I got a chance to see the new Supra without any camo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illsic_Design

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E92 335i N54, 4G63T Mighty Max
depending on the official starting power figure and your plans for future tuning etc. I may re-think that decision. There is no doubt the M2 Competition is an amazing car.....some journalists are picking it over the 718 Cayman....but you have to remember adding power is WAY easier than removing weight. Also if you plan to bump the power up on the M2 you now have the Crankhub design flaw in the back of your mind with the S55 engine. Its not a guaranteed failure by any means and the S55 engine powerband wise is amazing but it has been shown that the crank hub can spin causing pretty much catastrophic failure of the engine on even a stock engine....with higher percentage chance on a tuned engine. Seems to happen more with DCT cars and a lot of BMW guys think its sudden torque from the kickdown feature....but there is no solid proof correlation.

If you want to see the failure rates between year to year and manual vs. dct bimmerpost has a huge post on it. Its a small percentage yes....but for me its a large enough amount of failures to keep me from getting an S55 engine (cause I am definitely wanting to tune my engines for more power). If it caused a small issue or small part to break...fine...I can eat the cost, but when they fail BMW pretty much says...yep! whole new engine.

There are some fixes from the aftermarket with this issue that have shown to help and remedy the problem...but unless you do it yourself its like a 4k USD job....just to be able to tune your car with ease of mind! On the flip side....there are s55 engines stock holding 600+whp....but to me that engine tuned is a gamble and a pricey one if it fails
VTT I believe has a newly designed aftermarket crank hub bolt/other pieces that don't require removal of engine/drilling a pin or any of that and from the design looks like it will prevent the issue from happening.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Well you have the new Z4 and M2 that are priced the same, Cayman is around 120.000USD, so its a bit more expensive. The GT86 is around 70.000USD.
Interesting, I also think the GT86 price is likely a great comparison. I would assume that while pricing for the Supra will vary significantly from country to country based on exchange rates and taxes (like we see with all cars), where it sits in the market in comparison to other Toyotas should be pretty similar.

So based on this info the GT86 (70k) is exactly 2/3 the price of the Supra (105K). While there are always fluctuations I would assume it would be similar for other markets meaning a 30k usd GT86 should make for a 45k to 50k supra in USD assuming the jump from one product to the next is proportional. Now I realize that the 86 is made in Japan while the Supra in europe so that may play a factor too but still interesting to note.

CantEven_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Cayman GT4
VTT I believe has a newly designed aftermarket crank hub bolt/other pieces that don't require removal of engine/drilling a pin or any of that and from the design looks like it will prevent the issue from happening.
Thatā€™s huge if so!! Thatā€™s the main skeleton in the closet for the s55 with me. If that pans out to be true I may have to put the M2 Comp back in the running heh

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
Could it be maybe just the EU models comes with fake vents on the front bumper? There has been some prototypes spotted with functional vents. I'm assuming US versions?

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
Re the front bumper, he's talking about the little flirty things on the corners. The main big openings all feed into the rad, intercooler heat exchangers and from the diagrams, probably the brakes too (though its hard to tell if the brakes have their own venting or the heat exchangers dump into the wheel wells).

OP
OP

Kicol33t

First Name
Sandro
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RAV4 C-HR
The M2 Competition is much more expensive, i was stating the price for the basic M2 which starts at 800.000kr or 90.000USD.

Fake vents?
Well, dang. I was looking forward to those side intakes.
Could it be maybe just the EU models comes with fake vents on the front bumper? There has been some prototypes spotted with functional vents. I'm assuming US versions?
The vents i was reffering to were all the small ones around the car, the main in the front is of course open.

Do you recall if the mirrors looked like the ones used on the prototypes / Z4?
As for the mirrors i dont recall the apperance, i was to obsessed by checking out the vents, engine room and getting a sit in both seets.

Also, there is no retractable spoiler, put the behind looked very nice and clean. The bulge was quite sexy.

CantEven_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Cayman GT4
Did you by chance get to turn on the electronics / aka get a good look at the digital tach etc. layout and the hud?

I'm wondering if Toyota is going to use the same HUD design / look they use in the Camry and other current models.....I'm hoping its a bit nicer looking given its bmw's unit for one (at least I think it would be) and that its the Supra. I know the HUD is a gimicky thing and yes....when I drive a car without one for awhile I don't really miss it.....but it is a cool and nice thing to have especially bmw's where when you scroll through phone book, or songs the list actually shows up on the hud as well

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
Did you by chance get to turn on the electronics / aka get a good look at the digital tach etc. layout and the hud?

I'm wondering if Toyota is going to use the same HUD design / look they use in the Camry and other current models.....I'm hoping its a bit nicer looking given its bmw's unit for one (at least I think it would be) and that its the Supra. I know the HUD is a gimicky thing and yes....when I drive a car without one for awhile I don't really miss it.....but it is a cool and nice thing to have especially bmw's where when you scroll through phone book, or songs the list actually shows up on the hud as well
In my opinion, after seeing the new BMW products at the LA auto show, the Supra's interior electronics look basically the same. So I assume the HUD will be the same.

chnco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKIV Toyota Supra, FC RX7, 360 Modena
What event was this for?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.