How to use hill assist in a manual?

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
If in gear, most “hill assist” manual cars will hold the brake for about 3 seconds, to allow you to find that engagement spot where you’re in control and can hold the car there. That being the key & getting comfortable where that engagement is (used to be called riding the clutch). It’s perfectly normal to do that on a hill, or any start for that matter. I do that method to scoot up in traffic when a gap occurs.
Wait. You're saying people should actually ride the clutch? :crazy:
Sponsored

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Wait. You're saying people should actually ride the clutch? :crazy:
Better than popping it, hahaha… At least for daily driving. Finding that sweet spot where you don’t even think about it. But yeah, I coast up and never fully release the clutch all the time in traffic. Not a lot of hills here. NYC traffic would be awful! I used to live in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area. Always had a manual because automatics sucked back in the day, imo. Damn I love this ZF trans!

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Bruh we’re supposed to have it on manual. Might as well use it i feel like the poeple getting angry have small penises.
my penis is fine. Ask a certain family member.
Think a lot of us old school manual guys are incredulous at the wusification of “car guys”
Rev match, hill hold- what’s the point of a manual ??

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
my penis is fine. Ask a certain family member.
Think a lot of us old school manual guys are incredulous at the wusification of “car guys”
Rev match, hill hold- what’s the point of a manual ??
I had a vw passat and hated the automatic hill assist. I killed that car on flat ground because it would engage if you pushed a little to much on the brake pedal. Unless you live in an area that has like 6% grades. I'd just practice proper clutch engagement and get to know your car.

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
My favorite thing about MT Supra? The super opinionated arguments regarding the proper way to drive an MT. People die invoking their great grandpas names and swearing on their children's lives on these hills. Forgot how much I missed these threads from the old Miata forum I used to haunt.

Granny Shift vs. Double Clutching vs. Heel Toe
Start on Uphill Slope with just break and gas (burning the clutch a little) vs. hand break and gas vs. some sort of heel toe thing (new one to me)
Start from 2nd or larger gear
Skipping gears
Downshifting on your way to a stop

Great times. Good to see Supra at 2x cost isnt' immune to these threads.

BTW -- how was Dom able to tell he was granny shifting rather than heel toe like he should? That one (along with how to get the front of the car to jump up while spinning the wheels at the same time) has confused me for a long time. :)

Johnny Utah

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 P
All I know is this is fantastic! It’s the Supra’s of NY.

puckshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 CU Later A91-MT
I've driven manual cars for like 25 years and never used the handbrake on a hill. Hell, half of the manual cars (older pickup trucks, etc) I've had didn't even have a handbrake. Just the parking foot brake.
The only time it’s necessary is on steep hills like other people have mentioned. I live in NC and there are plenty of steep hills around here. It’s not something I’ve had to do super often but occasionally it’s the best option. Can I do it without the handbrake? Sure but it can be tricky with someone on your ass. Most people drive autos so they aren’t really thinking about leaving you any space.

The hill assist in my WRX was awful. It would activate way too often in completely unnecessary situations so I disabled it the first week I had the car. The Supra’s works well and most of the time isn’t needed and doesn’t kick in. So I haven’t explored disabling it because it doesn’t bother me.

I don’t get why people (who mostly are driving autos) are attacking OP for asking a simple question and acting like this feature basically means the manual is a complete waste in these cars or he can’t drive. It’s such a massive and illogical overreaction. I haven’t been a part of this community for very long but it seems fairly toxic.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
It can seem that way... Lotta peeps can be very opinionated but helpful as hell, imo. I take everything with a grain of salt and learn something new every day. That’s why this thread is fun! Hope the @cbring doesn‘t take it that way ✌🏼

My way is the best btw 😂 (in my mind)

Last edited:
OP
OP

cbring

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 A91 Cu Later
It can seem that way... Lotta peeps can be very opinionated but helpful as hell, imo. I take everything with a grain of salt and learn something new every day. That’s why this thread is fun! Hope the @cbring doesn‘t take it that way ✌🏼

My way is the best btw 😂 (in my mind)
All good bro.. internet warriors lol

UYCR

First Name
Ubec
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91-MT
Anyone know how to turn off the hill assist? 😅 I’ve never been a fan of it and on the Supra I feel it sticks too much. I’ve been looking all over the infotainment menus but haven’t found where to get rid of it.

CdnSupes

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91-MT
Assuming you could turn it off with bimmercode?

Honestly I don't find it intrusive at all. Modern day manual driving is exceptionally easy, optional rev match, hill assist, and soft clutches.

Just enjoy the fact that we can have manual cars, and support each other in the community!

more.cylinders

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra MT 3.0 Premium, NSX
yup, in my car, I gotta be in first gear with the clutch pedal pressed down and foot on the brake pedal.
Then when I release the brake pedal, but still holding the clutch pedal in, the car will "hold" the brakes for me for about 1.5 secs. If I don't move anything else during that 1.5secs, it will release the brakes and I'll start rolling backwards at that point.

I don't know what the brake lights behind me are doing during this hill assist process. I'm interested to find out.

UYCR

First Name
Ubec
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91-MT
Assuming you could turn it off with bimmercode?

Honestly I don't find it intrusive at all. Modern day manual driving is exceptionally easy, optional rev match, hill assist, and soft clutches.

Just enjoy the fact that we can have manual cars, and support each other in the community!
Mine feels like the ebrake stays stuck for longer than it should to the point that it holds the car back when taking off on an incline. You can even hear when the brakes let go. I never used the hill assist on my brz and that had crap torque so I don’t really care for it in the supra specially when it doesn’t let me move the car when I want it to.
Sponsored