Headlights misaligned?

ravenwest

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
Has anyone else had issues with their headlights being vertically misaligned and also having a short throw? I feel like I'm going crazy that I can't see more than 10 feet in front of my car without high beams at night.

At first I thought it was just the nose causing a split in the headlights but I'm not so sure, it just looks wrong

This is the best demonstration of my issue that I could get. How easy would it be to re-align the headlights myself?

IMG_6098.JPG
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
if what you're referring to is the flipped Z figure that the lights make, then it's normal. Safety stuff for oncoming traffic from the left...
Can't comment on rest of your experience..
But you do know that Supra comes with automatic high beams, right?

I'll just leave this for anyone who may need it.
Supra Auto High Beams.png

Last edited:
OP
OP

ravenwest

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
if what you're referring to is the flipped Z figure that the lights make, then it's normal. Safety stuff for oncoming traffic from the left...
Can't comment on rest of your experience..
But you do know that Supra comes with automatic high beams, right?
Weird. I couldn't find anything about that. I felt like I just couldn't see anything and had to go really slow in the dark versus my previous car (the headlights on it weren't LED but still).

I didn't know about the automatic high beams lol. I'll check it out.

Edit: Actually funny enough I didn't have the issue on a freeway, its just when I'm driving around city streets with few cars on the road that I notice the problem.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I do notice the factory vertical setting is pretty low. Itā€™s sufficient output but just not as far as some of my other higher sitting cars. It may take some time to get used to. If you really want to, you could always ask if Toyota can adjust your lowbeams higher or do it yourself.

RedRkt2020

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 Sierra Denali, 2016 FRS
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same issue. Itā€™s a dip in the low beam ā€œhorizonā€. Mine is right in front of the lane that Iā€™m in. It also seems to me that it is the nose of the car splitting the two lights. I have tried adjusting it and the two beams wonā€™t intersect to correct it. Very frustrating.

OP
OP

ravenwest

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
I have the same issue. Itā€™s a dip in the low beam ā€œhorizonā€. Mine is right in front of the lane that Iā€™m in. It also seems to me that it is the nose of the car splitting the two lights. I have tried adjusting it and the two beams wonā€™t intersect to correct it. Very frustrating.
I feel like this is what it is but wouldn't there be a dip in the middle not on the far left side?

It's even noticeable when the high beams come on, there's a gap on the left side where the left one is lower leaving a darker spot in the middle of the headlights

clockwork

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
This. 100% normal and has been the case for pretty much any newer car I have owned with Xenon or LED headlamps.

OP
OP

ravenwest

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
This. 100% normal and has been the case for pretty much any newer car I have owned with Xenon or LED headlamps.
Iā€™ve never heard of this but Iā€™ve also never owned a car with Xenon or LED headlamps. So does the reduced headlight throw not bother you? Like I feel like I have to drive a lot slower than I did in my Elantra at night cause I canā€™t see that far ahead without the high beams on.

clockwork

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Iā€™ve never heard of this but Iā€™ve also never owned a car with Xenon or LED headlamps. So does the reduced headlight throw not bother you? Like I feel like I have to drive a lot slower than I did in my Elantra at night cause I canā€™t see that far ahead without the high beams on.
I can't say it has ever been a concern and/or even notice. Visibility is way better than any vehicles with halogen lights that I have driven.

I will say that I do miss the dynamic lights I had on my Stinger GT2 that moved with the steering wheel when turning corners or the static turn lights that lit up when turning corners on my Giulia Ti Sport.

2Cool

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra Premium 3.0
Adjust them up a bit. The driver side drop is made to reduce glare for oncoming drivers. Tweak it up a bit, keep the cutoff below eye level of traffic, and you are good.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Looks like your local in GA. Meet up with the some local guys at caffine and octane and compare the beam pattern/throw distance with the other Supras. Obviously donā€™t compare it to a lowered supra or ones with different tires than yours.... that should give you an idea if your vertical adjustment is off or not.

Illsic_Design

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E92 335i N54, 4G63T Mighty Max
Yes, 100% normal for the left light on Xenon lights to have the cut off lower. As said it is intentional as to not blind oncoming drivers. I get flashed enough as it is in my e92, I can only imagine how bad it would be if the left beam was as high as the right beam. I did adjust them a little bit higher then stock though.
Sponsored