Head Unit Replacement After Recall

DennieC

First Name
Dennie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0
Has anyone successfully had their head unit replaced after the software recall? Had the recall done successfully but navigation quit working. Dealer ordered new head unit. Part came in but Service Advisor informs me it is the wrong part. Non navigation unit received in error. Tech and parts guy discuss proper one to order and another unit received. Upon installation, the new unit is missing a connector that my original unit has. They think it has to do with the anti-theft features of the car but doesn't sound like they are positive. After further discussion, comparing of various head units, and keeping my car for two days, they think they have the proper part number ordered. And this scenario all began around October 10th with every visit to the dealer having my car in their hands for two days just to reinstall my old head unit.

Has anyone successfully had their head unit replaced? And if so, does your work order reference it's part number?

Don't know whether to help my service advisor, start a formal complaint with the General Manager, or find a new dealership and start the process over. Such a frustrating situation. Car drives perfectly except the GPS being stuck on the loading screen. I cringe now even thinking of taking the car in for service for fear I will not get it back for several days with no successful outcome.
Sponsored

JP_

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
I have had mine replaced, and since the recall, but unfortunately it was all warranty work to try to address a different issue to yours (see my thread on static from the speakers) so I've not seen a work order which might have part numbers. Am in the UK.

BG500

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Supra
Shit... I'm starting to really dread this, the car is going for recall mid January?

Chief131

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Mine is in for a head unit replacement - same thing - radio came in, they said it was the wrong part and missing a connector (they told me they thought is was for SiriusXM connection)…….. did they eventually get the right part for you?

OP
OP

DennieC

First Name
Dennie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0
Not yet. They had to call Toyota to get the proper part number, but the part is still on back order. I have been given various eta's since January, but the dates keep getting pushed back. Supply Chain issues being what they are, the Service Manager calls me with a new expected delivery date about every 3 to 4 weeks.

HAL 9000

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKIV Supra
I ordered one months ago. Took some time to come in and I removed the old one and it was wrong. My parts manager can’t figure out what part number it needs. Still waiting

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Perhaps people who got the wrong part number can let everyone know what that pn is....

Chief131

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
So update on mine...... they sent it home telling me it needed a head unit still and had the same issue (took it in for the head unit resetting every 30 seconds or so). Pulled it out and noticed it had not started resetting yet, but still showed the "German" speed limit sign....... then, got out of the garage, tried to connect my phone to establish Car Play.... and it worked! It is going on three days now and still functioning.
Also had the issue associated with getting the wrong head unit in the first time, getting a new date for the first one, and then getting a delay date. I guess I should count my blessings that it is working - for now. Easier to have patience when it is working.
Lesson to pass along - pull it outside and let it get a GPS signal after reloading software so the car can figure out where it is and pull up the proper information.

Cs191707

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Hey all. Same thing happened to my 2021 Supra. Navigation is gone after the brake recall. Only way to fix it is to get the new head unit.

My question is, will this just do a soft lock on the ECU where I need to get it unlocked by Visconti tuning again? Or will this need to go to Russia for a full unlock? I’m tuned now on ecutech and want to return once I get the work done.

Hoping someone has had an unlocked ECU who went through this also.

thank you!
Sponsored