Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Oh I agree, without reading the post I replied to then my comment won't make sense. Even at the price of the $35k its a tough sell with 250hp automatic. The mustang has 320hp (correct me if i am wrong) and with a 6 speed manual for less than $30k. The price savings alone is enough to hit a few crowds and still come out on top
But at the same time, AWD market looks like it could use some love
Sponsored

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Toyota's latest engines are going in a similar direction from a wiring harness point of view (V35A, A25A, M20A, etc.), very BMW-ish compared to past engines.

Jeff
Yeah, sadly I guess it comes with the territory since nowadays there's as much wiring as there is actual engine lol.
Guff....i think now is an appropriate time for me to say, "told ya so." :D

There isn't a single part in that engine bay that is made by Toyota....not even a damn washer. Everything has BMW written all over it....it is a Z4, no; and, if, or but's about it. The motor is on a slant, so we can put that to rest. The cover is (as expected) a cheap plastic, and not a nicely painted one like the 2JZ-GTE (RIP).

Surprised no one has asked, "where the f**k will a 6266 snail fit on the exhaust side of that bay???"
Wait, were we expecting the engine bay to not have BMW stamped on it? BMW is manufacturing it, of course it will have BMW stamped all across it. It will have a BMW style VIN, it will have Magna and BMW stickers, stamps, etc, all over it. Most of the accessory parts will be BMW parts bin, the various sensors will be BMW, etc etc. That's how manufacturing works. Why would they add cost and complexity to the supply line just to not have BMW stickers on it?

Is the car a Z4? No, it's still the same new "29" platform developed by BMW and Toyota. That hasn't changed. I'm not sure why this is so difficult to understand? There was no Z4 until Toyota and BMW started working on it. Both of the cars were created at the same time, by the same people.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Is the car a Z4? No, it's still the same new "29" platform developed by BMW and Toyota. That hasn't changed. I'm not sure why this is so difficult to understand? There was no Z4 until Toyota and BMW started working on it. Both of the cars were created at the same time, by the same people.
Well, let me put it this way then....what makes the J29 so different from the G29? Don't even think about saying "one is a hardtop and one is a convertible."

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Well, let me put it this way then....what makes the J29 so different from the G29? Don't even think about saying "one is a hardtop and one is a convertible."
See that's the right question! And I have no idea what the answer is yet. That I am very patiently waiting to find out. Either way though, we have a "Zupra". No matter what the outcome is, both BMW and Toyota are equally responsible for it, good car(s) or bad.

CantEven_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Cayman GT4
uhhhh this is so annoying lol

I got rid of the GT4 cause the payments though affordable just didn't fit my needs for the near future (family starting). So I opted to get rid of the payment, drive around in a nice daily (2018 V6 Camry) while I save up some money for a cheaper but still fun sports car while keeping a nice daily. So as of right now I am without a sports car (first time in forever!) and figure i could wait until the beginning of the year / next summer to make up my mind on which sports car I am getting.

Top of the list (if rumors true)...A90 Supra. I am the type of person as well that will want the highest trim engine / performance model so I would be very bummed to learn upon official announcement that the actual iron block engine that is getting everyone excited won't be released at the same time and would be released another year or so down the road. I am getting too antsy to wait yet another year to buy my replacement sports car!!

I am truly hoping when they said "later cycle" that they mean it will be announced later this year as the top tier trim that will be released this upcoming spring/summer. If its not for another year or so I think I am going to opt out and either pick myself up a M2C (manual) or another GTR

sooooooo A70......I'm going to need to you make some threats and get us a timeline on when the iron block engine is coming out heh.

JK....I appreciate all the info you've already given us. Just first world problems at this point on my end

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I just wonder if this engine toyota played with, not the new engine mind you, but this b58 variant got zip and can fly as evidenced at goodwood

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
different front end, rear end, interior, roof, suspension/ECU tuning, at least one of the engines, and probably more.

IDENTIKURU!!!
Prove it. Right....all speculations at this point. So, please don't get offended when I say, actions speak louder than words. To me DIFFERENT should mean that a Toyota Supra should get a Toyota rear end, and BMW Z4 should get a BMW rear end. I guess, my definition of DIFFERENT may not align with yours. If all we are getting with a upper trim model is a M2 Competition package with Toyota badging at the same price as an M2C? Then count me out...

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Prove it. Right....all speculations at this point. So, please don't get offended when I say, actions speak louder than words. To me DIFFERENT should mean that a Toyota Supra should get a Toyota rear end, and BMW Z4 should get a BMW rear end. I guess, my definition of DIFFERENT may not align with yours. If all we are getting with a upper trim model is a M2 Competition package with Toyota badging at the same price as an M2C? Then count me out...
Guess we have to wait for the official reveal where Toyota will have the floor and the crowd'z/automotive world's attention. It is absurd how long it has been and how little concrete details are available

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
Actually... I'm in if it's a M2 competition in that new Body A90 body likely weighing less Totally in take my 63k.
400hp/3300lbs

Sounds good Y'all toyota badge it and sell me that shi! I don't care if it says BMW all over the place

CantEven_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Cayman GT4
I asked more about it today, and their response to some of the questions was "if we answer all of these, then where will we get entertainment."

My response: :bs:
I would imagine I am not the only person in the market for a new sports car and debating between multiple cars / paths......so lets just respond to them saying they can still be entertained by the mirrors threads, interior threads, exterior rendering thread etc. etc.

but lets answer the "what trim, or where is the iron block engine....and will it be available at launch" question. I mean my other two options are available now so not a lot is stopping me from pulling the trigger on those other two cars....but a confirmation of engines and timelines......maybe....just maybe heh

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
different front end, rear end, interior, roof, suspension/ECU tuning, at least one of the engines, and probably more.

IDENTIKURU!!!
Will the A90 have more than one I6 engine? Not referring to the tune, the Turbo, Exhaust or intake. Strictly referring to the long block.
Sponsored