hit in parking lot, insights on fixes.

Zooterz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
parked in the parking lot at the bank and a guy in a 1985 avanti ran right into me while attempting to park his boat(empty parking lot he just had to park next to me)

do yall think theyll have to replace the whole bumper? sensor seems to be intact and has no issues

panel is fucked, there are wrinkles in wheel well also.

anyone ever dealt with having a panel or bumper replaced? did the paint match when done? also has anyone had success with a diminished value claim?

also pollen season so car is dirty as F

IMG_0388.jpg
Sponsored

Habu

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra Absolute Zero
One of the most interesting things Iā€™ve learned from owning this car is how controversial it seems to someone who doesnā€™t also own one. Itā€™s pretty crazy how some people can react when they see one. Donā€™t get me wrong Iā€™ve had a lot of compliments too. But also unpleasant experiences as well.

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR 3.0 Premium
If it's paint transfer, which seems likely, try rubbing it off first properly. The bent portion maybe try PDR? To put it back in placement. I don't see any cracking etc. Then get a color match side marker.

But not fully aware on PDR functions on plastic bumpers. Unless advisable.

OP
OP
Zooterz

Zooterz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
If it's paint transfer, which seems likely, try rubbing it off first properly. The bent portion maybe try PDR? To put it back in placement. I don't see any cracking etc. Then get a color match side marker.
there is def factory paint missing but all the red paint you see just peels right off. the only reason i havent touched it is because the insurance claim hasnt started yet and i wanted to keep it the way it is just in case

still boggles my mind that in an empty parking lot with 50 spaces people still want to park directly next to you.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Donā€™t get me wrong Iā€™ve had a lot of compliments too. But also unpleasant experiences as well.
Sorry to go off topic but in the nine months I've had mine, the only negative I've heard was a light hearted "Nice BMW" at a car meet. Beyond that, it's all love. Every time I take the car out of the garage someone stops to ask questions or gives me a thumbs up or waves or screams out "SUUUPPPRRRAAAAA," etc. It's just nuts!

Back on topic: Fuck people. This is why we can't have nice things. Sorry to see that damage mate.

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
Sorry about that. I wouldn't do anything myself thus I'd defer the question to a qualified body shop. It will cost whatever it costs. I recommend choosing your own shop and doing a little research on the value of your car vs. value of the car with some issues. That way you'll have some perspective when talking with the insurance (it helps with that feeling of being screwed).

As for the off topic -- i've never had a truly negative thing said about the car. One guy didn't really like the lines of the car, the fake vents, and preferred more of lotus type look. But wasn't really negative, more of a critic. Everyone's entitled to an opinion. But I couldn't imagine a truly negative thing being said -- especially from a stranger. That'd blow my mind.

SavagePassenger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 WRX
One of the most interesting things Iā€™ve learned from owning this car is how controversial it seems to someone who doesnā€™t also own one. Itā€™s pretty crazy how some people can react when they see one. Donā€™t get me wrong Iā€™ve had a lot of compliments too. But also unpleasant experiences as well.
Wrong thread, or did you think they hit OP on purpose? Lol

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
This is my opinion and what id do. Speak to the guy who did it first, see what he wants to do. I personally wouldn't go through insurance at all, I wouldn't want the hit on my carfax or history. (which seems like the PO thought the same as he had a minor rear bumper fix that was plastic welded and painted up, had no idea until I pulled the bumper off and it doesn't bother me)

I'd then polish it up and see how bad it really is, then take it off, see what's damaged under it and replace the side marker with color matched versions. I'd use insurance as a last resort thing, I'm not bringing my premiums up and I don't want a hit on my vehicle. different states deal with diminished value differently. Here in Nevada it was more of a pin in the dick to try and get it on a Scion XB of my fiancƩ at the time then just trading the vehicle in. We paid 300$ for the report and all then the lady's company that ran the stop sign stated since we repaired the vehicle it no longer fell under their DV rules. We could've gone to court I guess but it was 1k. I'd lose more money trying to get that 1k back and She wanted a new car anyway.

My son was just involved in a little fender bender in his GTI the guy didn't realize both lanes turn left and went a little wide and taped the rear fender of the GTI, I polished it out and the guy paid the 175$ to have PDR fix the little dent that was there. All handled without insurance.

This just my opinion though, do whatever will make you feel "whole" again.

OP
OP
Zooterz

Zooterz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
This is my opinion and what id do. Speak to the guy who did it first, see what he wants to do. I personally wouldn't go through insurance at all, I wouldn't want the hit on my carfax or history. (which seems like the PO thought the same as he had a minor rear bumper fix that was plastic welded and painted up, had no idea until I pulled the bumper off and it doesn't bother me)

I'd then polish it up and see how bad it really is, then take it off, see what's damaged under it and replace the side marker with color matched versions. I'd use insurance as a last resort thing, I'm not bringing my premiums up and I don't want a hit on my vehicle. different states deal with diminished value differently. Here in Nevada it was more of a pin in the dick to try and get it on a Scion XB of my fiancƩ at the time then just trading the vehicle in. We paid 300$ for the report and all then the lady's company that ran the stop sign stated since we repaired the vehicle it no longer fell under their DV rules. We could've gone to court I guess but it was 1k. I'd lose more money trying to get that 1k back and She wanted a new car anyway.

My son was just involved in a little fender bender in his GTI the guy didn't realize both lanes turn left and went a little wide and taped the rear fender of the GTI, I polished it out and the guy paid the 175$ to have PDR fix the little dent that was there. All handled without insurance.

This just my opinion though, do whatever will make you feel "whole" again.
the guy who hit me already filed a claim this morning before i could talk to him but im about to call him and see if he wants to deal with it outside of insurance. the guy is a car collector so he is pretty cool about everything we have talked about so far

Bigboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 civic FK7 sport, supra 3.0 premium
The nicer the car the more unwanted attention you get. Shitty world we live in you cant just enjoy what you worked for without some jackass coming out of nowhere trying to take it all away from you. OP didnā€™t you just get the car a few months ago?

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
Wrong thread, or did you think they hit OP on purpose? Lol
I think he just means that a person will go out of their way to park right next to it, even if its an empty lot. I'm sure most of us have experienced that. It's pretty frustrating.

i3igpete

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0L 8AT
Shitty world we live in you cant just enjoy what you worked for without some jackass coming out of nowhere trying to take it all away from you.
I don't think OP's incedent was malicious, the other guy saw a cool car and thought "this is a nice car, I can snap a picture after I park, and he won't ding my car when he returns". He just sucked at parking.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
I don't think OP's incedent was malicious, the other guy saw a cool car and thought "this is a nice car, I can snap a picture after I park, and he won't ding my car when he returns". He just sucked at parking.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Phil

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Sorry to hear that happened to you. I know that feeling all to well. We go out of our way to park far from everyone else, but some random guy always has to park next you.

OP
OP
Zooterz

Zooterz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
The nicer the car the more unwanted attention you get. Shitty world we live in you cant just enjoy what you worked for without some jackass coming out of nowhere trying to take it all away from you. OP didnā€™t you just get the car a few months ago?
Iā€™ve had it about 2 months :(

Also the guy was super cool, he did not hit me on purpose he just probably wanted to park his collector car next time mine so he could snap a picture of just nostalgia reasons (he was about 80 years old)

Idk if Iā€™ve mentioned it but he hit me with a poop brown 1987 avanti

IMG_0389.jpeg
Sponsored