They are building the hype to get people to wait even longer on the next car purchase so as to make a grand introduction with many people watching. I feel like we are seeing the 350Z introduction all over again. Over-hyped, and under-delivered.