Holding the downshift paddle/lever while braking hard.

gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Prem., 2015 Subaru XV, 2003 MINI JCW, 1972 TR6
Vehicle Showcase
I think we're misunderstanding each other.?. Next time you drive the car, get up to 60mph and aggressively brake.while braking hold down the paddle.it will shift from 8th to 3rd gear instantly. I guess I will find out if continuing to hold the paddle down will result in a shift down to 2nd and 1st to further provide engine braking.
How do you get 8th gear in sport mode? Mine stops at 6th in sports mode. no O/D.
Sponsored

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Holding down the “-“ paddle to downshift to the lowest available gear is a common BMW feature in at least the ZF8... but I personally can’t imagine wanting to perform this action under braking.
Yea, I am kind of scratching my head. The lowest available gear feature seems meant for use when you want to pass someone, i.e. hard and instant acceleration. If you're slowing down, I guess the car will downshift once to the lowest available gear when you hold the paddle (as opposed to successive downshifts as you slow down) but I've never really tried. It's really hard to see the utility of using it to brake to a stop. I still haven't seen anyone give a reason why they would want to do that.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
If you're prepping the car for a sharp turn after a long straight, I can see someone using the feature while braking hard, as it's really no different than downshifting in sequence while braking hard to prepare for the turn unless you're trying to maximize engine braking while approaching the turn.

glennQNYC

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 BMW 335i
Vehicle Showcase
If you're prepping the car for a sharp turn after a long straight, I can see someone using the feature while braking hard, as it's really no different than downshifting in sequence while braking hard to prepare for the turn unless you're trying to maximize engine braking while approaching the turn.
I guess we’re getting to the root of the situation because this extremely-experienced track day driver doesn’t ever try to maximize engine braking. I have a difficult time imagining anyone short of someone rebuilding engines for a living wanting anyone to use their drivetrain for slowing down a car (in a performance driving context). That’s what the braking system is there for.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
I guess we’re getting to the root of the situation because this extremely-experienced track day driver doesn’t ever try to maximize engine braking. I have a difficult time imagining anyone short of someone rebuilding engines for a living wanting anyone to use their drivetrain for slowing down a car (in a performance driving context). That’s what the braking system is there for.
correct I am hammering brakes and picking gear I want to exit throttle on same time

gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Prem., 2015 Subaru XV, 2003 MINI JCW, 1972 TR6
Vehicle Showcase
if i had to guess hes cruising at 90+ mph
Sport mode doesn’t go to 7/8 ... Oh correction, someone just said you can get there with manual shifting #TheMoreYouKnow ?
Sponsored