Have a look at the Prototype Supra's engine

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
I wonder if this is why it took them so long? How long dis it took for the subaru fa20 to be ready
Modal you know as well as we do bud, we read the same thing (I'm not trying to sound condescending or anything like that don't get me wrong) but let's talk about it. Remember they took 2 years just to get over design philosophies and language barriers we don't even know how many designs got scrapped.

With Subaru it was a Japanese and Japanese, that and don't forget Toyota had more say in the matter with Subaru back then (2008-2010) Toyota owned part of the Subaru company. Then Toyota only owned 8% of Subaru but Tada San already showed them the prototype using a torn out Legacy chassis with toyota rwd parts for most of the internals and then they agreed to work together. Afterward Toyota ownership became 16.5% it might not seem like a lot in percentage but look at it in monetary terms. Going from this recent expansion Toyota owning 8.7 % to 16.5% that was $311 million(31.1 billion yen) right after this purchase it was announced publicly that Subaru and Toyota will work together on a RWD sports car.

This during the time the parent company Fuji Heavy industry wasn't doing well (they're called Subaru now).

Now let's think about this, if I was Toyota I just paid you (Subaru) $31.1 billion, you're going to work on a car with me(because let's face it you need me) But to BMW who is like we don't need you but we think this idea is cool let's work together. But we all read the same stories over the years.

I understand why it takes a long time.It's a collaboration.
Sponsored

Last edited:

EDub

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Mark II
That's what I don't get....why would you want a less prestigious branded car that is the same as a prestigious brand car, that costs the same if not more than the prestigious brand car???? It's like someone saying, "I'll take the Toyota LandCruiser for $100K over the $100k Lexus LX570, because Toyota baby!" Makes no sense at all.
I'd definitely take the Landcruiser over the 570. For one it is better looking, secondly it doesn't have the super low bodywork.

I'd take the supra for one because I like Toyota and I don't want a convertible.

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
I agree itā€™s not always the badge, but in the example above, the LandCruiser and LX570 are identical cars with the same aftermarket support....they are IDENTICAL cars, so your point is sort of moot. You would still buy the $100k LandCruiser over the $100k IDENTICAL (same exact capabilities and more, yet more prestigious named) Lexus LX570??

I think your still stuck in this limbo of thinking this new Supra is a Toyota....when itā€™s not. I used the example of a M2 because itā€™s a BMW with (probably) same hardware. So, to you just because itā€™s a BMW with a Toyota badge, costing the same as a BMW, that automatically makes the Supra a completely different car?? Bravo Toyota, youā€™ve discovered your target market.
Ok bud, but I think you're stuck on the cars being Identical, but they aren't...even if they are the same price they aren't identical. The LX570 is more luxurious than the Land cruiser, but the Land cruiser has it's own style and merits. If we're talking real number Land cruisers still cost alittle less than the LX570 anyways that's not the point.

also....what everyone has been trying to say is, it doesn't matter about the BMW parts or what not. Price or badge etc. It's the looks and how the car makes you feel. People might not want a convertible, they might hate kidney grills. They're probably different features or even warranty etc. at the end of the day it's my money and I spend it however I want. Just like you.
I mean how is this any different from people buying the 86 over the BRZ and vice versa.

Btw I found it interesting that if you used Toyota's compare a car tool. it actually shows some features that differentiates it from it's Lexus counter part.

Learned something new today

https://www.buyatoyota.com/home/compare/18-landcruiser-lexuslx.page

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
That's what I don't get....why would you want a less prestigious branded car that is the same as a prestigious brand car, that costs the same if not more than the prestigious brand car???? It's like someone saying, "I'll take the Toyota LandCruiser for $100K over the $100k Lexus LX570, because Toyota baby!" Makes no sense at all.
Because some people don't care about the badge?

I agree itā€™s not always the badge, but in the example above, the LandCruiser and LX570 are identical cars with the same aftermarket support....they are IDENTICAL cars, so your point is sort of moot. You would still buy the $100k LandCruiser over the $100k IDENTICAL (same exact capabilities and more, yet more prestigious named) Lexus LX570??
Extremely similar, not identical. LX has a hydraulic suspension and tows less than the cruiser.

Also, a lot of Cruiser buyers are extremely wealthy ppl who prefer to be low key. Just saying.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Because some people don't care about the badge?

Extremely similar, not identical. LX has a hydraulic suspension and tows less than the cruiser.

Also, a lot of Cruiser buyers are extremely wealthy ppl who prefer to be low key. Just saying.
Itā€™s the same f**kā€™n car! If anything, the Lexus version shits twice on its little sibling. Btw, any ā€œflareā€ the LX has can be taken off and put on a LandCruiser....same goes with the aftermarket. So all the ā€œLC has better approach angleā€ BS can stop. Itā€™s the same drivetrain, chassis, suspension (fully loaded LC), and the Lexus comes with more luxuries.

For those who donā€™t know, LandCruisers are only priced the way they are because they are imported in extremely limited quantities and generally in one trim. Unlike the rest of the word, where they are like Camryā€™s all over the streets. I know, because my dad owned three in various countries. Those who buy them here arenā€™t doing so to keep ā€œlow key.ā€ Actually, quite the opposite, they buy them to show everyone ā€œhey look, i got more money than brains....I bought a $100k Toyota because I can.ā€

To each his own, I donā€™t disagree with that....I guess Iā€™m more of the ā€œbetter get what I paid forā€ kind of buyer.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Modal you know as well as we do bud, we read the same thing (I'm not trying to sound condescending or anything like that don't get me wrong) but let's talk about it. Remember they took 2 years just to get over design philosophies and language barriers we don't even know how many designs got scrapped.

With Subaru it was a Japanese and Japanese, that and don't forget Toyota had more say in the matter with Subaru back then (2008-2010) Toyota owned part of the Subaru company. Then Toyota only owned 8% of Subaru but Tada San already showed them the prototype using a torn out Legacy chassis with toyota rwd parts for most of the internals and then they agreed to work together. Afterward Toyota ownership became 16.5% it might not seem like a lot in percentage but look at it in monetary terms. Going from this recent expansion Toyota owning 8.7 % to 16.5% that was $311 million(31.1 billion yen) right after this purchase it was announced publicly that Subaru and Toyota will work together on a RWD sports car.

This during the time the parent company Fuji Heavy industry wasn't doing well (they're called Subaru now).

Now let's think about this, if I was Toyota I just paid you (Subaru) $31.1 billion, you're going to work on a car with me(because let's face it you need me) But to BMW who is like we don't need you but we think this idea is cool let's work together. But we all read the same stories over the years.

I understand why it takes a long time.It's a collaboration.
I was doing it as a frame of reference

We have two companies, jap and jap.

Now we have jap and german.

One just shared parts, the other appears to be working from complete scratch and thinking how long a development cycle would be if a new i6 engine was done by toyota?

It was poorly phrased but hope you get what I mean now to understand the long wait

mnpunk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 GT350, 2014 FRS, 2014 GTR, 02 M3
This is probably the sleep talking (2 AM) but from a manufacturing perspective, could it be that the engine in the prototype was a CGI B58?

Don't LS blocks come in aluminum as well as iron? I always thought the costs for modifying tooling would be huge but by sticking to B58 architecture, maybe it's still cheaper than a whole new engine?

EDub

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Mark II
They're expensive because they're taxed heavily being built offshore, they are way over built (designed for a 25yr service life) and because they only come in one fully loaded trim.

The LC does have better approach angle and etc. The bumpers are 3-4 inches higher then the LX570. The forward part of the interior is completely different between the two. One is quite flashy vs the other one is quite reserved and people up here generally buy the LC because they want the capability of the 200 series without the flashyness.

Almost none of the flare from the LX570 can be removed and put onto an LC. The body panels are different so you can just install the tacky body kit, the dash is different. Seats are different, I guess those could be swapped however. But that's why one of them is 80k and the other is 95k.

Unfortunately for us in Canada they haven't sold the Landcruiser variant since the 60 series. The rich of Vancouver love LX570's.

OP
OP

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
This is probably the sleep talking (2 AM) but from a manufacturing perspective, could it be that the engine in the prototype was a CGI B58?

Don't LS blocks come in aluminum as well as iron? I always thought the costs for modifying tooling would be huge but by sticking to B58 architecture, maybe it's still cheaper than a whole new engine?
absolutely, but A70 had received insider info that the iron block was not actually based on the B58 architechture, but something else.

But you are right - whatever the engine source, from both a vehicle systems integration perspective, or manufacturing perspective, it makes sense to have all accessories and ancillaries common, so just the engine block/head/intake/exhaust are swapped over.

This would certainly make sense if two versions of an inline six were offered - and save on costs and vehicle systems codification etc.

tha7osavage

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Subaru WRX
I wasnā€™t aware that they were planning on showing the engine at Goodwood. Toyota had to have known that people would have recognized the motor right away as a B58. Asides from what A70 has told us, has Tada or anybody officially announced that the Supra would be based on the B58? Not saying A70 is wrong, but it seems that even he has been left in the dark when it comes to this new motor. Itā€™ll truly be amazing if they can pull this off, and announce this new motor thatā€™s so shrouded in secrecy. Seems unlikely, but itā€™d be one hell of a way to rejuvenate an already fatigued fan base who have been waiting YEARS for this car to come to fruition.

I donā€™t want to set my expectations too high, especially considering all the info A70 has given us, but who the hell knows whatā€™ll happen.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

boodjohn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW

They are not "extremely similar." They are identical with a few different touches to sway their intended market to their group.

GT-Four

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Celica
As far as I was told, the new engine is based on the B58 with the necessary changes made to it. I would assume the engine shown in this prototype is the new engine.

BRZer86

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Jaguar XJL Portfolio
Itā€™s the same f**kā€™n car! If anything, the Lexus version shits twice on its little sibling. Btw, any ā€œflareā€ the LX has can be taken off and put on a LandCruiser....same goes with the aftermarket. So all the ā€œLC has better approach angleā€ BS can stop. Itā€™s the same drivetrain, chassis, suspension (fully loaded LC), and the Lexus comes with more luxuries.

For those who donā€™t know, LandCruisers are only priced the way they are because they are imported in extremely limited quantities and generally in one trim. Unlike the rest of the word, where they are like Camryā€™s all over the streets. I know, because my dad owned three in various countries. Those who buy them here arenā€™t doing so to keep ā€œlow key.ā€ Actually, quite the opposite, they buy them to show everyone ā€œhey look, i got more money than brains....I bought a $100k Toyota because I can.ā€

To each his own, I donā€™t disagree with that....I guess Iā€™m more of the ā€œbetter get what I paid forā€ kind of buyer.

Remember when the previous two generations of the Tahoe - Yukon - Escalade all had the same exact fenders, quarter panels, doors, and interior components? As much as theyā€™re the same car, it never impacted their sales figures. Even the current generation has slightly less similarities, because GM knew the American consumer isnā€™t going to dictate a 15% premium for the varying headlight and grille.

At the end of the day, the badge plays, and it plays rigiuorusly in the USDMarket.
Sponsored