Have a look at the Prototype Supra's engine

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
A few key things I took away from this article....thank you for this by the way:

"We would take every bit down to a fastener or rivet, and put it through our stringent quality control and a dozen other testing, we'd ship thousands of parts back to Japan for analysis. That is normal to us. Each piece we test at our level, they were now the ones surprised."

"When we compare the previous collaboration with Subaru, this time it was much more of a challenge. The cultural barrier of German engineers, proud of their engineering, and our pride of what we do best collectively as teams from each firm was something astonishingly different."

"He (Akio Toyoda) also added, “I need a Nurburgring-worthy car in our lineup”

"Not just in exterior panels, but even in the interior too. There isn’t much that be seen as shared-components in how the car feels. Down to even shift knobs, they are different. Of course, major components are shared, such as engine and carriages, but even the tuning of the engine and transmission are different too."

I definitely made sure to read it twice because it was so dense with information and it is reassuring how serious Tada wants this car to be a Supra.

- I think it would be crazy to think Toyota wouldn't ship parts back to Japan for testing, you don't get rated #1 in reliability without obsessing about this.

- I laughed so hard at that statement, it sounds like a politician describing people who were stuck in their ways and unwilling to change/compromise.

- now we're talking!

- Both brands want to make their cars distinct. In their respective salesrooms, a Toyota salesman telling a Toyota customer it was made alongside BMW, and a BMW salesman telling a BMW customer it was made alongside Toyota doesn't seem to go well as judging by the hate in both BMW and Toyota groups and forums
Sponsored

Mike Myers

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB E350e, MB V250, (no longer: BMW 430D xDrive)
I mentioned that. all 3 things shown in the entire interior is bmw but who knows if thats the final configuration or how the interior will feel once everything is uncovered. I am not saying it won't use BMW components, just that I believe the interior in its entirety will not feel BMW. We can pinpoint specific shapes of the interior all day but each element, in its own right, isnt anymore BMW than it is Toyota/Lexus in design. For example, that screen may clearly be a BMW screen but the design element is not anymore specific to a BMW Z4 than it is to a Lexus RX or even a Mazda 3
It’s a little bit more than three things when you take a closer look. And I don’t believe in further changes until official release.
But what you also can see is, that the Supra interior is different from the upcoming Z4. The Z4 will come with the new iDrive 7 interior design like it has already been seen in the new 8 series, X5 and the upcoming 3series.
The BMW parts used for the Supra interior look more like iDrive 6th gen.

aeronSUPRAco

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra(soon)
Oh hai guys here's the engine of the goodwood car. Please see goodwood thread for the very good video.

Screenshot_20180806-231158.png

Look closely at what we can see. Dbw throttle, accessories, piping, ancillary feeds.

Google latest B58.

Not cut and paste, that's for sure. Could be B58TU I suppose, but who knows yet.
It’s not exactly the same. Just around 86%.

lemetier

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes
It’s a little bit more than three things when you take a closer look. And I don’t believe in further changes until official release.
But what you also can see is, that the Supra interior is different from the upcoming Z4. The Z4 will come with the new iDrive 7 interior design like it has already been seen in the new 8 series, X5 and the upcoming 3series.
The BMW parts used for the Supra interior look more like iDrive 6th gen.
The interior HMI controls are from Preh.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Preh is the supplier, that maybe right. What I mean is, that i know these parts from other BMW cars.
These parts may exist in other BMW but that is irrelevant from the car not feeling like a Supra.

Every week more info comes out on how and why these cars are different. If we are stuck in the mindset that this is a pure BMW with Toyota badges like the mules with 3-series mirrors and steering wheel, then we will never see the supra under the camo.

Mike Myers

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
These parts may exist in other BMW but that is irrelevant from the car not feeling like a Supra.

Every week more info comes out on how and why these cars are different. If we are stuck in the mindset that this is a pure BMW with Toyota badges like the mules with 3-series mirrors and steering wheel, then we will never see the supra under the camo.
I do not contradict you. Since I became an active user in this forum I wrote several times, that this “Supra” is a BMW with different badge. For myself it’s not a problem, but most of the users in here “hate” BMW and need every straw they can grab to make themselves believe, that this car will be a legal Supra. I know, my statement is quite unpopular and meanwhile I really really do understand, why many people in here are disappointed about this collaboration and the result. And I think - that’s just my personal opinion - that they will still be disappointed when the final car will be presented. It makes no sense to talk that nice.

lemetier

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes
Preh is the supplier, that maybe right. What I mean is, that i know these parts from other BMW cars.
If that were the case, you’d know how to distinguish between an ID5, ID5+, ID5++, ID6, ID6Lite, ID6+, ID6++, and ID7 HMI interface.

The Supra has similar to ID7 HMI controls but they appear more like the Preh supplied Lexus pieces.

Mike Myers

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If that were the case, you’d know how to distinguish between an ID5, ID5+, ID5++, ID6, ID6Lite, ID6+, ID6++, and ID7 HMI interface.

The Supra has similar to ID7 HMI controls but they appear more like the Preh supplied Lexus pieces.
You are certainly right. I did only compare the leaked interior pictures from the Supra and the Z4 and the controls are looking different to me. Those are used for the Supra remind me to those are used in a few other BMW.
And I’m very sorry about that, but I’m not familiar with Lexus interiors.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I do not contradict you. Since I became an active user in this forum I wrote several times, that this “Supra” is a BMW with different badge. For myself it’s not a problem, but most of the users in here “hate” BMW and need every straw they can grab to make themselves believe, that this car will be a legal Supra. I know, my statement is quite unpopular and meanwhile I really really do understand, why many people in here are disappointed about this collaboration and the result. And I think - that’s just my personal opinion - that they will still be disappointed when the final car will be presented. It makes no sense to talk that nice.
As a current BMW owner, I do not seeing anything wrong with calling the Supra a Z4 with a toyota badge if that were the case. But these cars are fundamentally different. They may be coming together to reduce manufacturing costs but those savings are passed onto research and development. This is evident in how each company has spent years developing these cars together.

I agree that people will be disappointed on the release, but that was going to happen even without BMW in the picture.

Mike Myers

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
As a current BMW owner, I do not seeing anything wrong with calling the Supra a Z4 with a toyota badge if that were the case. But these cars are fundamentally different. They may be coming together to reduce manufacturing costs but those savings are passed onto research and development. This is evident in how each company has spent years developing these cars together.
We will finally know when both cars are out. Hopefully you are right.

I agree that people will be disappointed on the release, but that was going to happen even without BMW in the picture.
You are damn right man!

I am still guessing who could have been the better partner in this temporary marriage with Toyota. Seriously, what’s your wish for the MKVI?

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
We will finally know when both cars are out. Hopefully you are right.
I am just going off interviews with Tada, I wouldnt think so if I went off of forum perception.

You are damn right man!

I am still guessing who could have been the better partner in this temporary marriage with Toyota. Seriously, what’s your wish for the MKVI?
MKVI? I think Tada and BMW are on the right page with these two cars so I think the MKVI will be in good hands.
To be honest, I wish the roles of the Z4 and A90 were reversed where the Z4 was nimble like the older z4s and Z3, and the A90 to be a tech advanced GT like the A80 without compromise of fun.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
That there will be one?
Sponsored