Sponsored

How much should it cost to install springs? Should I do it myself?

RideOrDie

Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
19
Reaction score
26
Location
CA
Car(s)
2026 3.0 MT Stratosphere
I wanted to get the Eibach Z4 springs installed and the quotes I got from the shops around me were all asking ~$1800 for the install + alignment. Is that typical? It's been a while since I had any work done at a shop, but that seems like a lot, especially since the springs are $400.

For that price I was considering just buying the tools and installing them myself. Watched some YouTube videos and it doesn't seem too bad.. I do my own oil changes and put in an intake/downpipe myself. Anyone have experience with this? Any advice?
Sponsored

 
OP
OP
RideOrDie

RideOrDie

Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
19
Reaction score
26
Location
CA
Car(s)
2026 3.0 MT Stratosphere
I'm in NorCal.. all the quotes were from "performance" shops. maybe I'll have better luck with standard mechanics
 

Eastwood

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2022
Threads
11
Messages
793
Reaction score
1,114
Location
SoCal
Car(s)
2023 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium - Stratosphere
Most shops I know in SoCal are $250-350 for spring install, not including alignment. Cash (preferred)

For coilovers, $700-850, some shops include alignment if they have an alignment rack in shop.
 

Subydude

Well-Known Member
First Name
Tim
Joined
Jun 25, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
203
Reaction score
135
Location
Cayce, SC
Car(s)
Too many
I did it myself and it was pretty simple. You can do it without removing the front shocks (and they're likely quoting you R&R on the shocks). Get the spring compressors (or rent them) and make sure to do things slowly. There are several write ups on line so I'm not going to write it all here, but it's easily done without removing the shocks.

The rear is also easy and the only thing you really need is a jack to hold the main control arm.

I think it took me 3 hours the first time. Getting an alignment after is needed though, so get that lined up and then do the spring swap the day before. If you have toe plates you can get things close, but that's not really needed as long as the alignment shop isn't stupid far away.
 

Eplejus

Well-Known Member
First Name
Morten
Joined
Sep 15, 2022
Threads
2
Messages
190
Reaction score
381
Location
Norway
Car(s)
2020 A90 Supra 3.0 Premium
The Supra is acctually one of the easiest car I've ever changed springs on.

A cheap spring compressor set that clamps onto the spring from each side, a strut top hat nut removal tool (19mm if I remember correctly) and a regular spanner and socket set are all you need.

You don't even need to remove the front struts from the car. Just push the strut down while leaving it attached to the spindle. Put a cloth between the strut and the fender to avoid scratching the paint.

8f34937c-facf-482e-8a3a-ec321ffba2c4-1_all_513.webp
 
OP
OP
RideOrDie

RideOrDie

Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
19
Reaction score
26
Location
CA
Car(s)
2026 3.0 MT Stratosphere
Alright, you guys have convinced me to try to install the springs myself.. wish me luck!
 

kungfujedis

Well-Known Member
First Name
Greg
Joined
Nov 13, 2023
Threads
12
Messages
184
Reaction score
226
Location
Washington DC
Car(s)
2024 Supra MT, 2013 WRX
Alright, you guys have convinced me to try to install the springs myself.. wish me luck!
Hopefully you noticed that bearing is split in half before you reinstalled it... I had that same thing happen to me when installing camber plates. Its a common thing to break when pulling the shock off the mount. You can get new ones on ebay from febi for $20-40 (31306869888).
1790000479303-m1.webp
 

Eplejus

Well-Known Member
First Name
Morten
Joined
Sep 15, 2022
Threads
2
Messages
190
Reaction score
381
Location
Norway
Car(s)
2020 A90 Supra 3.0 Premium
Hopefully you noticed that bearing is split in half before you reinstalled it... I had that same thing happen to me when installing camber plates. Its a common thing to break when pulling the shock off the mount. You can get new ones on ebay from febi for $20-40 (31306869888).
1790000479303-m1.webp
I just squeezed them back into the top hat and mounted them. They've been good for the last 6000+ miles since the springs were installed, with no rattling or noises so far.
Can't say I remember any of the ball bearings missing.

I didn't even know they were NOT supposed to come off like this before you posted this šŸ˜…

I guess I'll order a couple of new ones and change them out when I do maintenance while the car is in winter storage. Thanks for the info.
Sponsored

 
 








Top