Have a look at the Supra's bare chassis and drivetrain

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
I'm sure it'll be easier to swap but I bet there will be that one impossible bolt to remove.

What would be the easiest way to swap the turbos since the engine is angled, positioned towards the bottom and the firewall curves in towards the strut housing. From the top with air box removed, from the bottom and passenger side or engine out?

Pics for reference
2019-10BE-box-BMW-X5_1.png

Toyota-A90-Supra-engine-uncovered-close-up-right.jpg
Sponsored

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure it'll be easier to swap but I bet there will be that one impossible bolt to remove.

What would be the easiest way to swap the turbos since the engine is angled, positioned towards the bottom and the firewall curves in towards the strut housing. From the top with air box removed, from the bottom and passenger side or engine out?

Pics for reference
2019-10BE-box-BMW-X5_1.png

Toyota-A90-Supra-engine-uncovered-close-up-right.jpg
You have to come in from the bottom. It requires very small hands or you drop the subframe. Unless this car is different form all the 1, 2, 3, and 4 series' of the last decade or so.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
Likely dropping the subframe.Sometimes the easiest way isn't always the least labour intensive.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You have to come in from the bottom. It requires very small hands or you drop the subframe. Unless this car is different form all the 1, 2, 3, and 4 series' of the last decade or so.
Likely dropping the subframe.Sometimes the easiest way isn't always the least labour intensive.
Damn, that sucks. I'm not sure who to knock; modern engineering or lack of intuitive engineering. Toyotas tends to have that additional intuitive engineering for easier maintenance. From this angle, it looked like it could have been removed from the top.

img_7388-jpg.jpg

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Damn, that sucks. I'm not sure who to knock; modern engineering or lack of intuitive engineering. Toyotas tends to have that additional intuitive engineering for easier maintenance. From this angle, it looked like it could have been removed from the top.

img_7388-jpg.jpg
I dont think anyone actually knows. But RWD BMWs can typically be done without dropping the subframe. With this motor so far backward, it probably has even more room to play with

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I dont think anyone actually knows. But RWD BMWs can typically be done without dropping the subframe. With this motor so far backward, it probably has even more room to play with
I don't know if I agree. You have to remember just how small this car is. The engine has got to be pretty tight in there. It may be possible to take it out the top, but maybe not. I think it is more likely you will be able to get to it from the bottom with the steering rack moved out of the way.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I don't know if I agree. You have to remember just how small this car is. The engine has got to be pretty tight in there. It may be possible to take it out the top, but maybe not. I think it is more likely you will be able to get to it from the bottom with the steering rack moved out of the way.
I dont see how both our statements can't be true.

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I dont see how both our statements can't be true.
Oh yes, I am not disagreeing. All am I saying is that I think likely the easiest route would be to drop the subframe if you have the correct equipment available. For the average DIY-er I think that it would be best to lower out the bottom with the steering rack moved. I would be happily surprised if you can swap the turbo by taking it out the top.

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
I've seen worse. Try changing a starter on a 3UR or just install long tube headers. Everyone claimed you 100% needed to raise the engine a few inches to do the install and 6-8 hours of labor at least. Shops now do it in under 2 hours without touching the engine mounts including a full exhaust system. You just need the right tools.

The MKV seems much more forgiving actually compared to that. With the air box out I see plenty of room to work with. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Every modern BMW I have worked on has been a dream. Engine, trans and subframe is completely out of the vehicle in an afternoon. It's designed to be removed.
The issue for me is that without pulling of large amounts of the car, it is a pain the ass.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
The issue for me is that without pulling of large amounts of the car, it is a pain the ass.
It's this way for so many modern cars. Packaging is insane and it often feels like designers have no regard for the people who have to work on cars after the fact.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
It's this way for so many modern cars. Packaging is insane and it often feels like designers have no regard for the people who have to work on cars after the fact.
To be fair, this is usually due to the designers caring about the safety of those who are driving it, which is 1000x more important

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Oh yes, I am not disagreeing. All am I saying is that I think likely the easiest route would be to drop the subframe if you have the correct equipment available. For the average DIY-er I think that it would be best to lower out the bottom with the steering rack moved. I would be happily surprised if you can swap the turbo by taking it out the top.
I guess I am saying something different. Although you don't have to drop the subframe, you could still work on the turbos from under the car in other RWD BMWs.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Every modern BMW I have worked on has been a dream. Engine, trans and subframe is completely out of the vehicle in an afternoon. It's designed to be removed.
Is this factoring in a full shop environment with several people; lift, cherry picker, transmission stand and access to all the speciality tools or DIY in a standard 2 car garage with some tools a buddy, beer and pizza?

+1

Newer cars take longer to get to things because of all that extra sh*t that you have to remove just to get to the part. Then you need special tools to get to a bolt and then another special took to remove it.
Sponsored