IAT decrease with Versus heat shield

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
I have a duct aimed at that area and on the track- only place I care about performance- as long as I am moving it will blow across the shield.

So far 3 or 4 track day’s with shield. Temps are fine and I am also pushing more boost which has increased heat Have been happy with the performance here in hot and humid VA summer temps

I will update if possible. I do not have any extraneous temp sensors in the bay. I can only really watch IAT at this point.

Verus is track focused. I think for daily drivers and cars and coffe folks here it really won’t matter. Couple 50 rolls on the back roads won’t elevate temps like 20/30 min sessions at 5-6k
Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
In god we trust, all others bring data. We will wait.
You can wait, I didn't spend all those years taking physics and thermodynamics classes in college to jam a sensor into an engine bay, I did enough of that in the labs. Or maybe I did. I don't really remember why I took all those classes.

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
I have a duct aimed at that area and on the track- only place I care about performance- as long as I am moving it will blow across the shield.
That sounds pretty cool. Do you have photos? Is this a custom duct you made or something that's already out there being sold?

FlynnZero

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal
You can wait, I didn't spend all those years taking physics and thermodynamics classes in college to jam a sensor into an engine bay, I did enough of that in the labs. Or maybe I did. I don't really remember why I took all those classes.
I took the same classes you did surely as I am an engineer also. Data bud, data. Slap some thermocouples on there, before and after, and educate us. Right now with no airflow, nothing is changing the heat dynamics. As a matter of fact, one thing that is surely happening is that the shield is acting like a heat sink.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That sounds pretty cool. Do you have photos? Is this a custom duct you made or something that's already out there being sold?
Will take some and DM you. With this crowd of engineers ;). I don’t need 20
Opinions of why and how it doesn’t work. Tracked for awhile and have done similar mods in other bmw platforms

All I can say it has worked for me

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I took the same classes you did surely as I am an engineer also. Data bud, data. Slap some thermocouples on there, before and after, and educate us. Right now with no airflow, nothing is changing the heat dynamics. As a matter of fact, one thing that is surely happening is that the shield is acting like a heat sink.

If someone can send me some links of what to buy and monitor I’m happy to spend some $ and time mounting a couple in and around turbo and shield. I track several times a month. Plenty of hit hard runs to gather data.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Right now with no airflow, nothing is changing the heat dynamics.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_radiation

Next time you’re standing in front of something very hot, like a campfire or stove, and you can feel the heat on your face despite the air temperature being normal, stick your hand or a piece of paper in between your face and the heat source and see how that changes. You don’t need air flow to transfer a ton of heat when you’re dealing with an object as hot as the exhaust housing on a turbo. If you are an engineer, you should know that radiative heat transfer is proportional to the temperature to the power of 4. That’s a really big number when you’re at 1000 K.

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
Will take some and DM you. With this crowd of engineers ;). I don’t need 20
Opinions of why and how it doesn’t work. Tracked for awhile and have done similar mods in other bmw platforms

All I can say it has worked for me
Heck yeah!

3TMagnetMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
I have the Verus 6 port turbo heat shield installed. Definitely helps reduce radiant heat from turbo housing. The next thing Im going to do is wrap the stock airbox with Thermo-Tec to help with keeping things cool. Also I have the Verus Hood Vent I want to install hopefully soon. I don't have actually data but any product that helps with heat reduction will be great to have.

Reactions: zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I have the Verus 6 port turbo heat shield installed. Definitely helps reduce radiant heat from turbo housing. The next thing Im going to do is wrap the stock airbox with Thermo-Tec to help with keeping things cool. Also I have the Verus Hood Vent I want to install hopefully soon. I don't have actually data. Any product that helps with heat reduction is welcomed.
Are you going to cut the hole yourself for the hoodvent? If you cut the hole yourself for the hood vent, can we all watch?