Featured Have a look at the Prototype Supra's engine

Discussion in 'B58 6-Cyl Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Bolt-Ons' started by MA617M, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Jeff Lange

Jeff Lange Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Car(s):
    AE86, GSE21
    Liked:
    Engineering Student
    Toyota's latest engines are going in a similar direction from a wiring harness point of view (V35A, A25A, M20A, etc.), very BMW-ish compared to past engines.

Jeff

MLG Tofu Shop, Guff and A70TTR like this.
  2. bogglo

bogglo Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Lexus GS
    Liked:
    Hahahhaha. good one.

6 months "suspension Tune In"

Spilner likes this.
  3. aeronSUPRAco

aeronSUPRAco Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    A90 Supra(soon)
    Liked:
    Businessman
    It’s not exactly a BMW B58 engine. Just around 90%:mad: BMW stamp, BMW stuff, Germany marking spotted. Prepare to see more and more BMW. After all, this Supra is made by BMW, and they will make it the Ultimate Driving Machine.:drive:

4. Spilner

Spilner Well-Known Member

First Name:
    earl
    Car(s):
    none
    Liked:
    The BJZ(Patent pending) is still in development....Hopefully more than halfway done

5. waleed

waleed Active Member

Car(s):
    '15 IS 350 F-Sport, '14 Accord Coupe V6
    Liked:
    Engineer
    This whole time I thought the A90 had a front-hinged hood like the Viper :doh:

6. Leeky

Leeky Active Member

Car(s):
    Toyota GT86 SemiAuto, Mercedes-Benz ML55, Toyota Aygo X-Press X-Drive
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    As this engine doesn’t exactly match a B58, the throttle body is much bigger and its part numbers dont even roughy match the B58 codes, could we be looking at the S58 here?

MLG Tofu Shop and MA617M like this.
  7. mande110

mande110 Member

Car(s):
    Focus RS
    Liked:
    Unless the battery is hiding under the cowl, it looks like the battery was moved elsewhere for better weight distribution.

8. tha7osavage

tha7osavage Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2015 Subaru WRX
    Liked:
    If this is the case, I really hope that Toyota advertises it somehow. It’s wishful thinking, because I know that’d be a poor business decision on Toyotas end.

“Hey, Guys! Here’s the new Supra. It’s awesome. You should totally buy it! Oh yeah... we have the real badass Supra coming in a couple of years”.

I understand this is a business, and in the end everything is about money, but i’d hate to purchase the ‘highest’ trim Supra upon its intial release, just for Toyota to whip out their hot and sexy new motor a year or two later.

9. supraboi

supraboi Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Vu
    Car(s):
    GS300
    Liked:
    So I recall someone from the Supra met with Tada mentioning that the prototype was a US spec. So what if the engine is the more powerful 382hp B58 that is also found on the US spec Z4? :dunno:

10. Leeky

Leeky Active Member

Car(s):
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    #70 Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    I suspect the more powerful version will be significantly more expensive than the base 6-Cyl Supra. And if the base car has a B58 I'll be quite happy to save loads of money and go with this. As we've seen that engine is making colossal power numbers in the BMW 40i models.

Assuming a BMW ECU is used and tuners don't have to crack the ECU's, I predict people remapping these within the first few months of the car coming out and adding 100bhp with a simple remap. They'll probably be doubling the standard power with just BPU parts.

My understanding is the US/European engines are the same and its simply tougher emissions devices that drag the European cars from from 380~ to 335~bhp. I suspect the difference is only exhaust and software, with the rest of the engine being identical. I totally expect we'll see these remapped to 450-500bhp almost immediately after the car is released.

11. Chikane

Chikane Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Hmm What AM I driving?
    Liked:
    I feel like this is that Trying to be competitive with the German lease strategy that we talked about in another thread a while back. People flock to the dealer to least for three years then three years later something hotter comes out and they lease again. This is about 80% of German luxury buyers. I can see this as something they could partake in. However, this will also mean lots of used ones for people that didn't want to spend the money at launch for a first edition. It's annoying I know.

Back on topic, I wouldn't be surprised if the engine cover"red"part is changed back to black for production, I can also see manual hood rod if they do a barebones version.

12. FirstStateCamber

FirstStateCamber Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Eric
    Car(s):
    93 MKIV Supra, 09' 997.1TT, 15' Audi S5
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Odds are as like many BMW's it's in the truck, hatch, bonnet, boot depending on where you live...

13. justbake

justbake Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Car(s):
    F10 535i, E30 325e
    Liked:
    I'm interested on how they are achieving 50:50 weight distribution and lower center of gravity than the FRS with a tall motor tilted to its side.

If it was that simple, why did they convince us the FRS needed a boxer engine to perform the way it does?

Leeky likes this.
  14. Leeky

Leeky Active Member

Car(s):
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    #74 Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Totally!

I've owned a 86 for just over a year and I'm extremely sceptical on this whole cog statement. I don't see how you can make an inline six with a lower center of gravity than a flat 4.

I can only assume that its the full supra body mass itself vs the 86 that gives it a lower cog and not the drive train specifically. After all, the supra has a shorter wheelbase than the 86.

i.e put the 86 engine and gearbox into the supra body and you'd lower the cog even further.

15. ClassicEnd

ClassicEnd Member

Car(s):
    RS1
    Liked:

Yes this car isn't out yet but right now I feel the same way.. I would be furious after buying top trim only to find out the real deal supra came out the following year or two. I'm losing sleep over this

tha7osavage likes this.