Have a look at the Prototype Supra's engine

Leeky

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GT86 SemiAuto, Mercedes-Benz ML55, Toyota Aygo X-Press X-Drive
Vehicle Showcase
Which is why Toyota may decide to do a revamped 86 to address that market tier instead. I can't see them selling any variant of the Supra at $34k in the US, they'd be losing money on every sale. Happy to be proven wrong though.
I dont think they will loose money if they brought a 4cyl to the US. But yes lets come back to this thread in two years time and see who was right :) lol

But from the UK interviews it doesn't sound like the 4 cylinder will be sold world wide.
I agree. I suspect it’ll be a European only model. It would need to be a big seller to warrent US/Asia sales.
Sponsored

Last edited:

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
I agree. I suspect it’ll be a European only model. It would need to be a big seller to warrent US/Asia sales.
I think there is a good chance of it coming to Japan as well. The NA did outsold its Turbo counterpart in that market. Plus, don't they have some kind of displacement tax? Or is that Europe?

A80 Japan
GE 17,507
GTE- 14,060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
I hope reliability is up to our standards with these engine components under the Toyota logo. I can imagine in over 10 years if a part goes bad, you'd have to buy the replacement part from BMW -- which may be expensive... :/

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Guff....i think now is an appropriate time for me to say, "told ya so." :D

There isn't a single part in that engine bay that is made by Toyota....not even a damn washer. Everything has BMW written all over it....it is a Z4, no; and, if, or but's about it. The motor is on a slant, so we can put that to rest. The cover is (as expected) a cheap plastic, and not a nicely painted one like the 2JZ-GTE (RIP).

Surprised no one has asked, "where the f**k will a 6266 snail fit on the exhaust side of that bay???"

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Guff....i think now is an appropriate time for me to say, "told ya so." :D

There isn't a single part in that engine bay that is made by Toyota....not even a damn washer. Everything has BMW written all over it....it is a Z4, no; and, if, or but's about it. The motor is on a slant, so we can put that to rest. The cover is (as expected) a cheap plastic, and not a nicely painted one like the 2JZ-GTE (RIP).

Surprised no one has asked, "where the f**k will a 6266 snail fit on the exhaust side of that bay???"
Yeah they grabbed a lot of bmw parts off the shelf but you know this isn't the official production version right? Claiming that not even a washer is Toyota is a stretch

Mike Myers

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB E350e, MB V250, (no longer: BMW 430D xDrive)
I hope reliability is up to our standards with these engine components under the Toyota logo. I can imagine in over 10 years if a part goes bad, you'd have to buy the replacement part from BMW -- which may be expensive... :/
Depends on the country/region. In Germany - for example - spare parts for Japanese or Korean cars are often more expensive than those for BMWs.

Mike Myers

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB E350e, MB V250, (no longer: BMW 430D xDrive)
Whenever I would like to speculate on prices for upcoming Supra / Z4 I refer to the last Z4 price list. As you can see the most expensive Z4 with DCT was about 48,600 € without tax. The biggest 4 cylinder just 9,500 € lower (with AT).

I think the new Z4 will be a few bucks more, but still under 50.000 (w/o tax). I believe that the Supra will be only a little bit cheaper.

So my guess is

40k € / $47k / £36k for 4cylinder Supra
50k € / $59k / £45k for 6cylinder Supra

(All without taxes).

65514DC9-E4B3-454B-9E3F-CDE2DAE88154.png

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Even if it a Celica, then no one will buy the 86 if your price points stand. You get a car with a 50 more hp and tun-ability for only $3k more.

Edit: this is a hyperbolic statement, the 86 will still sell but why release another similar car as a direct competitor
Celica should at least be +$10K than the 86

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Exaclty, thats why I said..

You can’t have the Celica and the 86... they are too similar. Kill off the 86 and replace it with a new Celica.

But this built in Austria should help the
Then Toyota would be missing an entry level RWD, they would just have an AWD Sports car if they kill the 86

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Celica should at least be +$10K than the 86
Oh I agree, without reading the post I replied to then my comment won't make sense. Even at the price of the $35k its a tough sell with 250hp automatic. The mustang has 320hp (correct me if i am wrong) and with a 6 speed manual for less than $30k. The price savings alone is enough to hit a few crowds and still come out on top