I designed a simple 3D printed Magsafe phone mount

UYCR

First Name
Ubec
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91-MT
For the majority of applications, ABS can be used between −20 and 80 °C (−4 and 176 °F), as its mechanical properties vary with temperature.

Some plastics emit hazardous fumes when 3D-printed. When I do get a printer, it will have an enclosure - maybe Bamboo Labs
You can just keep the printer in a corner away from you for if that is your concern. The real benefit of the enclosures is keeping the print volume at a nice and consistent temp, specially during winter. This helps plastics that are prone to warping have less of a tendency to do so but there are also other alternatives like G10/FR4 print beds. These work great on most plastics but is really worth it when printing ABS and Nylon since they really like to warp and not stick well to other beds.

I'd recommend looking into the Prusa printers in case you haven't. They're a great bang for the buck. I had several of these in my previous job and we would run them for weeks without stop with equal or better part quality than the expensive industrial brands. We had some with and others without any enclosures yet never noticed an impact on the quality of the prints.
Sponsored

OP
OP

puckshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 CU Later A91-MT
I finally got a chance to sit down and play with combining the magsafe charger into the holder you made. I might make it a bit wider and add some honeycomb cutouts to make it look nicer but in terms of function this should be more than sufficient. Had to thicken up the front face to 7.5mm to allow for the 56.25mm diameter cutout at a 5.5mm depth. I might shrink the diameter a hair just to get a more snug fit after I get a chance to print it. Wouldn't want the whole thing popping out on the road 😅 .

1708890752675.png
Nice looks good!

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
You can just keep the printer in a corner away from you for if that is your concern. The real benefit of the enclosures is keeping the print volume at a nice and consistent temp, specially during winter. This helps plastics that are prone to warping have less of a tendency to do so but there are also other alternatives like G10/FR4 print beds. These work great on most plastics but is really worth it when printing ABS and Nylon since they really like to warp and not stick well to other beds.

I'd recommend looking into the Prusa printers in case you haven't. They're a great bang for the buck. I had several of these in my previous job and we would run them for weeks without stop with equal or better part quality than the expensive industrial brands. We had some with and others without any enclosures yet never noticed an impact on the quality of the prints.
I was watching quite a few 3D printing evaluation videos (on youtube), a while back and they seemed to favor both the Prusa and Bamboo Labs' printers. The BL printers were more advanced with cameras and other advanced features that included much faster build speeds. The cost of BLs were close to Prusa (about $1000), and consistency and reliability of builds were very similar.

That's why I would lean towards the BL printer. Have you checked them out?

UYCR

First Name
Ubec
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91-MT
I was watching quite a few 3D printing evaluation videos (on youtube), a while back and they seemed to favor both the Prusa and Bamboo Labs' printers. The BL printers were more advanced with cameras and other advanced features that included much faster build speeds. The cost of BLs were close to Prusa (about $1000), and consistency and reliability of builds were very similar.

That's why I would lean towards the BL printer. Have you checked them out?
I have seen a bit of their printers but not much to be honest. Build speeds come down to your settings though so a lot of what you may see online can be more marketing and what the slicer lets you do. What I would say, if you end up going with BL, is to make sure the slicer it uses does not limit you on what you expect from the printer. I tend to favor Prusa because the open source aspect of it is more valuable the more you tinker around (new materials, support structures, surface finishes, etc.). I have friends who like closed environments and other who are all for open source but they all have great prints so it comes down to what fits your needs best.
Sponsored