If you can’t get a 23 Supra what’s your back up plan…

Choose one

• Total voters

spectre

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
981 Boxster GTS, LX570
Imma just wait, since I'm not planning to get one until MY2025, anyway.
Sponsored

Kiske

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1988 FC3S, 2015 Evo X FE, 2018 tS, 2021 A90 3.0
My first Supra was the backup plan. Still trying for a local GT4 (or now a GT4RS) allocation.

I've pretty much already accepted I probably won't get one again. And cannot bring myself to try for an Emira. So once again, trying for a manual equipped Stratosphere or Absolute Zero 3.0 premium to replace my '21. TBH though neither color option is really what I want. Downshift and Tungsten are my choices out of the past colors.

I'm so annoyed with Toyota's half-assed information release, allocation system and the delay/markup schedules for the new models I don't even know if I want to pursue it much further.

I know that *if* I get into a 2023 manual, by the time it gets in my hands it will be only 1-2 months before the 2024 model is announced and then it will feel like a waste all over again if there is another update, a much more preferred color option or the GRMN trim.

All said and done if it doesn't work out I probably won't loose sleep, I already got the' 21 that I enjoy. I've also been itching to get back into a NA1 NSX, do a proper resto-mod that I could never even imagined 20 years ago.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I like how many of us (myself included) marked "Porsche" - because unless we're all hunting for used Macan's - it's harder not easier. Naturally my "backup plan" is same as @Kiske - keep the one I've got and worry about something else.

Honestly, I'm not really trying too hard. Local dealership wouldn't do MSRP on any orders... so they won't get my business (on either a GR Corolla or an A91-MT). If this winter is anything like I fear it will be (economically speaking)... then I'll be looking for some fire-sale bargains to appear in March.

SupraMKV2.0

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twinskrulldesign.com
Car(s)
2023 M550i, 2023 M340i, 2021 Supra
I hope this is just a bad joke.
Oh it’s a joke alright. I’ll reserve judgement until I see it in person, but it’s not lookin pretty.

JTN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nitro Yellow
I've been new car shopping for a while now, and the Supra was always on my short list. Other vehicles on my short list were the new M240i / M2, the new GR86, a 718 Cayman, and a few of the electric jobs.

I ruled out every electric car due to their heft and driving feel... the ones I test drove (Tesla Model 3 and the electric Bustang) feel like SUVs. I don't want an SUV. Finding a new or newer 718 in anything but S or GTS trim seems impossible, and we like to complain about Supra markups... yeeeeeesh the Porsche markups are redonkulus. The new GR86 seems just as hard to find as a new Supra, and coming from my current car I want something with more power than the GR86 offers.

Which leaves my "backups" as the M240i or the M2... and after seeing the newly leaked spy photos of the M2 this weekend all I can say is YUK. Which means my backup is the M240i. A local dealer shows one coming in soon, hopefully it isn't pre-sold so I can test drive it. If BMW is open to taking orders for M240i's with no markup, and there is still no sign of my Supra allocation by next year, I might go that way.

Gazoou

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Toyota 86
My main plan is to wait to see if I can get a manual premium Supra at msrp (or very close).

If that doesn’t work, I’ve honestly been thinking about getting a refreshed M340i. There comes a point where paying over 60k for a non-special edition Supra becomes ridiculous.

M240i is nice but may as well get the 4 doors.

I actually have a 2023 BRZ on order but after hearing about the RTV issue, was thinking it’s best to wait a few years on that (or never, the lack of power on that platform still gives me nightmares at times)

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
I don’t plan on getting a ‘23 Supra. I’m done with manual transmissions and an auto is a lateral move bcuz I still can’t tune it. When I’m done beating the shit outta the Supra I’ll likely get a Raptor R…

Kujiwara

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra AT Stratosphere, GLI32, SVT Cobra
Imma just wait, since I'm not planning to get one until MY2025, anyway.
Same here, waiting it out until MY 2024/25, I know my next car is gonna be a Supra but not in a rush, we all know they've are planning small updates every year or two.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I've been new car shopping for a while now, and the Supra was always on my short list. Other vehicles on my short list were the new M240i / M2, the new GR86, a 718 Cayman, and a few of the electric jobs.

I ruled out every electric car due to their heft and driving feel... the ones I test drove (Tesla Model 3 and the electric Bustang) feel like SUVs. I don't want an SUV. Finding a new or newer 718 in anything but S or GTS trim seems impossible, and we like to complain about Supra markups... yeeeeeesh the Porsche markups are redonkulus. The new GR86 seems just as hard to find as a new Supra, and coming from my current car I want something with more power than the GR86 offers.

Which leaves my "backups" as the M240i or the M2... and after seeing the newly leaked spy photos of the M2 this weekend all I can say is YUK. Which means my backup is the M240i. A local dealer shows one coming in soon, hopefully it isn't pre-sold so I can test drive it. If BMW is open to taking orders for M240i's with no markup, and there is still no sign of my Supra allocation by next year, I might go that way.
So with ya @JTN. Test drove all the similar ones you mentioned or friends that had em. I finally said why not consider the ZF trans... so I did and couldn't be happier!!!! I can't remember the last time I've had an automatic sports car. But this thing shifts like butter and less clunky than a friend's dual clutch PDK. Bottom line, if you had to settle with a car to get you by, maybe consider driving one of these Supra automatics until the supply starts outpacing the demand. They've been holding their values extremely well. Which is another plus :)

JTN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nitro Yellow
Bottom line, if you had to settle with a car to get you by, maybe consider driving one of these Supra automatics until the supply starts outpacing the demand. They've been holding their values extremely well. Which is another plus :)
I put in a deposit and have a preference in for a prem 3.0 nitro yellow manual OR failing that an auto, with no installed options other than the driver assist package.

The problem I have is my local dealer market. There ARE brand new 2022 Supras sitting on a dealer lot right now a stone's throw away from me... and they've been sitting there since spring. As you probably already guessed they are not priced in what I'd call a friendly way, and the dealer's willingness to reduce those prices is seemingly nonexistent... hence why those cars continue to sit.

I just find the current car market funny. 15 years ago when I bought my current car I had dealers throwing cars at me left and right, slashing thousands off the price trying to sell what they had. Now my only option for getting what I want is to wait and wish upon a star that the Toyota allocation fairy deems my dealer worthy of being allowed the honor to get and sell me what I want. The joke I make with friends is that I'm getting the Ferrari treatment... from Toyota.

YellowJacket

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Toyota Supra 3.0
If you want a Supra why not get a Supra. Nothing wrong with Used....find the right car and the right deal. So far these cars have been very stout. I wouldn't worry too much if you find a stock low mileage car.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I put in a deposit and have a preference in for a prem 3.0 nitro yellow manual OR failing that an auto, with no installed options other than the driver assist package.

The problem I have is my local dealer market. There ARE brand new 2022 Supras sitting on a dealer lot right now a stone's throw away from me... and they've been sitting there since spring. As you probably already guessed they are not priced in what I'd call a friendly way, and the dealer's willingness to reduce those prices is seemingly nonexistent... hence why those cars continue to sit.

I just find the current car market funny. 15 years ago when I bought my current car I had dealers throwing cars at me left and right, slashing thousands off the price trying to sell what they had. Now my only option for getting what I want is to wait and wish upon a star that the Toyota allocation fairy deems my dealer worthy of being allowed the honor to get and sell me what I want. The joke I make with friends is that I'm getting the Ferrari treatment... from Toyota.
Yeah, that does suck. It’s ridiculous actually. I went outside my area to get a good dealer and realistic price. At the time MSRP and paid $1000 to ship to me. In my mind, I’d rather support a good dealer and that transport price was minimal in the grand scheme of things (for me). If that’s an option for you? I did everything online until I found a flexible dealer that had inventory. It really wasn’t that bad. 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored