Headlights Off while in motion

Patina

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Nitro Yellow
Is there a bimmercode option buried somewhere to allow us to turn off the headlights on and off while already in motion? I live in the suburbs and it's getting annoying seeing more and more people driving with their DRLs only, and the car refuses to let me turn on/off the headlights to signal they're an idiot...
Sponsored

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Flash your high beams at em real quick? Flash the four ways? Honestly most of these people are just too dumb to understand what any of that would mean anyway. Seems like Nissan Rouges are the biggest culprit of this for some reason. Also I don't believe there is a way to have your headlights off while in motion at all. But I could be wrong.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Sorry but you're in the same boat of people who don't familiarize themselves with the car, aka reading the manual....

Take this off of Auto and you'll have headlights on/off as you please and using this you'll become idiot x2 because you'll forget to turn your headlights on..
s-l1600.jpg

And yes, use the flash high beams. You can take those off of Auto as well...

OP
OP
Patina

Patina

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Nitro Yellow
Flash your high beams at em real quick? Flash the four ways? Honestly most of these people are just too dumb to understand what any of that would mean anyway. Seems like Nissan Rouges are the biggest culprit of this for some reason. Also I don't believe there is a way to have your headlights off while in motion at all. But I could be wrong.
Brights on this car don't really help since it just raises the brightness on this car rather than turning on an entirely separate bulb. My experience with DRL-only drivers has been CRV's and Civics...

OP
OP
Patina

Patina

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Nitro Yellow
Sorry but you're in the same boat of people who don't familiarize themselves with the car, aka reading the manual....

Take this off of Auto and you'll have headlights on/off as you please and using this you'll become idiot x2 because you'll forget to turn your headlights on..
s-l1600.jpg

And yes, use the flash high beams. You can take those off of Auto as well...
I never drive with the car in auto headlights mode because the green led throws off a reflection on the driver window and it's annoying.

Manual headlights are on 24/7, when it's dark outside and you try to turn off the lights, the car throws a warning in the cluster saying something to the tune of "lights off not allowed in motion".

I appreciate the casual dig at me being lolclueless owner though. Not like I'm a total noob to BMW ownership.

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Brights on this car don't really help since it just raises the brightness on this car rather than turning on an entirely separate bulb. My experience with DRL-only drivers has been CRV's and Civics...
We have a whole lower row of LEDs that are the brights. Look closely at the headlights, there's two rows of 3 and the lower 3 only come on for the high beams.

OP
OP
Patina

Patina

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Nitro Yellow
We have a whole lower row of LEDs that are the brights. Look closely at the headlights, there's two rows of 3 and the lower 3 only come on for the high beams.
Gonna take a closer look later tonight, but I always thought all of em came on at once with headlights. I guess I'm just too grouchy and expect something more along the lines of the E9x era where you had a very distinct bulb just for brights that didn't share bulb space like the newer F8x and higher do...

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I never drive with the car in auto headlights mode because the green led throws off a reflection on the driver window and it's annoying.

Errr. Lower the brightness with the dial. Put a security screen to dim brightness further in the dash...if the green is bothering you so much??

Manual headlights are on 24/7, when it's dark outside and you try to turn off the lights, the car throws a warning in the cluster saying something to the tune of "lights off not allowed in motion".
Anyhow try this?
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26023306&postcount=9

I appreciate the casual dig at me being lolclueless owner though. Not like I'm a total noob to BMW ownership.
Guess you're one of a kind. Lol. Wasn't super clear in the op that it was giving an error. I take my comment back. 👍

Last edited:

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Gotta appreciate a car that micromanages our drive and insists on being run the way it wants 😂

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
Just switch between parking lights and lowbeams? I think that's almost what you want if I'm understanding you correctly

OP
OP
Patina

Patina

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Nitro Yellow
So snapped some photos to show what's going on exactly...

I have the lights on manually and when trying to either hit off or the parking lights, this is what shows in the dash.

First photo is just there to show the annoying green led on the auto button, and why I don't use it unless I need the auto high beams.

PXL_20230510_083626948.jpg

PXL_20230510_083737226.jpg

PXL_20230510_083807977.jpg

PXL_20230510_083635240.jpg

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Wait.. you can't flash your high beams in this car? Here in Australia that's how we signal other drivers to warn them they are approaching police or speed cameras.

Is that not a thing in the US?

OP
OP
Patina

Patina

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Nitro Yellow
Wait.. you can't flash your high beams in this car? Here in Australia that's how we signal other drivers to warn them they are approaching police or speed cameras.

Is that not a thing in the US?
It is but in my experience, flashing your brights doesn't accomplish much nowadays since it's more of a signal for their brights being on, or an over eager auto high beam system. You're more likely to just get a flash back and they still have no lights on.

Nothing beats an old fashing on/off since that's such a clear message.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
It is but in my experience, flashing your brights doesn't accomplish much
Here it is pretty much a way of life.

If someone flashes their high beams, you give them a wave, slow down and look for the speed trap.. before going back to sending it. 😂

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
I can confirm that you cannot turn off headlights while driving. I wanted this feature. Looked into a kill switch, never got around to it
Sponsored