Have a look at the Prototype Supra's engine

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Everyone is so hopeful of this car, when everyone is forgetting that the whole point of the collaboration was to SAVE MONEY and COST CUTTING! There isn’t going to a GRMN with a super-duper engine. The GRMN will be the equivalent of a TRD packaged whatever here in the states. You know, little blingy exhaust tips, diffusers, and decals. Making a fancy motor for just the GRMN is just crazy if you think about it, considering the car is designed around a strategy of “build it as cheap as possible for maximum profits.” There is no secret PR stunt, or a shocking surprise awaiting....this is it, what you saw at Goodwood and the engine everyone saw is it. Rumors of a higher-end motor (if it exists) will only be for racing divisions, not production.

Where the f**k is Doc Brown, I seriously need to go back to 1994 for some real cars.
Cost cutting is one way to interpret a collaboration. But in this case, I believe they are collaborating to utilize the strengths of the other company. Toyota needs an engine and BMW needs hybrid tech. Judging by the hyper-aggressive automotive market right now, these two companies are also willing to spend big to release exciting cars. Even Alfa Romeo is back in the states selling cars and both Kia and Hyundai have several exciting vehicles out now, showing how these could all be expensive mistakes if the risks do not pay off. If these companies know the money is there, you bet Toyota and BMW and going to try to get their piece of the pie.
This is why I do not believe this is like the Subaru/Toyota project which was to make an affordable fun car during a global depression.
Sponsored

Last edited:

aeronSUPRAco

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra(soon)
Cost cutting is one way to interpret a collaboration. But in this case, I believe they are collaborating to utilize the strengths of the other company. Toyota needs an engine and BMW needs hybrid tech. Judging by the hyper-aggressive automotive market right now, these two companies are also willing to spend big to release exciting cars. Even Alfa Romeo is back in the states selling cars and both Kia and Hyundai have several exciting vehicles out now, showing how these could all be expensive mistakes if the risks do not pay off. If these companies know the money is there, you bet Toyota and BMW and going to try to get their piece of the pie.
This is why I do not believe this is like the Subaru/Toyota project which was to make an affordable fun car during a global depression.
I have faith in Toyota and BMW that this collaboration will not be a slap-in-your-face experience, just like the Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ that are almost the same; from engine, to design(except for bumpers, seat stitching, plastic on the dash, etc.), suspension, engineering, and the likes. The new Toyota Supra and BMW Z4 will be made with different goals and targets. The BMW Z4 would be for targeted ar luxury roadster shoppers, while the Toyota Supra will be for those looking for a pure sports car, with enough power to grunt, superb handling, particularly those previous owners, and fans around the world, as well as those wanting a turbo 86. This is it! We have seen many similarities among the 2; but we don’t have much information yet on what Toyota has contributed to the car aside from funds, and design. I believe Toyota will not just be getting everything from BMW parts bin. They are most likely to modify these stuff one way or the other and have it their way.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
As I've said earlier. either Toyota is afraid of what they are making by not releasing specs to delay disappointment, or they are still working on items that they hope gets completed on time so they can say, YES! We've made the ultimate vehicle at this price point and wow the public and tuners

Leeky

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GT86 SemiAuto, Mercedes-Benz ML55, Toyota Aygo X-Press X-Drive
Vehicle Showcase
The GRMN will be the equivalent of a TRD package
I totally agree :)

I expect the regular 6-cyl Supra and the GRMN to share what is essential the exact same engine. Probably a little extra power though as the yaris grmn/86 grmn had more power than normal.

Historically the Supra always had a hand me down engine from the big Toyota saloons. But as the GRMN is not having a Lexus V6 (as far as we know) its not profitable to build an all new bespoke engine for a single model.

86’s FA20 was only possibly as Subaru already had the new FB engine and Toyota did the headwork to make it a decent NA version of it.

If the regular Supra gets a straight B58 then at most I think the GRMN would get the same S58 that BMW are already working on for the next generation of M cars. Maybe Toyota have had input on the development of the S58 and perhaps the S58 has the Iron Block we’ve heard of?

Either way financially it makes no sense for Toyota to make their own straight 6 when they can help BMW improve something that already exists then borrow it for their own car.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

I expect the regular 6-cyl Supra and the GRMN to share what is essential the exact same engine. Probably a little extra power though as the yaris grmn/86 grmn had more power than normal.

Historically the Supra always had a hand me down engine from the big Toyota saloons. But as the GRMN is not having a Lexus V6 (as far as we know) its not profitable to build an all new bespoke engine for a single model.

86’s FA20 was only possibly as Subaru already had the new FB engine and Toyota did the headwork to make it a decent NA version of it.

If the regular Supra gets a straight B58 then at most I think the GRMN would get the same S58 that BMW are already working on for the next generation of M cars. Maybe Toyota have had input on the development of the S58 and perhaps the S58 has the Iron Block we’ve heard of?

Either way financially it makes no sense for Toyota to make their own straight 6 when they can help BMW improve something that already exists then borrow it for their own car.
Wow, wouldn't that mean Bmw's incoming M lineup will be BEEFY if they used the I6 engine helped by Toyota to add even more power and be a car that won't drop off the face of the earth with electrical gremlins? Maybe there's more to the partnership that we don't know.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I have faith in Toyota and BMW that this collaboration will not be a slap-in-your-face experience, just like the Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ that are almost the same; from engine, to design(except for bumpers, seat stitching, plastic on the dash, etc.), suspension, engineering, and the likes. The new Toyota Supra and BMW Z4 will be made with different goals and targets. The BMW Z4 would be for targeted ar luxury roadster shoppers, while the Toyota Supra will be for those looking for a pure sports car, with enough power to grunt, superb handling, particularly those previous owners, and fans around the world, as well as those wanting a turbo 86. This is it! We have seen many similarities among the 2; but we don’t have much information yet on what Toyota has contributed to the car aside from funds, and design. I believe Toyota will not just be getting everything from BMW parts bin. They are most likely to modify these stuff one way or the other and have it their way.
I agree this definitely wont be the same case as the 86/brz sharing damn near everything to make an affordable sports car since neither Z4 or the Supra has even been considered affordable. I think both companies realized it is easier, cheaper, and all around better to bring in experts on their pitfalls than to R&D what the other company already knows.

To be fair, we do not know what BMW has contributed entirely either. Just because it is based off bmw motor(s), the A90 has quickly been thrown under the bus as a Z4 even though Toyota has had this project in mind since 2012.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase

Yep! I wish and pray for the V6 TT out of the LS500 with beefed up internals. It would be a GREAT motor for the MKV Supra! The GTR switched to the V6 without anyone complaining....Toyota should do the same. I think everyone is stuck on the inline 6 aspect of things, but there are crap inline 6's everywhere.

Anyhow, I'm honestly just here for the ride....to see what Toyota ends up with. I have already decided on a used Porsche 997 TT, so any new Supra news will just be background noise for me.

Leeky

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GT86 SemiAuto, Mercedes-Benz ML55, Toyota Aygo X-Press X-Drive
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, wouldn't that mean Bmw's incoming M lineup will be BEEFY if they used the I6 engine helped by Toyota to add even more power and be a car that won't drop off the face of the earth with electrical gremlins? Maybe there's more to the partnership that we don't know.
The M cars are pushing big numbers these days. If they want to push those numbers even higher it would make sense for BMW to get help designing/building their S58 with the company behind the legendary 2JZ.

aeronSUPRAco

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra(soon)
As I've said earlier. either Toyota is afraid of what they are making by not releasing specs to delay disappointment, or they are still working on items that they hope gets completed on time so they can say, YES! We've made the ultimate vehicle at this price point and wow the public and tuners
Tada already mentioned earlier that Toyota is still working on the Supra, that’s why they still test it at the Nürburgring. Toyota wants it to be more mobile. They have only given hints. Confirmation on what parts will be used, whether it’s just a copy and paste from BMW, availability, are still vague. I heard Toyota developed a differential system for the new Supra. I believe rhey’re now on the final stages of testing. By the time the Supra show up again somewhere, Toyota will be able to answer all our questions.

Obviously, Toyota isn’t ready to reveal the car just yet. That’s why they only give us limited infos in the mean time. When it’s ready, for sure they will let everything out. Remember that they are making a new version of a legendary car. It’s not just an ordinary car. So they just want to be extra careful before they actually sell it to the public. When they do, they will put smiles in our faces again(and again). It will be worh the wait.

Last edited:

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I am not against BMW parts since I think BMW has a rich history of making performance cars first. unfortunately, it was at the expense of having it over a long time without doing due diligence that it wouldn't fall apart.

But if the new engine is actually the S58 developed and engineered by Toyota, I feel there's going to be a crazed for this engine. while I doubt this engine would be used in the rest of the M lineup since Toyota would like some revenue for working on the engine, it would perhaps start a trend of improving BMW's work process that they spend equal amounts of time on QC as they do on R&D

Mike Myers

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB E350e, MB V250, (no longer: BMW 430D xDrive)
Also I know its silly but if you are driving a BMW in th UK nobody will let you out of traffic/junctions because they hate you for what you are driving. I experienced this in my own BMW. Its just the way it is. I don’t let BMW drivers out either lol
Sorry, but this is childish and stupid :banghead: :doh:

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
may I ask, what did you think we would be getting in terms of looks? is the appearance the main thing that has swayed you?

have your insiders given you any clues to hint that the goodwood car doesn't have the top-spec, CGI block engine?
Finally heard back a few mins ago when I was away from a computer, but the engine in the Goodwood car is indeed the iron block engine refined by Toyota and ex-Yamaha powertrain engineers.

It was also stressed that trims and aesthetics are not yet finalized.

And there was something else, but I'll have to go back through later to see if I can find it; something about the 4cyl.

(Remember though, that my information is not to be relied upon in any way and is worthless)

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Finally heard back a few mins ago when I was away from a computer, but the engine in the Goodwood car is indeed the iron block engine refined by Toyota and ex-Yamaha powertrain engineers.
If this is in fact true, whoever decided on the cheap-O-engine cover should be tied up and beaten' with a potato sack full of soap bars...lol.

Dress the "better engine" up a little would ya?? Again, another reason the 2JZ-GTE was so great, it had the cool looking coil-pack and valve covers.